Rat Hunter

GregB

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2000
Messages
3,328
Just got a Rat Hunter on trade yesterday, had to trade my Howling Fat for it, but I think it was worth it. Really like the heft, feels a lot thicker than 3/16". Mine's sterile (there goes my plan for breeding;) it...

It does a good job of splitting small kindling for the woodstove.

Does anyone know how many of these were made without any markings? It came with the leather SWKW belt sheath.

For those who have handled both, how does this compare to the SAR Rat?

GregB
 

Troy H

I'm always like this.
Moderator
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
4,978
The sterile ones AFAIK were only sold at shows. I remember Thatmguy selling a handful and I sold a couple. Not really sure how many that adds up to....[handful + couple = "some" :rolleyes:].

At any rate, the sterile ones are much rarer than those with a logo. :thumbup:

:D
 

leatherman

leathermoderator
Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Messages
13,555
Were there stock leather sheaths for the Hunter? Pics please. :) anyhoo, congRAT's! Mine has the billboard, but I love it anyhow.... ;)

Funny how the collectors type info is going rampant in the Rat's Nest. :eek:

Kharma is a fickle mistress, she can come back to bite ya. :cool:
 

Troy H

I'm always like this.
Moderator
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
4,978
leatherman said:
Were there stock leather sheaths for the Hunter? Pics please. :) anyhoo, congRAT's! Mine has the billboard, but I love it anyhow.... ;)

Funny how the collectors type info is going rampant in the Rat's Nest. :eek:

Kharma is a fickle mistress, she can come back to bite ya. :cool:

There were sheaths for some of them. I sold one or two that way.

As far as the happy collector info kharma stuff...

Pbthhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
 

leatherman

leathermoderator
Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Messages
13,555
360joules said:
There were sheaths for some of them. I sold one or two that way.

As far as the happy collector info kharma stuff...

Pbthhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
lol!!! heh heh heh, truth;) ;) ;)

Oh thats right, I have a g-mail account! Gotta check that more! :eek:
 

leatherman

leathermoderator
Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Messages
13,555
Cool! Looking like some interesting times to come on the boards, in the boards, through the boards, and a few nails, hmmmm, I think I saw that tree in the backyard sneer at me. :grumpy: ;)

Gotcher e-mail ratfink, I'll letcha know tomorrow, gator's some sweet stuff!:cool:
 

Juiceseller

Banned
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
95
I dont know, but I have been looking into Swamp Rat Knife, they said rat can survive a nuke blast......well, that might be true..........the concept might be to market a knife, pretty much so.

As a knife collector, I sincerely tell you, you only need 2 knives.......one is for chopping heavy things like wood and bones of animal and so forth, the other one is for small detailing works, like whittling tree branches to stick into them hot dogs to be put over the camp fire...

If you need more heavy duty work, then an axe is what you need............

I dont see a need for a knife, like most companies advertised, to chop concrete. Companies say this and that, but what work is the wilderness man with 2 knives........and maybe an axe.


Cheers,



Juice
 
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
22,905
Juiceseller said:
I dont know, but I have been looking into Swamp Rat Knife, they said rat can survive a nuke blast......well, that might be true..........the concept might be to market a knife, pretty much so.

As a knife collector, I sincerely tell you, you only need 2 knives.......one is for chopping heavy things like wood and bones of animal and so forth, the other one is for small detailing works, like whittling tree branches to stick into them hot dogs to be put over the camp fire...

If you need more heavy duty work, then an axe is what you need............

I dont see a need for a knife, like most companies advertised, to chop concrete. Companies say this and that, but what work is the wilderness man with 2 knives........and maybe an axe.


Cheers,



Juice


Different strokes for different folks bud.

The knives aren't made to chop concrete, just made tough enough to survive such abuse. They also have the best warranty there is- you can do anything you want with confidence.
They are made tough so that you can depend on them.
 

Troy H

I'm always like this.
Moderator
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
4,978
I totally agree with most everything that you've said. Two blades and possibly an axe - though I would only want an axe if I were planning on being stationary long term....but back to the point.

During my SAR experience I've come to realize that it is impossible to predict what tools you may need on a given day, and as a result, what uses I may need my knife to perform. I may need to use my knife for splitting firewood or perhaps cutting my way out of an overturned vehicle. Who knows? (Don't laugh, it's happened ;) ) Anyhow, my thought is that I want the best two knives that are available. If I can find those blades by chopping up refrigerators or even bricks with them...well ;)
 

Juiceseller

Banned
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
95
Rat Finkenstein said:
Different strokes for different folks bud.

The knives aren't made to chop concrete, just made tough enough to survive such abuse. They also have the best warranty there is- you can do anything you want with confidence.
They are made tough so that you can depend on them.

Well, I am not trolling, I am speaking the truth..........Swamp Rat Knife maybe as strong as Cold Steel survival fixed blade knife due to the steel chemistry. The steel chemistry certainly would tell you so.............when Fallkniven compare their knives, they did really bend it, all cold steel knives did not make it. They were tallking about bending the knife like it is like butter............VG-10 steel won.

I think you know the Fallkniven website to check oout that test.

Cheers,



Juice
 
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
22,905
Juiceseller said:
Well, I am not trolling, I am speaking the truth..........Swamp Rat Knife maybe as strong as Cold Steel survival fixed blade knife due to the steel chemistry. The steel chemistry certainly would tell you so.............when Fallkniven compare their knives, they did really bend it, all cold steel knives did not make it. They were tallking about bending the knife like it is like butter............VG-10 steel won.

I think you know the Fallkniven website to check oout that test.

Cheers,



Juice

I don't know what "truth" you are talking about. It doesn't appear that you know, either.:confused:
What is your question, or your point?
 

Eric Isaacson

Pirate
Joined
Dec 19, 1999
Messages
12,546
Juiceseller said:
Well, I am not trolling, I am speaking the truth..........Swamp Rat Knife maybe as strong as Cold Steel survival fixed blade knife due to the steel chemistry. The steel chemistry certainly would tell you so.............when Fallkniven compare their knives, they did really bend it, all cold steel knives did not make it. They were tallking about bending the knife like it is like butter............VG-10 steel won.

I think you know the Fallkniven website to check oout that test.

Cheers,



Juice

Hello Juice,
Welcome to the Swamp Rat Forum, I'm glad that you stopped by to join in our discussions.
It appears that you are a Fallkniven fan, they make a fine blade, however it is not a Swamp Rat. Also VG10 is not a bad steel, but it does not meet the performance standards that we ask of our knives. We have had an open invitation to all knife manufacturers to meet us and perform live tests against our Swamp Rat blades and no manufacturer has taken us up on that challenge...not one.

You say you speak the "truth" however remember it is the truth as you see it. Many others have different needs of their knives, many people are not able to carry 2 blades and an axe everywhere they go.

And when you speak of a knife bending like butter, I'm not sure what you are referring to, I'd like to see that review. Here is our Swamp Rat knife bending without breaking http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217950
I hope you stick around and join in our discussions, while doing so please keep an open mind that not everyone thinks like you do.

BTW, we don't feel we are "as" strong as Cold Steel, we are stronger ;)

:D:D
 
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,020
juice- please do a little research on swamp rat before you post anymore comparisons here. you will find that a swamp rat easily embarasses a cold steel, and surpasses a fallkniven with ease.
 

leatherman

leathermoderator
Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Messages
13,555
only ...................... two ....................... KNIVES????????????? :eek:

I do agree on one point, CS doesnt measure up to Lynn's never ending hype.:eek:

but, I fail to see your point? There is a Fallkniven forum on KF, I've been a long time fan of them, but I've not seen the comparison you speak of. Gonna go check it out and report back. I hope your not blowing smoke...:(

http://www.fallkniven.com/test.htm OK Juiceman, heres the page ........... please explain yourself :grumpy:
 
Joined
Sep 18, 2003
Messages
2,389
I think knives are more akin to screwdrivers and wrenches than any other tool.

I have quite a few screwdrivers and wrenches for many, many different situations.

If I go to the woods I will be carrying more than just 2 knives. I typically carry two on a day when I am at work.
 

Juiceseller

Banned
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
95
Rat Finkenstein said:
I don't know what "truth" you are talking about. It doesn't appear that you know, either.:confused:
What is your question, or your point?

Listen up bud, any knife would cut. I just dont buy into commercialism about knife being as tough as a rat:rolleyes: in a nuke blast. I buy what works and I own the actual products that I am talking about (the A1 and the F1).......

I have seen Fallkniven put their products up for testing by/in an actual scientific method. They bended their knives like iron bars and they also bended "other" manufacturer knives to compare:cool: ...... that is a kind of company that impresses me, they put money where their mouths are....not hype.

Cheers,



Juice
 

leatherman

leathermoderator
Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Messages
13,555
You didnt answer my question.

Where are those tests? They are only bending their own knives, you stated that they tested Swamp Rat but I dont see it. Untill I see actuall side by side tests I call your bluff, or bull.
 
Top