Photo competition #3, with a difference -WINNERS ANNOUNCED + PICS OF PRIZES

Here's one I haven't shown in a while. Not me using the knife, but it's future owner holding it. This knife was made the day she was born, Feb 3, 2012. It took a month or so for someone to find me a yellow Case peanut, but since receiving it, I've carried it every single day. I plan on giving it to her on her wedding day.

She was so little when she was born that the doctor called her "a little peanut," and her baby blanket is yellow, thus the significance of the pattern and colour.

IMAGE_1000000988.JPG

This isn't an entry, Duncan. I just wanted to say thanks for the giveaway. These photo competition threads are always fun to look through.

I also wanted to say congrats on the engagement. I know you will miss the bungalow, but I am also sure that you and Sue will create many happy memories in your new home.

Just for the heck of it, here's a pic of me in the kitchen yesterday cutting up some veggies for a side dish to go along with some pulled pork I made. I've got a little less facial hair than I did when I had my GA a couple months back.;)
dscf0474.jpg

Sorry, no pics of the actual food from yesterday, but here's a better look at the knife. I'd say it's somewhat traditional.
DSCF0150.jpg

And here's a view of the smoker. It was too hot to sit out by it yesterday, though. I'm actually a little envious of you guys in the middle of winter down there.
IMAG0030.jpg

Hi Duncan -

It has been hotter than the devil here the past week - but I was out in the garage working on a motorcycle so I had a friend take a shot while I was cutting some fuel line to size. I was using my old Vic Waiter.

DSC_6752.JPG

Image3.jpg

Image6.jpg

DSC_6750.JPG

It is supposed to be 40 degrees here tomorrow - celsius!

best

mqqn

Good morning everyone! We had a heck of a night running calls, and I had saved some peaches last night for today, so I decided to chow down!

IMAGE_1000001000.JPG

Oooooo......there's the 'stash making a good morning appearance!
IMAGE_1000001001.JPG

Delicious!
IMAGE_1000001002.JPG

Here I am, cutting the cheese already this morning!!
IMAGE_1000001003.JPG

And since it's Peanut day today, here's a picture of my Peanut snuggling with Daddy. :D. I'll tell you, if that won't make you feel like a big man, I don't know what will!

IMAGE_1000000999.JPG

**edited. Sorry Frank**

Last edited:
Today was the first day in a week that it hasn't been over 100*, so we took the littlest two kids to the zoo. My little boy walked up to a peacock and then about fell over backwards when it moved. His expression was so funny, my wife and I laughed for ten minutes about it.
IMAGE_1000001023.JPG

Then we all rode the train! Very fun day.
IMAGE_1000001027.JPG

IMAGE_1000001029.JPG

So fun in fact, that it tuckered all the poor babies out and they went to Ed early.

Now I know the picture thread is supposed to be us "using" our knives, but here I'm working on "making" my first slipjoint. Don't worry, when it's done I'll post pictures here first, the the Workshop area. Nickel silver bolster, black paper micarta scales, 3/32" A2 blade and spring, Nickel silver liners. Hopefully I can live up to my expectations.

IMAGE_1000001035.JPG

Awesome photos everyone, thank you so much, another week or so, and we will pick some winners folks, we yet to see a few more of our well known faces :eek:

Untitled.jpg

Aaahhh I s'pose theres always time to get one more in before closing .
My son Peter took this while we were waiting to go out this morning.
Double whammy as I'm using my "this months barlow".
cheers.

Awesome pics!.....VERY nice bit of Samba youve got there Meako.A lovely bit of antler under that velvet for sure!!.....MEDIC,s pic of his young gun and peacock are cool too!...peahens my favourite wild fowl (tastes like sweet chicken ..white flesh).....its bird season here now(NZ) for upland game and ducks.......FES

princessbling040.jpg

princessbling034.jpg

Fes, is that a peahen or something else? Here in the states we hunt pheasant, but we can only shoot the cocks, hens are off limits. I'm hoping to get some good hunting in this fall. Quail/Dove/Chuckar/Pheasant season will be here soon! Haven't had a chance to dust off those rods and reels this summer, but I think it's time to take the kids fishing and slow down a bit. :D Thanks Fes. Good stuff.

Medicevans!

Nice shots of you and your family... nice children :)

Thank you all other guys for making the nice pics.

@FES: You seem be a very talented hunter... nice shots of you and the fish/deer/birds you have down there at NZ.

Kind regards
Andi

MEDIC.....thats a pheasant (my best,32 bar tail ) and a quail in the pic.............

5 pheasants
feasants018.jpg

These are Pea hens
peacockhunt005.jpg

And a few ducks
DSCN1501.jpg

Hey Fes-those antlers are feral Javan Rusa which I think is a smaller Sambar like species. That said they carry massive antlers for their size. The original owner of this set didn't need them anymore. He was dead on the side of the road up the top of Mt Keira in the bush.At a guess he'd been hit by a truck the night before(he was pretty fresh).I had to hightail it to Sydney for a doctors appointment then I came back home ,got some "tools" and went up for the head. I had a good look at him and he appeared to have a tyre tread shaped mark on his side.Who knows?I can't imagine him being shot and left on the side like that. Although there is no shortage of idiots round here who are known to wing one and deem it too much effort to go after and finish it.
I thought if I take this head home my missus will hang mine on the fence next to it so I just bashed the antlers off with the axe.These are fully cooked and ready to rut. The deer have disappeared from out the back now. They seem to have formed their small groups into a big herd over on the hillside of Mt Nebo.

Thanks Andi. Those are only two of our five! It's hard to get them to sit still long enough to get a picture together.

Fes, you're making me want to get my bow out and make sure it's ready for deer this fall. I'm trying to find local ground to hunt dove on this year, but it's scarce around here. Mmmmm, dove.

Ps, I want to hunt pea hen. Also, I want to see what it tastes like. When can I come to NZ?

Awesome pics!.....VERY nice bit of Samba youve got there Meako.A lovely bit of antler under that velvet for sure!!.....MEDIC,s pic of his young gun and peacock are cool too!...peahens my favourite wild fowl (tastes like sweet chicken ..white flesh).....its bird season here now(NZ) for upland game and ducks.......FES

princessbling040.jpg

princessbling034.jpg

Fes,

Im not a hunter but I have to tell you...If I ever need to learn how to be completely self reliant...Im paying you a visit for a few weeks :D

Kevin

Well, apparently all of my posts are going to be about food.

I decided to make supper tonight at work instead of eating out. I only got interrupted twice, so that's too bad.

Chicken breast tenderloins
IMAGE_1000001038.JPG

Dicing them
IMAGE_1000001039.JPG

All diced up
IMAGE_1000001040.JPG

Yum!!
IMAGE_1000001041.JPG

All clean and ready to take a [short] nap. :D
IMAGE_1000001042.JPG

Back