Random Thought Thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist can you believe with this new Ford 10 speed I am getting deleted MPG numbers. I have been averaging 22 mpg unloaded. I’m curious to see what I get tomorrow!
With the 6.7 diesel loaded with a 33ft 5th wheel, 3 kids, wife, and all the accompanying gear I would get around 15.5 while doing 70. Yes, I know that you’re not supposed to go 70. I never took it to the scales but I was every bit of 12-13,000 pounds. With just the family and a bed gull of gear I’d avg 25mpg on the freeway. That truck was a 14 F-350 loaded with options.
That 6.7 is amazing!
My Wife hated it. It was my first Diesel and I took care of it very well so that we were never the people on the side of the road with the trailer instead of in the campground. She called it Kim Kardashian because she said it needed to much care, maintenance, upkeep, etc. with the 8 foot bed it did kind of have a big ass😁

Last edited:
Those are great pictures I’m hoping that this campout happens again. I’d love to see more pictures if you don’t mind sharing.

We definitely missed you out there, my friend. I hope you are recovering well. I think overall the trip was a success and as long as we didn't wear out our welcome with the ranch owner and his people (we got along smashingly), then I expect this will be a regular shindig.

I've got a few more pics I can share, as do the other fellas. I'll get them all together and either post them somewhere here or send them to you.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe a few people in here have Natural gas generators hooked up to their houses.

Would anyone mind sharing what it cost to have one installed? Also, do you ever switch it on to avoid using electricity from the grid to save $$$? Natural gas is cheaper where I live than electricity.

It's fine if you prefer to dm me.

I recommend the Terrence Howard podcast on Rogan last week. Damn.
Perhaps I am in the minority and should keep my mouth shut, but I had to turn it off. To my ear (YMMV), the guys sounds batsh*t crazy.

Edit: Which is not to say this would not be interesting to someone else. People can check it out and decide for themselves.

Last edited:
Electric is cheaper than propane, so we don't use it as an alternative source of energy. Cost was just north of $12K all in for a 24kW generator, automatic transfer switch and one load shedding module. (We have a ten year parts, labor, travel warranty on engine and alternator that we got as a promotion when we made the purchase.)

Definitely not cheap, but very nice to have when the power's out, which is not that infrequent around here.

Back