Prototype Cincy Machax

well, i wonder where THAT came from...

non heat treated 98% ground blade. sweet. i have a couple :) not sure what to do with them yet.

i figured at some point a few will be set free.

let me know about the heat treat / who / what / where / when...

i think the DB speaks to the sheath, Brommeland! maybe. it's a beast.

also, i'm not sure i'd call it a proto? just a batch that was never finished, Ethan had quite a few, and i'm aware SOME scoundrel :) managed to score QUITE a lot of them. like, a lot. so keep in mind, going into the future, if "old like new" machaxes start showing up, with those marks, and updated furniture and sheaths (if they have a sheath), they are not factory... any that i do up or release, WILL get stamped for provenance :)
Thanks for some insight Bladite. Do you happen to know what type of steel it is. From reading old advertisements and forum post I’m assuming it’s 4140. But I’ve learned that assume actually means make a ass of u and me. Also Depending on the steel I’m thinking the rockwell should be in the 58 range after heat treat. At least that’s what I’m requesting on the work order

Last edited:
51717552042_6787aa8f64_c.jpg

That sheath sure looks familiar :)
Some high quality work for sure. Built like a Tank. I have a fondness for Tanks. Did you also happen to make the sheaths for the Machax Warrior?

Some high quality work for sure. Built like a Tank. I have a fondness for Tanks. Did you also happen to make the sheaths for the Machax Warrior?
Thank you. In answer to your question, I did not. Those early Machax sheaths were very expensive to make - I seem to remember Ethan having said that he was paying more for the sheaths than he was to produce the knives (this is from memory and may be inaccurate but that is my recollection of things).

He (Ethan) went to a less expensive sheath in order to hit his price point. (Which I fully understand - he had to. My materials cost alone on those sheaths was about 2/3 of what he was paying me for them - neither of us were making any money at what they were costing us.) As I remember it, I only made a few hundred of those sheaths before we both realized that it just wasn't viable from a numbers standpoint and he went to a synthetic sheath IIRC. After that, I went into making concealment gear 80+ hours a week and Ethan and I pretty much lost touch.

Thank you. In answer to your question, I did not. Those early Machax sheaths were very expensive to make - I seem to remember Ethan having said that he was paying more for the sheaths than he was to produce the knives (this is from memory and may be inaccurate but that is my recollection of things).

He (Ethan) went to a less expensive sheath in order to hit his price point. (Which I fully understand - he had to. My materials cost alone on those sheaths was about 2/3 of what he was paying me for them - neither of us were making any money at what they were costing us.) As I remember it, I only made a few hundred of those sheaths before we both realized that it just wasn't viable from a numbers standpoint and he went to a synthetic sheath IIRC. After that, I went into making concealment gear 80+ hours a week and Ethan and I pretty much lost touch.
Thanks for the rapid response. As I was reading your post I got the distinct feeling that I was reading a bit of history and I’m glad that it was written and preserved. Thank You for your contribution. The Beckerhead Brotherhood was born in those early days.

Thanks for some insight Bladite. Do you happen to know what type of steel it is. From reading old advertisements and forum post I’m assuming it’s 4140. But I’ve learned that assume actually means make a ass of u and me. Also Depending on the steel I’m thinking the rockwell should be in the 58 range after heat treat. At least that’s what I’m requesting on the work order

4140 aye aye. i don't remember what the heat protocols are for that, but many do...

58 could be nice

hard parkerizing would be a nice touch

they were also done in a hard chrome process that is probably banned these days, but is incredibly smooth and lustrous

they're pretty badass, and i found a couple that were close to molding / musty but a lot of air drying and some oil helped.

been super busy in a bad way for work stuff the last two years or so, pretty stressy. covid. somewhere in the last year i've completely lost touch with Ethan as well.

Thanks for the rapid response. As I was reading your post I got the distinct feeling that I was reading a bit of history and I’m glad that it was written and preserved. Thank You for your contribution. The Beckerhead Brotherhood was born in those early days.
You're more than welcome, but my overall contribution to the Machax project was pretty minor. Thanks for this thread though - it was a nice "walk down memory lane".

they're pretty badass, and i found a couple that were close to molding / musty but a lot of air drying and some oil helped.

been super busy in a bad way for work stuff the last two years or so, pretty stressy. covid. somewhere in the last year i've completely lost touch with Ethan as well.
Thank you. If you get in touch with Ethan, please pass along my regards.

4140 aye aye. i don't remember what the heat protocols are for that, but many do...

58 could be nice

hard parkerizing would be a nice touch

they were also done in a hard chrome process that is probably banned these days, but is incredibly smooth and lustrous
Thanks for the steel confirmation Bladite. It would be cool looking in that green grey WWll parkerize. But I’m actually going to leave it in the white machine marks and all. I think it adds some neat ass character.

You're more than welcome, but my overall contribution to the Machax project was pretty minor. Thanks for this thread though - it was a nice "walk down memory lane".
Hey Bromm on a side note. Did you happen to be selling fine leather holsters around Lake County Fl in the 90s. I seem to recall your name at the AW Peterson gun shop in Mt Dora.

Hey Bromm on a side note. Did you happen to be selling fine leather holsters around Lake County Fl in the 90s. I seem to recall your name at the AW Peterson gun shop in Mt Dora.
I was buying my first reloading supplies around that time there .

I left in fall of 92 . I lived in Center Hill . Killed my first big game with a pistol ( hog in Richloam WMA ) With a 41 Magnum Blackhawk hard cast bullets Unique powder and primers bought there . Killed a spike in W.V. with that load . It was about 5 years ago I used the last of the powder I bought from there

I left in fall of 92 . I lived in Center Hill . Killed my first big game with a pistol ( hog in Richloam WMA ) With a 41 Magnum Blackhawk hard cast bullets Unique powder and primers bought there . Killed a spike in W.V. with that load . It was about 5 years ago I used the last of the powder I bought from there
Webster Flea every Monday. I worked at Minute Maid In Leesburg for 15 years. graduated from Tavares. Small ass World

Last edited:
That rendering plant in center hill was brutal in July August lol

My Dad was a Lake County Deputy under Willis and later Malcolm McCall. That’s all he would carry SW Model 57 in 41magnum

Back