• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Resolve dispute over sharpness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone

I just sold a knife and the buyer wants to return it.

He says:

Hey just got the knife thanks for the quick shipping, Its totally sweet looking but I gotta be honest I am super bummed at how seriously dull it is.

Ive got a cheap 3 year old Asheville Steel Paragon knife that has never been sharpened and has been an EDC for me the entire time - its much, much sharper than this thing. I just got home and tried cutting a piece of regular printer paper and this thing mostly just tears it.

He has filed a claim with PayPal on the basis it is "defective or not as described."

I would appreciate some advice on how to proceed. My ad is here...

https://bladeforums.com/threads/ultratech-hellhound-bronze-blade-119-13.1631295/#post-18641241

Mods: I’m sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place. I thought this would be the best sub forum to get an answer.

Thanks all

Your ad said nothing about how sharp it is. Did they ask?

Got to be honest, that is kind of a petty thing to claim "defective or not as described". It's a knife. They get dull and need to be sharpened. I say this as someone who is not very good at sharpening.

Did they send that email and immediately file the PayPal claim or was there more discussion on how to handle the situation amicably?

Some knives come dull straight from the factory, so his filing a paypal claim was uncalled for and premature, especially if he didn't contact you first. Obviously, he's a unpopped-cherry-newbie, and it was a newbie move for sure. If it were me, I would fight the claim if I could.

He sent an email about it being dull and I responded that I had never used it or even cut anything with it. So I suggested having it sharpened.

He responded to my email with the PayPal claim.

Sounds like a very petty move. I have mostly given up selling. I did one return because the buyer said there was a blemish on the blade. upon return I inspected and found it was some dried lubricant that wiped off and presented as a perfect satin finish.

You know what.

Take the knife back.

This is just another buyer's remorse case. No mater what happens next the buyer won't be happy.

Take the knife back and refund the payment. Make sure it's in the same condition as it was when sent. If it is move on. If it's not then make sure to put the word in here. Don't give the guy bad feeback because by the site rules there will have been no sale.

Once you have the knife back and checked over update this thread.

When you bought a knife some 74/100 years ago, most had no edge at all. They didn’t have all of this cardboard and plastic to ship knives in. And depending on your use of the knife.. you would yourself or take it to a Cutler like myself whatever kind of edge you wanted depending on the work you did..———— if you didn’t discribe the knife as, super sharp, etc.. I wouldnt give any credence to his complaint if you didn’t say it was sharp in the first place! JMO

Last edited:
That tears it man.
I'm not selling to anyone that doesn't have at least 50 positives, zero negatives, a thousand posts, and been around here for a few years.
Had some newb totally swindle/extort me last year, that'll be the last time.
OP, give us the thread so I can ignore this fine individual.

Selling to someone with no feedback is always a risk. I agree with Danke42, have him send it back, hopefully it will be in the same condition.

Does he think it was used and misrepresented? Why would you be responsible for factory edge sharpness?

Your #1 job now is to get your knife back. Don't expend any effort to satisfy the buyer.

This scenario has played out many times here in the GBU and often the buyer is angling to get a refund and keep your knife.

Make sure Paypal understands that you are unwinding the sale and will refund the payment after the return of the goods.

I like to give new folks a chance but this type of B.S could make me rethink that.
I buy a lot of new blades. About 50% come in dull or barely sharp.
If I had that buyer's mindset online vendors would quickly tire of my business.
As others have mentioned, I think it is buyer's remorse more than anything else, which would piss me off even more.
This is one of the risks with PP. They tend to take the buyer's side. Great if you are the buyer and get screwed but not so much in situations like yours.

I'd do the refund and put it behind you making sure this person is at the top of your no-sell list. I'd damn sure go over the returned knife with a fine toothed comb. It better come correct!
That person is on my s-list now for general principles.
Please update us on the outcome.

Your sales thread said you bought it off of the Exchange. He should have asked the condition of the blade. Seems petty to file a claim, but you did not say clearly if you flat out refused a refund. Like others suggest, refund the money after receiving the knife in condition you sent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back