Random Thought Thread

Nice snag Daverous Daverous Love that 4V!
UcJuJhI.jpg

Iv
I' heard that starbond liquid superglue and low grit sandpaper can be used to fill in holes in wood and other unique handle materials that you'd like to have a nice high polish. veveve
Okay I give up. I've varnished my scabbard already 7th time.... I need help as I don't got any experience of varnishing lol.

Can anybody give helping hand and some advices? As I haven't had any experience I've searched internet several times.. yeah I've learned that I had to sand between layers of varnish and I did so. All layers are thin as they should be. Between first 3 layers I used 400 grit sandpaper to sand, wet rag cleaned, dried and continued applying layers. Between 4th 5th and 6th layers I used 1200 grit sandpaper and yesterday I applied 7th layer and it just dried and still got some problems...

I don't know what should I do. Some friends of mine adviced to sanded it with 1500>2000 and then buff with some car polishing paste or something like that idk to be honest. Buffing is needed as even with 2000 grit my glossy finish becomes somewhere between semi-gloss and mat.

Some told me to sand it again with 1200 grit and then spray lacquer it instead of applying by brush. And my problem will be fixed.

Some told me that I have too much free time to care that much about it and just leave it as it is.

I don't really know what to do... I put part of myself in this entire sword and why to leave it like this when I see imperfections in it?
Sometimes I feel tired also and I also think to leave it as it is. It still will get covered up by sageo (cord) beautifully wrapped around it or by leather "carrying shealth" (about which I will ask you guys later).

So impurities and imperfections with shape of little dots are spread all over scabbard lacquer. And glossy finish is unforgiveable to mistakes like that.

Sageo (cord) wrap on scabbard will look like this if you don't know.

imageAOS.jpg

My leather carrying "shealth" (better to say attachment) may pair up with sageo and may look like this (but lets talk about that later ill post pic just for referance)

20200316-090745.jpg

So all of this will cover big part of scabbard while worn but still it wont always be on belt you know lol...

So ive tried to take pics with my crapoy phone that way that those dots could be seen. Just in case "circled" them. Those dots on light shine in pictures.

20200326-004307.jpg

20200326-004111.jpg

20200326-004128.jpg

Also have to mention that on certain angles they aren't seen at all. (But the fact that I know that they exist there is disturbing me a lot lol)

20200326-004352.jpg

20200326-004338.jpg

And one shot in darkness with flashlight

20200326-002632.jpg

Ive workes with wood lots of times because of knives and swords but I wasn't lacquering them. Just oil finish or danish oil or something like that... varnish with brush is pain in the butt for me lol.
Hope there will be somebody to give advices.
Thanks in advance.
Be healthy.

Nika

Formal announcement:

Our trade name is Carothers Performance Knives, though our corporate name is AIM Industrial Inc. Our shop space does not have a name, but going forward the new shop is here for known as "The Grocery Store". That way if we get locked down and they make exceptions for the doctor, the pharmacy and the grocery store and we're going over to the shop we can say (with complete honesty) that we're going to The Grocery Store.

Or "where are going" I'm going home. "Where are you heading from" The Grocery Store.

...it's perfect...

Hey Eric? This is completely kosher, right?...
That’s like naming a college bar "The Library"

Never seen the show, or this creature you speak of. But yes. It does have a sex doll mouth.

And cross cut French fries are dangerous. I just lost about a half a molar.

No shit. I wonder how much it will be to fix THAT.

Miracle, get some ultra fine sandpaper 600+ grit, sand with the grain, just to smooth out the lacquer, if you break to bare wood. Apply more, let it dry completely. Rinse repeat.

I have every sandpaper starting from coarsest 36grit ending with 2k grit. Mainly I use 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000.

So I've did exactly sanded with grain. Cleaned it carefully so there was no any dust and then gave it some oil to gice richer colors. After oil completely dried I haven't had wood sealer so I knew that with many layers of lacquer it would still get filled. So I started lacquering with thin layers. After first layer dried I sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper in direction of grain. Rinse, repeat and sanded next 2 layer with 400 grit. So I had 3 layers of lacquer between each sanded with 400 grit. So wood was 90% filled (you know mahagony has some big holes there lol).
So continued with same thickness of lacquer but for next 3 layers (4th 5th and 6th) I used 1200 grit sandpaper instead of 400. After 4th layer all holes where filled. But there where those dots spreaded around on whole scabbard, sanded them down and had uniform surface of lacquer. Continued 5th and 6th layers as extras to give some thickness and protection. But I had those dots there also after lacquer was drying. Sandig always removed them and surface always was becoming uniform. Continued in hope that final layers would dry without any dots... but after all of 6 layers I still had those annoying dots around. So I decided to sand last layer with 1200 grit and I also tried 2000 grit on top of 1200 grit at some places but it was still semi gloss with 2000 grit sandpaper. After all of that I was already almost hopeless but still tried thin layer of lacquer on it with bit of hope remaining that it could dry without those dots but they appeared again......

Iv
I' heard that starbond liquid superglue and low grit sandpaper can be used to fill in holes in wood and other unique handle materials that you'd like to have a nice high polish. veveve

Timmy I've described all the process up there and also I don't usually lacquer my work, they are mostly hand sanded to give nice gloss, oil treat to give reach color and if extra pritection is needed danish oil is used.

I can get high gloss finish on my wood with just sandpapers, carefully sanded from 220 grit up to 2000 grit, even buffing isn't needed because of how good and how polished and glossy it comes out.
Have done that with same mahogany also. No any holes filled but polish is even and glossy.

Some may say that problem can be in brush but I'm using very high quality paining brush for my lacquer.
I don't really know what can problem be.
Some say that problem is in dirt in air. I've cleaned my room where I work 3 times in a row. Don't even try to do extra movements because of those fine dust particles which cant be seen by eye but spread around after extra movements lol...

So took my Olight S2R Baton flashlight and this is what flashlight helps to see. (Tried to capture that moment when most particles where seen there)

20200326-083630.jpg

Somewhere I've read that japanese scabbard makers used to put freshly lacquered scabbard in sealed box. (Stick was being inserted in scabbard and it was hanging flat in my of the box) so dust coudlnt sit on fresh lacquer... idk I have to make wooden box for lacquering??

Random question.
What is this?
It’s a heat exchanger by design. Double walled so one temperature liquid is cycled in the space between the inside and outside walls. It’s made entirely of copper. It’s about 3 foot in diameter.
Any ideas?

View attachment 1309888 View attachment 1309889 View attachment 1309890

Sorry if I’ve already asked you guys!

Okay I guess I know what is that. Lemmie edit post with some info you may be surprised lol

Okay here you go:

Here in Georgia we make Chacha with things like that. Now you are asking what is Chacha? It's an alcohol drink, some call it local brandy, harder than Vodka. We make it from pomace (grape residue) left after making wine (so it means double profit lol).

And yeah when I looked up in internet to explain easily I found next line: "Chacha is often made at home in a mini still. By the American definition, it qualifies as “moonshine” but unlike the production of “moonshine” in the United States, distilling chacha is not illegal in Georgia and many families continue the tradition. To most Georgians, chacha is “vine vodka” and an important part of celebrations and feasts."

So good luck in alchemy ill update you with several interesting pics soon

Last edited:
That’s the only thing I could think of - the copper made me think along those lines.
I don’t make or know how to make moonshine, so I don’t know.
I didn’t see anything like it when I looked up stills.

chacha.jpg

1212121212121211212121.jpg

unnamed.jpg
20171109175202164.png

Okay here are links to wikipedia and one site with basic info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chacha_(brandy)

https://georgianrecipes.net/2013/03/29/georgian-chacha/amp/

But if you buy one in store it's 1/4 quality of what families in villages make. Some are at 80% alcohol ;)

And this is weird one but i liked it at 4:40

Nice snag Daverous Daverous Love that 4V!
UcJuJhI.jpg

Daverous Daverous beat me by 13 minutes +/-. I’ve come to like the EDC1 even more than my much loved EDC3 and now the “need” for one in 4V has taken hold. Just when I thought I’d wait for a DEK1 or K18 as my next CPK purchase...here we go again!

ETA: Got my first Joofou ISP sheath yesterday and it may be just the ticket for carry at work!!

Can I see myself in my scabbard? Yes (eventho its crappy pic again)
Does it make me feel happy? No

20200326-180855.jpg

I still havent decided the heck to do lol...
Leave it as it is with those bubblish dots or to sand with 1200 1500 2000 grits and buff or try with making some "lacquer box".

Honestly "lacquer box" is least i think about. I may try to sand them tomorrow morning with those grits and buff with hope shine will come back on new uniform surface. And if it wont work i will add one more layer and it will look again like this with dots... its already 7 layers.

Nathan you guys just be safe, we're not going anywhere.

Or at least do not intend to go anywhere if totally up to us but we may be in some unmitigated disaster with very strong headwinds. Nathan has got to do what he has to do for himself and his family first and foremost.

Now please tell me more about that hodgepodge Nathan ;)

Can I see myself in my scabbard? Yes (eventho its crappy pic again)
Does it make me feel happy? No

Debris in the air, yeah, I mainly spray in a highly ventilated room. Still have to deal with minor imperfections but generally I can get them out and up to snuff with a little sanding and sometimes 3 coats. I can appreciate your attention to detail, but is it necessary if you can only see it under special lighting conditions.

sometimes you just have to follow the immortal words of Elsa

“let it go”

Or my favorite rendition

Back