Attention Q and A re: the BF Spring Street Barlow!! Read carefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Porch" is a community. Some parts are looser and some are tighter than others, but it's a community. This knife is created by this community, for this community. It's a very welcoming community, but to be in it, you have to be in it. Nobody is excluding you other than yourself.
So....if I pop in every day and say Howdy without any other content will that qualify or is that just trolling, want to get the ground rules straight. Sometimes I just like to pop in and admire all the fine knives the members have, and I don't have anything earth shattering to add that hasn't already been said, but I suspect that's considered Negative Participation.

It's simple actually. If you wish to watch someone abuse an forum knife on YouTube and that person isn't a contributing member HERE, simply send him YOUR knife to pound into logs. Otherwise I'd much rather it goes to Meako, you know the guy actually INVOLVED in the process. Or any other member who IS a regular here but was offline at the time. The traditional subforum is really the only one I participate in here. To my understanding there is also a yearly Buck knife for people who participate in that subforum. I've posted maybe 2-3 times in the Buck forum, I don't try to weasel my way in there just to grab a knife.
Misplaced Hillbilly? More like Misplaced aggression,lol!

Dang folks, it’s all in good fun. If you’re getting this worked up over the BF knife then maybe, IDK… take some deep breaths?

(For the record, AKB doesn’t abuse the knives he reviews… or at least not unless it’s useful to prove a point, and his content is legit useful. If you don’t get the satire, that’s cool, but it’s also kind of the whole point.)

Last edited:
Misplaced Hillbilly? More like Misplaced aggression,lol!

Dang folks, it’s all in good fun. If you’re getting this worked up over the BF knife then maybe, IDK… take some deep breaths?

(For the record, AKB doesn’t abuse the knives he reviews and the content is legit useful, but you’d have to watch one to know that.)
Well, it's great then that you've volunteered yours for testing! Can't wait to see the video! LOL

I don't see you adding much useful content to the Knife Makers Forum, does that make you any more or less Knowledgeable about Knives?

If I get one Fine if not Fine....just saying the knife was meant for ALL Blade Forum Members Or Porch ONLY the rest of you take a hike....Pretty Sad this is how you a HUGE poster feels about another Enthusiast....I have never been able to get 1 Traditional Forum Knife....Most Likely because of people like you. Not saying your a Bad Person, but you certainly look down on the rest of us Non Daily Posters and shame us for not being more active.
You're right, I rarely post anywhere else but here, and if any other sub-forums decide to get a knife together, I won't be elbowing my way in, and getting snotty with people there, because I don't fulfill their chosen criteria. To do that, I'd consider was pretty bad manners.

It's just about numbers, there's no need to take it personally, you don't post in this sub-forum (or only extremely rarely it seems), which is why you have no entitlement to have one of our annual knives. Check the exchange, I'm sure there'll be the odd one going there at a reasonable price in due course.

I don't look down at you at all, I'm sure you could contribute a lot here, but until you do, I don't think you, or anyone else who doesn't participate here, is entitled to jump in line ahead of those who contribute to this sub-forum regularly. Most years, in the past, there have been Traditional Forum Knives going spare, and you could have come over here at any time to take part in the process, as you can in anticipation of next year's knife, if there is one.
The only reason that there's a shortage this year is because of a sudden outbreak of grabbiness from people who don't usually post here, or in many cases, anywhere else on BF, so it's those folks you should have an issue with, not me or the other regular posters here.

There are guys who've posted here for years, who might not get a knife this year. They might be entitled to feel aggrieved, but I don't think you are. Now surely, if there is one sub-forum that could make a great knife, it's the Knife Makers Forum, so why don't you propose it over there, and you can decide on the pattern, and deal with all the hard work and headaches, and I promise not to turn up there, with a sense of entitlement demanding one. Furthermore, you could start sharing some of your knowledge and experience over here on The Porch, where I'm sure you'd be made very welcome :thumbsup:

Well, it's great then that you've volunteered yours for testing! Can't wait to see the video! LOL

I know your whole schtick, is being “that guy.” But I have been loaned quite a few knives over the years… some custom, others trash and I have always abided and treated the knives the way the owners asked me too. I have never had any drama or complaints over any knives loaned, purchased, or sold ever. Just because you don’t know who I am doesn’t really mean much.

M mhanlen I’m sorry I dragged you into this, man. Should have known better.

I attempted to add some levity to what is Very Serious Business* (please read in Winnie the Pooh voice) and forgot that is strictly verboten.

Truly love your satirical take on the Very Important Knaf Review* and I’ll keep tuning in.

I know your whole schtick, is being “that guy.” But I have been loaned quite a few knives over the years… some custom, others trash and I have always abided and treated the knives the way the owners asked me too. I have never had any drama or complaints over any knives loaned, purchased, or sold ever. Just because you don’t know who I am doesn’t really mean much.
Firstly, a correction. I do know who you are, I just don't care, and I don't sub to your channel. The tone of some of your comments in this thread make it clear that it was your lowkey expectation that people were supposed to have some sudden respect and deference for you when it was revealed that you're some Youtuber with a knife channel. "Knife royalty" is the term I believe was used. How ridiculous. That's irrelevant to me, rather like your inability to find your own post count.

Secondly, the fact that you felt it necessary to respond to my comment to Coyja Coyja is puzzling. All I was doing was showing cheer for his volunteering of his knife to you, that way you can do another video (a review of a knife your subs won't even be able to obtain, so that's useful LOL) and get more revenue from those clicks. It's nice that he's helping you in this way. I wonder if he'll get a kickback, though I'd expect at least a mention for being so generous! :D

Anyway, I hope you have a great day! :thumbsup:

With hindsight, it probably didn't play out too well ;) :thumbsup:

Oh no, it played out exactly how I thought it would once people knew who I was. I don't post much here for a reason. What I didn't realize realize is that we had a change in rules and a post counter. Quiet, and the piling on by a few members isn't encouraging. The man obviously doesn’t like me or what I do- which is not my problem. I don't post here because I don't fit in. We have many of the same interests but a different approach to the hobby.

Last edited:
So....if I pop in every day and say Howdy without any other content will that qualify or is that just trolling, want to get the ground rules straight. Sometimes I just like to pop in and admire all the fine knives the members have, and I don't have anything earth shattering to add that hasn't already been said, but I suspect that's considered Negative Participation.

Cmon man, this really isn't all that hard to understand. Yes its a bladeforums knife, but its entirely designed by this sub forum and those that participate in it. Admiring is different than participation. I'm not going to put a definition on what exactly participation is, just that everyone knows it when they see it.

Oh no, it played out exactly how I thought it would once people knew who I was. I don't post much here for a reason. What I didn't realize realize is that we had a change in rules and a post counter. Quiet, and the piling on by a few members isn't encouraging. I don't post here because I don't fit in. We have many of the same interests but a different approach to the hobby.
I'm afraid I have no idea who you are. I address people based on their posts on BF. I don't know if many other posters would know who you are either :thumbsup:
Cmon man, this really isn't all that hard to understand. Yes its a bladeforums knife, but its entirely designed by this sub forum and those that participate in it. Admiring is different than participation. I'm not going to put a definition on what exactly participation is, just that everyone knows it when they see it.
And he's 'Fine' if he gets a knife, and 'Fine' if he doesn't :rolleyes:

You're right, I rarely post anywhere else but here, and if any other sub-forums decide to get a knife together, I won't be elbowing my way in, and getting snotty with people there, because I don't fulfill their chosen criteria. To do that, I'd consider was pretty bad manners.

It's just about numbers, there's no need to take it personally, you don't post in this sub-forum (or only extremely rarely it seems), which is why you have no entitlement to have one of our annual knives. Check the exchange, I'm sure there'll be the odd one going there at a reasonable price in due course.

I don't look down at you at all, I'm sure you could contribute a lot here, but until you do, I don't think you, or anyone else who doesn't participate here, is entitled to jump in line ahead of those who contribute to this sub-forum regularly. Most years, in the past, there have been Traditional Forum Knives going spare, and you could have come over here at any time to take part in the process, as you can in anticipation of next year's knife, if there is one.
The only reason that there's a shortage this year is because of a sudden outbreak of grabbiness from people who don't usually post here, or in many cases, anywhere else on BF, so it's those folks you should have an issue with, not me or the other regular posters here.

There are guys who've posted here for years, who might not get a knife this year. They might be entitled to feel aggrieved, but I don't think you are. Now surely, if there is one sub-forum that could make a great knife, it's the Knife Makers Forum, so why don't you propose it over there, and you can decide on the pattern, and deal with all the hard work and headaches, and I promise not to turn up there, with a sense of entitlement demanding one. Furthermore, you could start sharing some of your knowledge and experience over here on The Porch, where I'm sure you'd be made very welcome :thumbsup:
When you responded I felt obligated to offer my retort...I have no issue with you or any of the others, I merely pointed out the FACT that the Knife in question is stamped "BLADE FORUMS" NOT "PORCH MEMBERS ONLY" there in lies the rub. Knife makers forum has a couple of KITH (Knife in the Hat) where makers build a knife to be given away in a blind drawing to another maker participating in the KITH....Some Good, Some Need more Practice. I'm not saying I'm entitled to anything I have just as much chance of getting or not getting based on those decisions made by the members running the show. I will however point out that in Charlie's original post he did NOT Emphasize Porch Participation Mandatory...it was date of enrollment, 25 posts (didn't say in the porch only to qualify), and not posts in the exchange....I read the RULES a couple of times and in fact I posted the Rules when another person wanted to know what the rules were....But Alas that thread is now gone, so your honor my defense and prime witness no longer exist. I will leave you with this: You and your Frat Brothers can sit and laugh at the rest of us In Your Porch Members Only Thread showing off your catch...Keep your Joints Oiled:)

Last edited:
When you responded I felt obligated to offer my retort...I have no issue with you or any of the others, I merely pointed out the FACT that the Knife in question is stamped "BLADE FORUMS" NOT "PORCH MEMBERS ONLY" there in lies the rub. Knife makers forum has a couple of KITH (Knife in the Hat) where makers build a knife to be given away in a blind drawing to another maker participating in the KITH....Some Good, Some Need more Practice. I'm not saying I'm entitled to anything I have just as much chance of getting or not getting based on those decisions made by the members running the show. I will however point out that in Charlie's original post he did NOT Emphasize Porch Participation Mandatory...it was date of enrollment, 25 posts (didn't say in the porch only to qualify), and not posts in the exchange....I read the RULES a couple of times and in fact I posted the Rules when another person wanted to know what the rules were....But Alas that thread is now gone, so your honor my defense and prime witness no longer exist. I will leave you with this: You and your Frat Brothers can sit and laugh at the rest of us In Your Porch Members Only Thread showing off your catch...Keep your Joints Oiled:)

It's still up, just moved. I posted in it way back when, when I met the qualifications.

Oh no, it played out exactly how I thought it would once people knew who I was. I don't post much here for a reason. What I didn't realize realize is that we had a change in rules and a post counter. Quiet, and the piling on by a few members isn't encouraging. The man obviously doesn’t like me or what I do- which is not my problem. I don't post here because I don't fit in. We have many of the same interests but a different approach to the hobby.
For the last time, at the time you first responded to me, you didn't meet either qualification, so I don't understand your inability to grasp this.

I'm sorry I'm not being more "encouraging" for a YouBoob "celebrity" who clearly expected deferential treatment after a fan revealed his vaunted status. If I'd known "royalty" was gonna show up out of nowhere to try to lay claim to a knife meant for participating Bladeforums members, I'd have worn a nice shirt and practiced my genuflection! 😅

My sincerest apologies, My Liege, it shan't happen again! LOL

Discussion about the annual Traditional knife starts months in advance. Actually, it's not long after one year's knife is completed before discussions start for the next year's. Manufacturers, patterns, steels, handle materials, other details, etc. If you're interested in getting one, you, and everyone else are welcome to participate in the discussion. If you're not part of the community, nor part of the discussions about the annual knife, you're essentially showing up at the pot luck dinner with just a plate and no dish, and a nametag because nobody there knows who you are.

EDIT:

I will leave you with this: You and your Frat Brothers can sit and laugh at the rest of us In Your Porch Members Only Thread showing off your catch...Keep your Joints Oiled:)

Of course, just because The Porch welcomes everybody, that doesn't mean that everybody is a good fit. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back