PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pif thread has so much chatter about all kinds of things that go on and on. I read quite a bit in the beginning. Came pack 30 to 40 pages later and it's quite a bit different. No bad just full of tons of chatter. Seems like a trading club for 6 to 10 people. Not bitching I like the thread.

This sub thread is a good idea for all of the chatter.

This pretty much sums up my feelings at this point. I have claimed some low end and very high end knives from the thread. I cannot express how much I appreciate the generosity I have received. Here recently the spirit of this has changed. Seems like it always does. I've been involved in several of these threads and it always ends the same. I tried to claim something recently and it ended up being "out bid" basically which is a trade not a PIF. I was going to throw something of greater value up but decided to just back out. Wasn't fun anymore. I'm not part of the club I guess was the feeling. No hard feelings on this and I'm not trying to call anyone out. Just want to give some feedback. I like to try out different types of designs and have done over 100 trades on the forum. So now my problem is if I post one of the knives I've received from the PIF for trade I'm a jerk. If anyone I have received a PIF from feels like I owe them please contact me via PM. I'd be glad to send the knife back to you even. If not I will consider the knife mine to do with as I please.. Just so you know, if I sent something to you it belongs to you. Do whatever you want with it. Sorry for the rant. I usually just keep my mouth shut. LOL. Best of luck everyone.

Keith

This pretty much sums up my feelings at this point. I have claimed some low end and very high end knives from the thread. I cannot express how much I appreciate the generosity I have received. Here recently the spirit of this has changed. Seems like it always does. I've been involved in several of these threads and it always ends the same. I tried to claim something recently and it ended up being "out bid" basically which is a trade not a PIF. I was going to throw something of greater value up but decided to just back out. Wasn't fun anymore. I'm not part of the club I guess was the feeling. No hard feelings on this and I'm not trying to call anyone out. Just want to give some feedback. I like to try out different types of designs and have done over 100 trades on the forum. So now my problem is if I post one of the knives I've received from the PIF for trade I'm a jerk. If anyone I have received a PIF from feels like I owe them please contact me via PM. I'd be glad to send the knife back to you even. If not I will consider the knife mine to do with as I please.. Just so you know, if I sent something to you it belongs to you. Do whatever you want with it. Sorry for the rant. I usually just keep my mouth shut. LOL. Best of luck everyone.

Keith
Don’t consider it a rant at all and appreciate you, brother! Open, honest dialog will be the only way this thing gets salvaged

Well kind of :rolleyes: Did you look at his spelling :D He was writing fast with auto correct having a ball (or not).:eek:
I agree though - well said bikerector bikerector

Ray

I can't spell for a darn when typing from my phone. Things get really interesting when I post before coffee. I don't use autocorrect because it doesn't acknowledge scientific words and that's my day job, so it ticks me off too much.

What the hell was all that about? A member can use banked credit to acquire but not another. I don’t get it- I do think someone owes @strongbear0 an apology. The man has been VERY generous in his PIF listings!!
That’s only my opinion.
WValtakis WValtakis
woodysone woodysone @JupiterPaladin bikerector bikerector
People were asking for higher end stuff...I posted up the Hinderer for 1:1 without claiming anything to get the ball rolling. I got some x:1 offers, and then @strongbear0 mentions banked karma. I clarify my intentions with the Hinderer again and get "I’ve got a good bit of banked karma so I could claim it and just PIF something of my choosing." Nothing about his intentions of putting the Hinderer back up as no-PIF as he posted later...so yeah, I pulled it to avoid the drama. If that makes me the asshole, so be it... it if he had simply been open about his intentions instead of being so adamant about Karma being universal most of this drama could have been avoided.

I don’t have an issue w/ No PiF offers but to me you don’t bank karma from a No PiF. You can offer an item without having claimed something with the “karma” or more precise right to claim something of equal value later. I have items I have discussed offering in some manner w/o a PiF and no intent to claim something later.

My one and only post here is going to be a statement of how amusing I find it that the idea of "Paying it forward" has been corrupted and turned into a currency in the form of "banked karma". "I gave things away, except I didn't really give them away, I gave them to other people with the expectation* that in so doing, it grants me a bankable currency that I am then able to claim something else of my choosing in this online swap meet we got going on." The proof is 100% in how one member in specific got angry and flounced out, because suddenly the currency he expected to have in the bank was decidedly no good. In fact, the entire logic of "banked karma" is poor, because all it takes is one set of people "banking karma" up to run into some other posters in that thread who, all they have to say is, "Sorry, Banked Karma is not accepted for my tra...sorry, for this item." and then you suddenly have a situation where the swap meet hits a snag.

This entire situation makes a sham of the very concept of "paying it forward". "Paying it forward" is what happens when you got a raise at work, and decide to pay the tab in the drivethrough for the car behind you with no expectation of any sort of recompense, monetary or otherwise. You know, putting some actual, no strings attached good karma out in the universe. What's not "paying it forward" is "I'm going to put this item down here on this digital blanket, so that I can pick up another item of my choosing." That whole thread really needs to be relabeled for what it actually is: the Blade Forums horse-trading Thread.

I'm not attacking anyone personally, because frankly a couple friends of mine are participants in this swap meet. I don't even have any emotional connection here, I'm just taking amusement from the drama that got generated when a desirable knife was suddenly offered, with the caveat that "sorry, your imaginary swap meet galactic credits aren't valued at this fruit stand" caused some outta joint feelings. That's not karma or "paying it forward", that's "I expected these Peggats to be honored" and someone else said "Sorry bub, we ain't on Tatooine anymore."

Anyway, enjoy your Saturday! :)

*Key word here.

Gang, last post here. I was going back through another thread "somewhere else" and the OP of this thread tried to explain what he had been trying to accomplish. My apologies for being a d-bag. I am leaving my posts, because hey, I posted 'em, and deleting them know seems like I'd be trying to hide my comments.

You guys, sorry for poking you, I won't post in here again. @BellaBlades sorry about that, man. You gents have a good evening.

I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong!! Wow.

My one and only post here is going to be a statement of how amusing I find it that the idea of "Paying it forward" has been corrupted and turned into a currency in the form of "banked karma". "I gave things away, except I didn't really give them away, I gave them to other people with the expectation* that in so doing, it grants me a bankable currency that I am then able to claim something else of my choosing in this online swap meet we got going on." The proof is 100% in how one member in specific got angry and flounced out, because suddenly the currency he expected to have in the bank was decidedly no good. In fact, the entire logic of "banked karma" is poor, because all it takes is one set of people "banking karma" up to run into some other posters in that thread who, all they have to say is, "Sorry, Banked Karma is not accepted for my tra...sorry, for this item." and then you suddenly have a situation where the swap meet hits a snag.

This entire situation makes a sham of the very concept of "paying it forward". "Paying it forward" is what happens when you got a raise at work, and decide to pay the tab in the drivethrough for the car behind you with no expectation of any sort of recompense, monetary or otherwise. You know, putting some actual, no strings attached good karma out in the universe. What's not "paying it forward" is "I'm going to put this item down here on this digital blanket, so that I can pick up another item of my choosing." That whole thread really needs to be relabeled for what it actually is: the Blade Forums horse-trading Thread.

I'm not attacking anyone personally, because frankly a couple friends of mine are participants in this swap meet. I don't even have any emotional connection here, I'm just taking amusement from the drama that got generated when a desirable knife was suddenly offered, with the caveat that "sorry, your imaginary swap meet galactic credits aren't valued at this fruit stand" caused some outta joint feelings. That's not karma or "paying it forward", that's "I expected these Peggats to be honored" and someone else said "Sorry bub, we ain't on Tatooine anymore."

*Key word here.

I can't argue with your current post. You made a similar comment a year ago. At that point, the thread was "more pure" (if that is a thing), and you even commented to that fact later on. But, I think the original intention has devolved a little. Entropy is a force, even in small corners of the universe like a knife forum...

I hope it can find its way again, because it is a nice little experiment when taken at face value (it is what got me interested when it first started out).

Have a good weekend!

My one and only post here is going to be a statement of how amusing I find it that the idea of "Paying it forward" has been corrupted and turned into a currency in the form of "banked karma". "I gave things away, except I didn't really give them away, I gave them to other people with the expectation* that in so doing, it grants me a bankable currency that I am then able to claim something else of my choosing in this online swap meet we got going on." The proof is 100% in how one member in specific got angry and flounced out, because suddenly the currency he expected to have in the bank was decidedly no good. In fact, the entire logic of "banked karma" is poor, because all it takes is one set of people "banking karma" up to run into some other posters in that thread who, all they have to say is, "Sorry, Banked Karma is not accepted for my tra...sorry, for this item." and then you suddenly have a situation where the swap meet hits a

*Key word here.
Well said Sir! Kind of wish I would have kept that map back to Tatooine though, life was more fun when there was something to look forward to.

You are right Quiet Quiet I think myself and others have lost that in the shuffle of the movement. I can still understand how and why one a generous participant might see something that really draws their attention and asks to use his/her karma of their past good will to claim something. I still have mixed feelings of the “karma” particularly after your slap of reality and spirit in our face. I will add that in the karma system of offering and claiming later it is generally bad form to claim what was offered for your offering as that becomes a trade.

A walk down memory lane, and I'm sure I'm missing some but these are a few I've claimed and use occasionally or regularly. I think the MT's are what I've used the most, followed by the lights. Just remembered there's another fenix light in here I didn't capture.

Buck 110 in 154cm from TLE. I got goaded into this one after expressing some interest because my step-dad always carried one and I never actually owned one. I claimed something else a little before this so I didn't want to claim it, but they convinced me. It's been a nice one to get out and admire and I am sure to use it every now and then. TLE knows how to make a knife edge sexy.

The dozier folder was a set with a mora and older timer hunter that I have stored for my boy when he gets bigger. I want to say this was from RayseM. I claimed another classic mora with wood handles that has seen a lot of use around the house and garage and it hangs above my work bench on a beaded chain. Convexxed the edge and added some contouring the the handle to make it custom to my hand.

The bottom fixed blade is one I haven't used much yet. I put a thinner edge on it at the belt grinder but haven't been out to the woods yet with it. Memories pending :)

I believe the wave was from Pearly Baker. I carried this daily in my man purse for work but now I have it sitting on my desk to use when small house chores come up.

I think the boker techtool was from Deinos. This thing was a surprise. I used this pretty regularly and I used it for a remodel project as my primary saw and blade for putting up wood paneling in my boys room to do a woodland theme. It's pretty BA. I'm jealous of my kids room.

The light was from sabre cat. This has taken the dog on a number of late night walks and I carry it frequently during low night walks in case a light will be needed.

The hogue is a new one too that I'm working on getting up and running. Very cool blade from a newer member in the PIF thread but very thankful to have this and try out my first hogue plunge lock.

Lastly, the F1 gifted from Roachbelly as a response to a PIF I sent him. This as resulted in a "PIF war" of sorts of us trying to out kindness the other. Even in a trade between the two of us, the man sends me a bunch of Milwaukee tool accessories because he saw I claimed the impact driver (should be here today I think!). This was on top of the trade we had arranged, a GEC for a bugout.

^This is the material stuff I've gotten from the thread but the relationships are the part that I've prized the most. Even as much as sending a "woodsman start kit" to one of the guys who was new almost a year ago when this thread was still fairly new and the list only had 10-20 items or so on it at a time. There's some stuff I won't give away just because it came from someone I value, and sometimes I can't even remember who that person was because I suck at names. But, I know they were good to work with and eventually my memory will come back and I'll remember who that was.

So to all of you, cheers and thank you! And thank you bladeforums for letting us keep this thread open with this band of misfits for so long. I look forward to the continued entertainment and camaraderie.

dxfBh6il.jpg

Last edited:
So, the "Karma" thing only started because Martin was too damn humble;) to grab something he liked after being so ridiculously generous...we encouraged him for "karma", and now it's snowballed into this debacle:(. The thread was running just fine for over a year on the "grab something, leave something equivalent" basis...

So, the "Karma" thing only started because Martin was too damn humble to grab something he liked after being so ridiculously generous...we encouraged him for "karma", and now it's snowballed into this debacle. The thread was running just fine for over a year on the "grab something, leave something equivalent" basis...
I'm sorry if I was the one that started this whole mess Chip, was just trying to get rid of some blades that I knew would never get used. Well hopefully this can get back on track and we can all benefit again.;)

Is the unclaimed PIF list too large?

I'm sorry if I was the one that started this whole mess Chip, was just trying to get rid of some blades that I knew would never get used. Well hopefully this can get back on track and we can all benefit again.;)
So not your fault Martin, if anything it was thrust upon you (like all greatness:))

Keith
I forget what I sent you but you are all clear to chuck it in the river if you see fit :D
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back