Random Thought Thread

Some sort of double boiler used for hard candy production?

That would have been my answer. The fittings are for steam hoses.

Antique-Large-Copper-Steam-Jacketed-Candy-Kettle-Candy.jpg

Well I’m going to have to agree with these assessments.
I’m a little disappointed because now I have to learn how to make chocolate/candy instead of moonshine.
Thems the breaks.

Debris in the air, yeah, I mainly spray in a highly ventilated room. Still have to deal with minor imperfections but generally I can get them out and up to snuff with a little sanding and sometimes 3 coats. I can appreciate your attention to detail, but is it necessary if you can only see it under special lighting conditions.

sometimes you just have to follow the immortal words of Elsa

“let it go”

Or my favorite rendition

Well to be honest i found my solution.

This dude made 15 layers and has same problem as me, then sands with 2k grit and buffs with car buffin compound and eveeything is awesome.

So I have 7 layers and same problem, in mind was at that soluion but wasnt sure if it would work. Now i know that it will.

I will let it dry completly, 2 days passed since 7th layer but I can still smell that it isnt dried. As I wont smell it it will be ready to sand with 1200 1500 2000 (or maybe without 1200) and then magic of buffing will do its job.

By the waiting it to dry Imma complete sharpening my blade, Im up to 600grit and it will take me today to put mirror polish on the edge as I got bit busy day today.

So for noobs like me:

If you want to varnish your wood with poly. Sand it with 220 (max 320) so varnish will have something to stick on.

Then apply thin layers and sand between coats with 400 grit and clean with wet rag.

After 3 layers continue with thin layer but sanding done with 1200 grit and same cleaning method.

After last layer let it dry without sanding till smell of poly isnt gone. And then sand up to 2000 grit from 1200/1500.

When you will get uniform surface buff with car buffing compound.

Enjoy.

(Remember between layers it takes usually 1 day to set varnish so you can reapply poly but it changes on different products so check can lebel for it)

I know I’m being petty, but I wanted to either play a drinking game and take a shot of whisky every time he said “random orbit sander”.....or punch him in the throat. It’s a “Random Orbital Sander” or Orbital, or random orbital, or orbital sander.... and I really hope you don’t plan to use a “random orbit sander” on the curved surface of your....forgive my ignorance on proper name....wooden sheath.

And 15 layers?! Sweet Baby Rays! That’s insane. As far as drying time, depends on the lacquer, though no harm in really letting it set a day or over several days. And maybe it was just the lighting, but at the end when he was showing his finished product, it looked a bit like orange peel. Spraying too thick or not thinning the lacquer and not sanding aggressively enough, maybe that’s why he needs 15 layers.

But hey, he might be a master of his craft and I need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before posting......again, I’m being picky / petty (you can pick)

I just went back and took a couple screen shots. Yup, his work is $hit, well... maybe not his work, but certainly his finishing skill. I don’t have a photo host and the file is too large to attach....

On oaks and mahogany, maybe use a grain filler.

Between Chris Elliot and Louie Anderson, I think you’d have the perfect piece of wood....not in the way I know some of you are thinking....sheesh.

Last edited:
I know I’m being petty, but I wanted to either play a drinking game and take a shot of whisky every time he said “random orbit sander”.....or punch him in the throat. It’s a “Random Orbital Sander” or Orbital, or random orbital, or orbital sander.... and I really hope you don’t plan to use a “random orbit sander” on the curved surface of your....forgive my ignorance on proper name....wooden sheath.

And 15 layers?! Sweet Baby Rays! That’s insane. As far as drying time, depends on the lacquer, though no harm in really letting it set a day or over several days. And maybe it was just the lighting, but at the end when he was showing his finished product, it looked a bit like orange peel. Spraying too thick or not thinning the lacquer and not sanding aggressively enough, maybe that’s why he needs 15 layers.

But hey, he might be a master of his craft and I need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before posting......again, I’m being picky / petty (you can pick)

I just went back and took a couple screen shots. Yup, his work is $hit, well... maybe not his work, but certainly his finishing skill. I don’t have a photo host and the file is too large to attach....

On oaks and mahogany, maybe use a grain filler.

Between Chris Elliot and Louie Anderson, I think you’d have the perfect piece of wood....not in the way I know some of you are thinking....sheesh.

Haha.. thank for info, for your time, for being helpful. I honestly appreciate a lot.

I never lacquer/varnish my wooden works but this time it was needed and my skill was 0 so was searching wayching reading everything and tried to sum up for ultimate solution.

Imma sharpening my sword atm but downloaded video you posted and gonna watch it carefuly as soon as possible. And about sanding, no i dont even own "random orbit sander" lol, well yeah i got different angle grinders but i prefer to work with my bare hands.

Thanks again

Hahahaha. Sent the wife to the store for wings. She came home with these and asked “what’s the difference”

I smoked them vs fried

made 40 last year. Probably at least 40lbs overweight, trying to make many small shifts to put me back in “normal” averages....

“Trying” is the operative word....

9EBF9C61-BED9-42FE-A701-BA0F1877F350.jpeg

Last edited:
exercise won't lose you any weight, but it will make you feel good. The more weight you lose, the better exercising feels. Most people I know who lost a lot of weight have become exercise junkies, and I tend to see a lot of people like that since I'm a bike guy. Bikes are the perfect tool for the job since they're low impact and generate cardiovascular activity, two things that a person who's carrying around too much weight really seem to benefit from

More frightening than random, although they are coming from the "mind" of someone who is not a physician, not a medical doctor of any sort, not a scientist of any sort:

Is it possible that this Covid-19 virus grows stronger inside a host carrier who in latter stages either succumbs or gets really, really ill with it hence becoming much more infectious/contagious as it achieves max strength? I say this because the rate of infection is such a hyperbolic type of up-trending curve that the rate of acceleration of its infection manifesting in hyper-sickness just does not compute with a none-mutating and none-airborne type of virus.

I just heard an ER physician who had said that they were detecting enormous amounts of viral contamination in ER rooms where patients were hooked up to ventilators which means no breathing out, not sneezing and no sniffling! The patient is almost comatose so it's not like he/she is going around touching everywhere! I was really wondering as to how and why Drs & nurses with (maybe re-using) PPEs were getting sick after constant exposure. Again, I don't know anything for shyte but I have a feeling that the authorities are not telling us the whole truth and maybe that is why the Chinese went total ape-sh*t by taking such draconian actions which would be near impossible here, for now!

#ramblingsofmyownmind

P.S. as for personal experiences with this, today I received a text from an old buddy informing me that someone who we both knew in my past business, someone in his late 60's? with other health issues had passed away from Covid-19 in the hospital after a few days of sinking into a coma. I knew this person in passing and just exchanging pleasantries for most parts, not a friend, a buddy or a biz associate.

I wouldn’t say that exercise will absolutely not help with weight loss. You burn more calories, so given a certain calorie input, exercise can help, to a point. It is absolutely true that the majority of the weight lost needs to come from dietary regulation. I’ve heard good things about Weight Watchers, even used it my self, years ago, and it works, if adhered to.

Where people get into trouble, as I think Lorien referred to, is when they go to the gym and work like mad dogs trying to burn off the pounds. It is usually not much fun and unsustainable, setting one up for failure and relapse. Nothing at all wrong with pushing hard, if you get satisfaction from it. Find some exercise that you can enjoy and look forward to, and that makes you feel good afterward. Start at a fairly comfortable rate and build up as you adapt. Like Lorien mentioned, bike riding is an excellent low impact exercise. Since a number of the things I like to do are closed, for now, I’ve been taking long walks (if you have the time) in our nice, somewhat hilly, local green belt areas. Trying to fit in simple home exercises too. I’m even contemplating getting my mountain bike back on the road, errrr, trail. Mike

More frightening than random, although they are coming from the "mind" of someone who is not a physician, not a medical doctor of any sort, not a scientist of any sort:

Is it possible that this Covid-19 virus grows stronger inside a host carrier who in latter stages either succumbs or gets really, really ill with it hence becoming much more infectious/contagious as it achieves max strength? I say this because the rate of infection is such a hyperbolic type of up-trending curve that the rate of acceleration of its infection manifesting in hyper-sickness just does not compute with a none-mutating and none-airborne type of virus.

I just heard an ER physician who had said that they were detecting enormous amounts of viral contamination in ER rooms where patients were hooked up to ventilators which means no breathing out, not sneezing and no sniffling! The patient is almost comatose so it's not like he/she is going around touching everywhere! I was really wondering as to how and why Drs & nurses with (maybe re-using) PPEs were getting sick after constant exposure. Again, I don't know anything for shyte but I have a feeling that the authorities are not telling us the whole truth and maybe that is why the Chinese went total ape-sh*t by taking such draconian actions which would be near impossible here, for now!

#ramblingsofmyownmind

P.S. as for personal experiences with this, today I received a text from an old buddy informing me that someone who we both knew in my past business, someone in his late 60's? with other health issues had passed away from Covid-19 in the hospital after a few days of sinking into a coma. I knew this person in passing and just exchanging pleasantries for most parts, not a friend, a buddy or a biz associate.
The problem with a 'novel' virus, is that because it's never circulated in the human population before, no one's immune system has ever encountered, and thus, doesn't easily recognize it as a danger, and act to counter it.

Viral load matters. If someone is subjected to a high initial viral load, there's a far higher chance of developing a severe case. If an individual's immune system is slow to recognize the attack, the viral load within the body may get too high before the immune response kicks in, and the individual may develop more severe symptoms.

If you HAVE to go out (need to buy more food etc.) anywhere that you may be around other people, cover your face. Even if you don't have an N95 mask or a P100 half or full face respirator, tie a t-shirt over your face etc. Wear goggles to cover your eyes, as those are an entry point too. Wven if you're exposed, reducing the viral load from exposure could mean the difference between being the 80% who develop a mild case, or the 20% who wind up in the hospital... or worse.

The virus is indeed, mutating. Several weeks ago, they'd already found 117 mutations. As of that time, none of the mutations demonstrated any significant difference in the virulence or lethality of the pathogen, but unfortunately, the more this thing spreads, the higher the statistical possibility of that emerging.

The human body has a lot of different compensatory responses built-in to it. As things get worse, the body struggles to compensate for the deterioration of vital functions... right up until it can't, then things start to shut down and you have rapid deterioration in a cascading manner.

As for ERs and ICUs, intubation is one of the APPs (Aerosol Producing Procedures). The shortage of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) has forced some facilities to only issue N95 masks only for APPs, while the rest of the staff have to make do with the paper surgical masks (which offer way less protection from airborne aerosols).

We all need to take precautions to stay safe. Things are going to get worse before they start getting better.:(

Stay strong and march on guys. Go out of the house only when you need to get essentials.

Saw video by a Singaporean doctor online which struck me hard so I thought I should share with you guys. She explained the medical system is actually the last line of defense. You and I are actually in the front line. Not them. The medical system cannot function without a strong preventative program. She ended by requesting all of us to hold the line by staying at home.

Take care and stay safe.

Don

Back