• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PP fees

As some others have said I just move on when I see all that BS.

I mean for Pete sake you didn’t have 3rd grade arithmetic? You, as a seller can’t decide how much you want to charge? You have to make it a word problem out of grade school by saying add this or that % or NET TO ME or some other hoop you have to jump through just buy your knife.

Nope not me. As I said in my first sentence I just move on.

Mark T.

LOL! From what I have seen in the Exchange, many, if not most of the people who post NET or NET TO ME have no idea what that means. I saw one yesterday that said "net shipped and PP" I assume that he will cover PP fees and shipping.

If you don't know what NET means, in this case, when you sell something, NET it means what you want in your pocket for the item. If you say $100 net, that means that shipping and any fees cost extra. Example: $100 for the item plus $3 for PP fees plus $8 for shipping = $111.

Several years ago, I bought a knife for $150. The seller said NET TO ME. I really wanted the knife, so I wrote to the seller and asked what the total price would be? He wrote back and said $150. So, he didn't know what NET meant.

I remember way back when all of this net to me business started. I always assumed it metastasized from some other part of the internet that was infected with it.

I don't want to do math anymore as a buyer than as a seller when I have listed things for sale I always figure a estimated price based on expected costs to me in the listing, selling, or shipping of an item. I know roughly what it costs to ship and can easily check that too for items/packages to have an estimated amount to add for that and it is easy to figure roughly what fees you pay with PP. There is little reason to have the buyer do all the work when the seller has the item and packaging information to estimate shipping costs and knows the fees they are going to pay. If you want to be precise make a simple excel/spreadsheet document with some formulas you just plug in the sale price and boom there is a fee for you.

Somewhat, or completely, off topic but PayPal is not a very good system outside of eBay. I use it of course and unless the person IS a friend I figure the fees, and shipping into the price. But their fees are outrageous.

In Canada, the majority of domestic person to person online transactions are paid through emt (electronic money transfer). My bank account to your bank account. The fee is about $1.50 per transaction. Doesn't matter if its $50 or $500, the fee is $1.50. There is no "buyer/seller protection", provided by this service but I have never used this supposed insurance once in likely over 100,000 in PayPal fund transfers. Thats $3,000 and counting in fees. Plus it is far superior having money put into my account than into the abyss of PayPal where it never becomes liquid cash as I just buy more knives.

Somewhat, or completely, off topic but PayPal is not a very good system outside of eBay. I use it of course and unless the person IS a friend I figure the fees, and shipping into the price. But their fees are outrageous.

In Canada, the majority of domestic person to person online transactions are paid through emt (electronic money transfer). My bank account to your bank account. The fee is about $1.50 per transaction. Doesn't matter if its $50 or $500, the fee is $1.50. There is no "buyer/seller protection", provided by this service but I have never used this supposed insurance once in likely over 100,000 in PayPal fund transfers. Thats $3,000 and counting in fees. Plus it is far superior having money put into my account than into the abyss of PayPal where it never becomes liquid cash as I just buy more knives.

Many people here have been made whole by PayPal after being scammed by unscrupulous sellers...well worth the 3% in my opinion and I will continue to use Goods & Services payments for just that reason.

My gut feeling is PP fees are a bit high, since they most often arbitrate claims rather than pay claims. However this is just a gut feeling and I have no idea how much arbitrating costs the company. I feel USPS insurance is too high also and so are my groceries. Bottom line it is what they charge and if you use or buy the service it is what it costs. I have no problem with alternate methods of payment and the more the better, as long as both parties understand what they are getting into. There is a problem using F&F as an alternate form of payment. That is not a choice, but misuse and defrauding PP.
For most people and most transactions PP G&S is the smart(insurance) way to go and alternate methods are a gamble. I have never made a claim with PP or USPS insurance and would be well ahead if I used neither, but then again I could have had a problem on my 1st transaction (or next) then where would I be.

What are the PayPal G&S fees in Canada?

What are the PayPal G&S fees in Canada?

I just Googled them. Not exactly what I would call outrageous.

Here they are:

Sales within Canada:2.9% + $0.30 CAD per transaction
Discount rate for charities registered with the Canada Revenue Agency:1.6% + $0.30 CAD per transaction
Sales to the US:3.7% transaction fee + fixed fee based on the currency received
International sales (excluding the US):3.9% transaction fee + fixed fee based on the currency received*

*The US fixed fee is $0.30USD.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

How about we self regulate by PM'ing the seller saying, "Love the knife but won't deal with PP cheater/Net to me/plus shipping and insurance types. If you had just put a firm price including everything you might have made a sale!" If enough people do this he/she will get a stuffed in box but no offers.

How about we self regulate by PM'ing the seller saying, "Love the knife but won't deal with PP cheater/Net to me/plus shipping and insurance types. If you had just put a firm price including everything you might have made a sale!" If enough people do this he/she will get a stuffed in box but no offers.

That’s great fine and wonderful but it doesn’t work guys. There’s still way to many of us that will bitch about it on a thread like this but go right ahead and still buy the knife or whatever the item is. Don’t believe me, go look on the FS Forum. There lots of ads with “F&F, net to me, etc. and they still sell relatively quick. And not all are bought by “newbies”. Plenty are bought by guys like me, gold members with 10+ years on here and high feedback scores.
I stand by what I had said earlier as unpleasant as it may be. Until the mods. make it a rule nothing will change no matter how much you want it to.

Vr
Mark T.

If I have to do the math for you, I'm gonna do it all wrong so I can get it cheaper...:thumbsup: That's your own damn fault to tell someone to add 3.5%, because some people can't do math worth a squat.

Spark makes the rules and I don't see it as his job to make people - sellers or buyers - stop cheating PP.

I don't just not buy the FF types. I put them on ignore.

YMMV

I bought a knife yesterday and paid via G and S. The knife was worth $1000, he never mentioned NET or F+F, also, I even sent the guy $ 1014.
Here is what I got as a response from the seller:

"Rich I checked paypal and since you decided to pay G&S they obviously charged me. It was 1000 net to me for the skike. The G&S fee is your responsibility. "

At this point, I just asked for a refund. To which he replied:

"I can issue a refund in the amount of 969.08 if youd like. Paypal has the remaining 30.92.

You can try to cancel the transaction on your end if its an option

If you are new to the knife community as you stated you should understand that the amount agreed upon is always NET to the seller. If you wish to send G&S that is your decision to secure your transaction, or to put an “insurance” on it and is Always the buyers responsiblity. Why would the seller agree to pay for insurance on YOUR purchase. Doesn’t make sense."

So, I still sent the $ 30.92, since he was only willing to give me back $ 969.08, as a refund for my $ 1014.

He did send me the knife this morning. I found this thread and sent him the link. He then responded with:

"Rich. You saying i should pay a fee to sell my knife is like me saying you’re responsible for shipping it. The price of the knife was 1000, which was the amount due. You could of bypassed this by paying F/F but YOU, not I, wanted to send it G/S. I will be more than glad to split the cost just so there’s no hard feelings"

To which I responded:

No hard feelings at all. I just assumed it was goods and services, you assumed I was going to pay F+F. It was more of a misunderstanding/miscommunication.
I just wanted you to know that F+F is NOT the standard here on Bladeforums, and I am not alone in my thinking. If you read your own
posting, it never mentions NET or F+F. If you read my response to your message, I CLEARLY stated 1000 Goods and Services, yet you
did not correct me, and yet I even sent you $1014. As I said, no hard feelings. If at all, I don't appreciate you making me sound stupid
when I presumed payment was G and S. Read the thread dude. ALSO please indicate F+F in your for sale posts, do not assume EVERYONE is paying via
F+F after all, I am paying for an item (goods).

Thanks for shipping the knife.

End of my story.... thanks for listening guys.

I bought a knife yesterday and paid via G and S. The knife was worth $1000, he never mentioned NET or F+F, also, I even sent the guy $ 1014.
Here is what I got as a response from the seller:

"Rich I checked paypal and since you decided to pay G&S they obviously charged me. It was 1000 net to me for the skike. The G&S fee is your responsibility. "

At this point, I just asked for a refund. To which he replied:

"I can issue a refund in the amount of 969.08 if youd like. Paypal has the remaining 30.92.

You can try to cancel the transaction on your end if its an option

If you are new to the knife community as you stated you should understand that the amount agreed upon is always NET to the seller. If you wish to send G&S that is your decision to secure your transaction, or to put an “insurance” on it and is Always the buyers responsiblity. Why would the seller agree to pay for insurance on YOUR purchase. Doesn’t make sense."

So, I still sent the $ 30.92, since he was only willing to give me back $ 969.08, as a refund for my $ 1014.

He did send me the knife this morning. I found this thread and sent him the link. He then responded with:

"Rich. You saying i should pay a fee to sell my knife is like me saying you’re responsible for shipping it. The price of the knife was 1000, which was the amount due. You could of bypassed this by paying F/F but YOU, not I, wanted to send it G/S. I will be more than glad to split the cost just so there’s no hard feelings"

To which I responded:

No hard feelings at all. I just assumed it was goods and services, you assumed I was going to pay F+F. It was more of a misunderstanding/miscommunication.
I just wanted you to know that F+F is NOT the standard here on Bladeforums, and I am not alone in my thinking. If you read your own
posting, it never mentions NET or F+F. If you read my response to your message, I CLEARLY stated 1000 Goods and Services, yet you
did not correct me, and yet I even sent you $1014. As I said, no hard feelings. If at all, I don't appreciate you making me sound stupid
when I presumed payment was G and S. Read the thread dude. ALSO please indicate F+F in your for sale posts, do not assume EVERYONE is paying via
F+F after all, I am paying for an item (goods).

Thanks for shipping the knife.

End of my story.... thanks for listening guys.
It’s the uneducated fools, like your seller that make buying and selling on this forum, so complicated at times.

No= There's button at the bottom of the Transaction Page that Refunds the Money and cancels the Fees.

The Seller doesn't mention Squat about payment. I won't have to deal with them now- Thanks.

Last edited:
Back