Pictures here! Photo Thread

View attachment 2014254

Been rendering the suet from our most recent beef. Got the last of it from mom's and dad's freezer this morning. The ulu reigns supreme for dicing the frozen fat to throw in the Dutch oven.

Stupid question........ It's melted. Then what?
I know for years, I've just been giving it to the birds in Winter

drnRplm.jpg

View attachment 2014254

Been rendering the suet from our most recent beef. Got the last of it from mom's and dad's freezer this morning. The ulu reigns supreme for dicing the frozen fat to throw in the Dutch oven.
Nice to see an ulu being used. Have you tried one with double tang so your hand can grip in the middle? Watching an Alaskan Native elder woman fillet salmon with one is very humbling! Maybe a DM designed Magnacut super slicer in the future……🤣

Nice to see an ulu being used. Have you tried one with double tang so your hand can grip in the middle? Watching an Alaskan Native elder woman fillet salmon with one is very humbling! Maybe a DM designed Magnacut super slicer in the future……🤣

I have another with the double tang that I don't like near as much, and the split handle on that particular one is a bit small for my paw. It's also a little short in the blade to use on the leaf fat from a beefer.

What a wonderful looking pair of wharnies - the spicy "pickle" is the Kagitsume model.

But what is the pattern name for the top one with blue micarta handles? I already forgot.

View attachment 2011337

I received my Wharntastic and my Kagitsume this weekend, 2 days early. I LOVE THEM. They feel solid and have good comfortable grips, with very sharp blades.

Still, I want to suggest a new model called Wharntastical, which has the same 3.5" blade and overall look and feel, but with 1/2 - 3/4" longer grip for a full 4-finger grip.

IMG_1348.JPG
IMG_1354.JPG

The Kagitsume is the one that I ordered when the most recent Magnacut blanks were first announced a little while back. When I called dibs on the one-off Wharntastic which was already completed, David then went ahead and finished the Kagitsume right away so that they could ship together and save me $15 on shipping.

The Kagitsume was designed as a self defense wharncliffe by David's Martial Blade Concepts instructor Andy Keyworth. Outside of Andy and his crew, I might be the only other person with one so far, if I recall correctly.

IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG

I think the Speedy Weasel v0.9 blade is about 2.8" long, and Wharntastic is close to 3.5", and the Kagitsume blade is about 4" long. This pic of all three is with them lined up at the base of the blades where they meet the handle.

IMG_1346.JPG

The Kagitsume has a 4" blade, but the overall size is about the same as the Hinderer XM-18 with 3.5" blade, so it has more blade but less handle although useable handle length is the same due to the flipper on the XM-18.

IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG

The Wharntastic has approx 3.5" blade, but the overall size is about that of a Benchmade Mini Griptilian that has a 2.91" blade, So again more blade but less handle.

In the first pic below I lined up the tail of the Wharntastic and the Benchmade knives, showing that the blade tips end around the same place (Wharntastic is closer and so it looks bigger). Speedy Weasel v0.9 is just there for size comparison.

In the second pic I lined up the where the blade meets the grips on all four knives, to show that there is more blade and less grip vs Mini Griptilian.

IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG

Family Photo (need to measure them someday):

Itty Bitty Bitey Birdie approx 2.8" Magnacut blade
Speedy Weasel v0.9 approx 2.8" LC200N blade
Wharntastic approx 3.5" Magnacut blade and handle
Kagitsume 4" Magnacut blade

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

Back