PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typed this and saw South paw draw South paw draw ’s post so I did a copy pasta

I don’t think we need to complicate the Karma thing. It is good for the thread. It’s done a lot for a lot of people. Many posters will accept a PIF on karma. But that does not make one that won’t a bad person at all.

The “rules” are pretty simple and I think we need to keep them that way to keep this thread open. I re-read the rules and they make it clear that the counter PIF is accepted by the original poster.

The only change I would propose is that the offer and acceptance be between the two parties either by PM or email so that no one feels pressured. This “I’ll claim that and put something else up later” works for no PIF but for regular stuff it just feels a little too close to the exchange forum.

Just my thoughts. FWTW.

I typed this and saw South paw draw South paw draw ’s post so I did a copy pasta

I don’t think we need to complicate the Karma thing. It is good for the thread. It’s done a lot for a lot of people. Many posters will accept a PIF on karma. But that does not make one that won’t a bad person at all.

The “rules” are pretty simple and I think we need to keep them that way to keep this thread open. I re-read the rules and they make it clear that the counter PIF is accepted by the original poster.

The only change I would propose is that the offer and acceptance be between the two parties either by PM or email so that no one feels pressured. This “I’ll claim that and put something else up later” works for no PIF but for regular stuff it just feels a little too close to the exchange forum.

Just my thoughts. FWTW.
Dang, just came here to say pretty much the same thing. Missed south paw’s post I guess. Simple and easy and leaves it off the thread.

*The only change I would propose is that the offer and acceptance be between the two parties either by PM or email so that no one feels pressured. This “I’ll claim that and put something else up later” works for no PIF but for regular stuff it just feels a little too close to the exchange forum.

Just my thoughts. FWTW.

I think this is a big piece of the problem and should be taken out of the thread. I'm not sure when it become customary but it is a more recent trend to post in the thread like it's a sales ad, "I'll take it." IMO, the private deals between two people should remain private as best as possible, communicate the results as desired. I feel similarly about posting pictures or, this arrived today, except that I think it's fine to do so but should not be expected and I feel like it's expected more lately. The thread shouldn't be the place to do the typical, "I'll take it, shipped, arrived, YAY!" pieces of the process. With the amount of activity lately, it ads a page or two of dialog a day. And, to your point, if the PIF offer is rejected, the "I'll take it" piece is now misleading and the person could be offended they didn't get it.

And I agree on the karma thing, the original poster of the item does have the final say in who he/she sends their item to.

I think this is a big piece of the problem and should be taken out of the thread. I'm not sure when it become customary but it is a more recent trend to post in the thread like it's a sales ad, "I'll take it." IMO, the private deals between two people should remain private as best as possible, communicate the results as desired. I feel similarly about posting pictures or, this arrived today, except that I think it's fine to do so but should not be expected and I feel like it's expected more lately. The thread shouldn't be the place to do the typical, "I'll take it, shipped, arrived, YAY!" pieces of the process. With the amount of activity lately, it ads a page or two of dialog a day. And, to your point, if the PIF offer is rejected, the "I'll take it" piece is now misleading and the person could be offended they didn't get it.

And I agree on the karma thing, the original poster of the item does have the final say in who he/she sends their item to.
I have a suggestion that maybe we post our. Look at what came today. Pictures here. Seems it would make things alot cleaner on the pif thread. I star5this thread to help out JupiterPaladin keep the pif thread a bit easier for him and I feel particularly responsible for making that a problem. I want to apologize to @JupiterPaladin for making a side thread then not using it as intended. I'll do my part to bring the chit chat over here. I enjoy hanging out with all of you guys. You have all become part on my little tribe and I like to hear about your day and tell you a little about mine.

So with that said . Tomorrow @sabre cat will be back on the road god willing and I fear that all women and children should fear for there lives once he's back up and running. I'm totally kidding. But really gonna get his jeep finished tomorrow.

I earlier today stated a definite interest and that I would discuss my offering later but I at least tried to word that I was didn’t know off hand what I could offer but if I failed to make a suitable offer or was unable to find a suitable offering then I was passing on it. I understand the “need” to jump on some items and that many have the honor and rep to be trusted they will make a suitable offering but I feel it should more be a “Please consider me first while I take time to come up with an offering”. I don’t know about others but I check the forums from work and/or my phone in addition to checking from my home computer. We don’t all have a list of items in mind collecting dust that others would enjoy.

South paw draw South paw draw made the point that we should move this discussion here.

I do get concerned that the more we talk about rules and such in the PIF...well the less room there is for knives and such plus other possible ramifications...

I just had a convo in PM stating the same thing with someone else. The rules come up at least once a week lately and it's really clogging things up. The rules are guidelines, nothing more, but they have shown to work pretty well. I also don't think we need to over-complicate it, it's an autonomous, volunteer run thing where each participant manages their little part within the thread. Very few things actually need a higher level discussion and I honestly think most of those should be taken to PM or email, like the development of the guidelines was done Many were not included, the group of us who have been around since the start of the thread had a private discussion about it to try and keep things simple and smooth.

I don't want to bash on people bringing up the rules for discussion, but the conversation is annoying to see so often. I do think it would be beneficial if it didn't come up so much and the same/similar conversation ensues each time. It feels like facebook some days, a lot of redundancy. I don't know how Jupiter keeps up with it. I would've been lost if I was still running the list. It was many times slower in the 1st 100 pages or so of the thread, but we had less "grief" because of it to I think. It's like dealing with growing pains at work when something comes in and stirs the pot a bit.

Some items are going fast, so I understand the feeling of needing to jump on something fast if you really want it. That said, I agree something more like pm incoming makes more sense. We have had some bumpy patches lately but seem to police ourselves fairly well and I hope we do again. This thread has been great and after a long hiatus of not coming on this forum it has revived my interest in knives. Personally I like the posts when someone receives a pif, it lets the small community we have going enjoy it along with them.

Edit to add: south paw had a great idea I just saw! Bring the posts here after we have received something and the eventual posts after discussing will definitely clean it up over there.

Last edited:
The pif thread has so much chatter about all kinds of things that go on and on. I read quite a bit in the beginning. Came pack 30 to 40 pages later and it's quite a bit different. No bad just full of tons of chatter. Seems like a trading club for 6 to 10 people. Not bitching I like the thread.

This sub thread is a good idea for all of the chatter.

The pif thread has so much chatter about all kinds of things that go on and on. I read quite a bit in the beginning. Came pack 30 to 40 pages later and it's quite a bit different. No bad just full of tons of chatter. Seems like a trading club for 6 to 10 people. Not bitching I like the thread.

The underlined piece is what worries me a little. That was usually when the previous PIF threads were shut down. However, I suppose at some point, when everyone has found what they want and assuming more people don't join in, the people who have been stalking the thread are likely to re-enter.

I think a few of us are on the verge of "over-participation," myself included.

The underlined piece is what worries me a little. That was usually when the previous PIF threads were shut down. However, I suppose at some point, when everyone has found what they want and assuming more people don't join in, the people who have been stalking the thread are likely to re-enter.

I think a few of us are on the verge of "over-participation," myself included.
This makes sense to me. I am new here only on the thread for a month or so, this is my normal if you will. I am sure it ebbs and flows. Hopefully moving things here will help. It does seem like there are a few like myself who spend more time on the thread then others and therefore see things right when they pop up. I am sure it is frustrating for others who lead busy lives and can only stop in from time to time see the good stuff snatched up in a matter of minutes. I have only claimed one item, but have been very fortunate to be on the receiving end of a lot of generosity. For me I have to sell a knife to get one these days, so this thread has been a blessing. I have pif what I can at the moment and will continue to do so. There is a great group here and personalities will clash from time to time as written words are taken the wrong way. We are all adults and should act accordingly. Forgive the rambling as I do have a brain injury;) Hope you all have a great weekend!

I earlier today stated a definite interest and that I would discuss my offering later but I at least tried to word that I was didn’t know off hand what I could offer but if I failed to make a suitable offer or was unable to find a suitable offering then I was passing on it. I understand the “need” to jump on some items and that many have the honor and rep to be trusted they will make a suitable offering but I feel it should more be a “Please consider me first while I take time to come up with an offering”. I don’t know about others but I check the forums from work and/or my phone in addition to checking from my home computer. We don’t all have a list of items in mind collecting dust that others would enjoy.

Yes, impossible to keep up if you can't check the thread 3 times each (or more) and easy to miss a great offering unless you can "jump" on it. Will likely be gone by the time yo get home from work. :( Legitimate concern.

Some items are going fast, so I understand the feeling of needing to jump on something fast if you really want it. That said, I agree something more like pm incoming makes more sense. We have had some bumpy patches lately but seem to police ourselves fairly well and I hope we do again. This thread has been great and after a long hiatus of not coming on this forum it has revived my interest in knives. Personally I like the posts when someone receives a pif, it lets the small community we have going enjoy it along with them.
Edit to add: south paw had a great idea I just saw! Bring the posts here after we have received something and the eventual posts after discussing will definitely clean it up over there.

Maybe enough to just say DIBS and PM sent. Seems to work well that the PIFer has the first review of your counter offer and so the last word. I agree, best all done in private. 1st to say dibs and/or send the PM logically should be 1st in line to be rejected or accepted.

I have been trying to note the last page number of PIF every time I sign off because it has been going so damn fast. :eek: :rolleyes:
Please, please I welcome that ALL chatter - foods talk, car talk, look what I got talk (guilty, mea culpa) take place in this thread. I have been frustrated by pages of unrelated PIF discussion and too, have started to think that we have created a "club". Too old and ornery to feel like an outsider ;) but I can certainly understand a casual or new visitor feeling this way.
I will discipline myself to return to this thread for side talk and photos.

As for the rules - there are none. There are guidelines made especially necessary these last few months of fast and furious.
Amazing how well the PIF has retained its purpose and process. The keepers of the list have been essential. They have offered a service without which there would be no PIF. Thanks my brothers!

AS for NO PIF, I appreciate the gesture but as the person putting up an offer for PIF will not be the person receiving the counter offer why not just let it be a PIF for a PIF. 1 for 1, or 3 for 1 that decision could be made in the PM discussion. Yes, this will make the list longer (kind of the purpose of PIF is to have stuff to choose from) but the "karma" thing remains 1:1. Offer today and claim tomorrow (so to speak). Works well and avoids confusion and/or conflict. I vote no more NO PIF.

Ray

Last edited:
I would like to say to at @strongbear0 and @WValtakis, in my opinion only, this little issue is the confusion of intentions. Both are great!
To my understanding, one of you wanted to use your Karma to claim and rePIF as a no PIF! Cool.
On the other hand, the other person wanted to have multiple value items on the thread, and PIFed a high end knife without claiming one to get things going.
I can see both sides.
This truly is an argument over generosity. Hopefully you can both work it out, because you are both assets to the PIF thread.

Also, perhaps, and only perhaps, people who post a PIF leave it up unclaimed for a day...others can claim and offer their PiF in return through PM...at the end of the day, the original PIF-er can see what is the best acceptable counterPIF to them. :) That would give most members a chance. :)

My thoughts for what they are worth.
Sharp & Fiery

What the hell was all that about? A member can use banked credit to acquire but not another. I don’t get it- I do think someone owes @strongbear0 an apology. The man has been VERY generous in his PIF listings!!
That’s only my opinion.
@WValtakis
@woodysone @JupiterPaladin bikerector bikerector

Correct, but on the other end of the guidelines is that the person making the offer can choose what is or isn't an acceptable offer. It needs to be a mutual understanding between those two individuals and shouldn't have been drug out into public like it did. I don't see either person as right or wrong in this as there was a difference of opinion/desires and both have followed what I think is the spirit of the thread. One guy has a huge bank of goodness to claim what he wishes and the other wants to offer a high-end knife to see some other high-end stuff circulating the thread. Accepting a payment of karma kills that attempt. I think both people's hearts are in the right place.

Normally, dropping something like the hinderer in the thread really adds some life to the thread. We have a ton of life and activity already/still so it may just be poor timing to try and ramp things up again.

I'm fairly poaitive things will work their way out but there is going to be a little bit of a fallout from the thread becoming a bit overwhelming and over-active for a while and a bit into being unsustainable. We'll get back to homeostasis I think, unfortunatelt with a few less people interested in the PIF thread, but I don't think that can be helped. The over-activity pushed a few people away too as it was a part-time job just knowing what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back