PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say use your your best judgement as the PiF'er without being too draconian about it. I like to be open to multiples for a single PiF if I think that stuff will move; have done that with multiple of my higher end PiFs with pretty good luck so far. Every case is different. I think it would be a mistake to get too "rules lawyer-y" about it. We have made it this far with very few hard and fast rules other than overall value and by using our best judgement and mutual respect.

I say use your your best judgement as the PiF'er without being too draconian about it. I like to be open to multiples for a single PiF if I think that stuff will move; have done that with multiple of my higher end PiFs with pretty good luck so far. Every case is different. I think it would be a mistake to get too "rules lawyer-y" about it. We have made it this far with very few hard and fast rules other than overall value and by using our best judgement and mutual respect.
Welll than I have one idea a pif purge .. insert evil laugh here. Kidding trying to lighten up the mood

I do like the idea of some way to purge some of the PiF build up. I think the "no PiF required" was a good idea in theory, but that people have a hard time claiming without giving back, so things keep sitting out of pride/respect for the process.

To piggy back on the "purge" idea (from the single PiF aspect... not the good idea of purging the list... lol), I think that is mainly what we want to look out for. If you offer something you think will be useful, and it appears someone is just taking the opportunity to empty their junk drawer and profit... that might be the time to hit the brakes.

I have a question that I am asking here so as not to clutter the main thread. Whats everyone's thoughts on banking karma? I am asking because I have put up 8 knives and Multitools with no PIF required and all were claimed and received as far as I can recall.

My thought was I could offer this karma plus another knife if something comes up that I can't completely match in value with my current stash of knives.

There is nothing I am looking at now, but in the event something comes up I want to be ready. Is that something that people feel is acceptable to do?

I think it can be acceptable, and we have done it in the past with good results. Can get tricky keeping track of it, so it becomes incumbent on the "PiF Crew" and individual to police it and make sure it isn't abused. As long as overall value brought to the thread evens out. (e.g. one manix for one pm2 = good.... 3 or 4 decent folders of varying value for a really nice fixed blade, etc. = good... 3 rando ganzos, a remote control for a tv no one owns, and a kershaw for a Sebenza = not so good :D).

The trick with that will probably be limiting it so it is manageable by the group overall. It gets too hard to create a "bank" list you have to follow with the main list. So, here and there is good... but it gets hard to track if you are dropping 10+ items and never claiming anything. So, case by case I guess? Hate to tell people "don't PiF too much without anything in return," because that kind of selflessness is really the foundation of the idea... getting good stuff you aren't using in the hands of people that could use it.

I think it can be acceptable, and we have done it in the past with good results. Can get tricky keeping track of it, so it becomes incumbent on the "PiF Crew" and individual to police it and make sure it isn't abused. As long as overall value brought to the thread evens out. (e.g. one manix for one pm2 = good.... 3 or 4 decent folders of varying value for a really nice fixed blade, etc. = good... 3 rando ganzos, a remote control for a tv no one owns, and a kershaw for a Sebenza = not so good :D).

The trick with that will probably be limiting it so it is manageable by the group overall. It gets too hard to create a "bank" list you have to follow with the main list. So, here and there is good... but it gets hard to track if you are dropping 10+ items and never claiming anything. So, case by case I guess? Hate to tell people "don't PiF too much without anything in return," because that kind of selflessness is really the foundation of the idea... getting good stuff you aren't using in the hands of people that could use it.

I'm only at 8 so I guess I'm still within reason ;)

I'm only at 8 so I guess I'm still within reason ;)
9dbfbb3d895b3db929ce30c471a6addb.gif

:D

That reminds me a ny one want a dog I’ll pif it you. Just waiting for that hinderer . Comes with 30 lbs dog food . Kidding.

Maybe not an actually lost purge of all the items but stagnant items like the giveaway ifea

That reminds me a ny one want a dog I’ll pif it you. Just waiting for that hinderer . Comes with 30 lbs dog food . Kidding.

Maybe not an actually lost purge of all the items but stagnant items like the giveaway ifea

So...just a thought...SPD has been doing some amazing things on the PIF thread...what if the “stagnant items” were given to him because he is making sheaths and such...he seems to have people he can give away the rest to. :)

Good discussion! Just sos ya know - I'm at my core - a recalcitrant dude - self motivated and self disciplined enough that I bristle at RULES. SO - wasn't suggesting to impose rules on the PIF but rather just trying to offer some problem solving.
I do prefer that we just keep talking and course correcting if and when needed.

Deinos Deinos comments on stacking PIF karma is well said. When that Matt Diskin Fire come up Yimes Yimes I'll match your karma at light speed and raise you with another just in time PIF :rolleyes: :D

Ray

So...just a thought...SPD has been doing some amazing things on the PIF thread...what if the “stagnant items” were given to him because he is making sheaths and such...he seems to have people he can give away the rest to. :)
Not sure that he’s going to want my stagnant dog. But I’ll ask him

I just want everyone to know they goto a church for the young men as the leave the youth group. And its @sabre cat local church that I made the donation. I am not currently active at mine. I did under unanimous. But should this become a thing it would be announced that the pif thread from Blade Forums donated the knives. I could also make sure they are spread across several chapters of the church so many communities are touched by the generous nature of the pif thread. With sabre cat in tow.

So...umm...i feel like i need to let my thoughts out, so you all know my stance.
South paw draw South paw draw D2 “kwaiken style” knife is a direct clone of another well known knife.

This forum frowns upon clones, and im just not sure we should be PIF-ing them, as that looks as tho we are supporting clones.

Also, i have a lot of respect for the Holts, and they make a quality quality product.

If i am out of line, i will delete this post. Just know that i am not a fan of clones, no matter how well they are done.

S&F

I am right there with you S & F! You pick a high end Reate quality blade and toss up a clone! Sorry but that is bad JuJu.....

I am right there with you S & F! You pick a high end Reate quality blade and toss up a clone! Sorry but that is bad JuJu.....
To be fair here, the Reate was claimed on a massive amount of PiF karma. The other knife was put up as an extra no PiF required.

I did a Google image search got Holt Knives and only saw something similar in handle sorta, but blade shape was very different. Maybe I'm not seeing the model you guys are seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back