Rinadi Axes, unexpectedly great.

From studies I've read, cardio is necessary to maintain good health (prevent arteries from hardening etc.). It's just the way we're built.

I'm trying to motivate myself to go past eating healthy. I'm not a slob, just a regular guy showing that at 36 (soon 37) the metabolism is not what it used to be. The day I wanted to sign up for the gym, I had a rush to the ER, believing I was having a heart attack (pain in chest, jaw and arm). It wasn't that (wrong arm, LOL, btw). But the blood work showed issues that had me stay away from any strenous exercise. They have cleared in the meanwhile, though.

I walk a lot at least. I mean a lot.

As of today, it's been slightly more than a year since a divorce I haven't seen coming and although now I'm well there were days when I had to motivate myself for pretty much every step I had to take. 11 years down the drain, for a guy that "did everything right" throughout his entire life. If anyone asked me, I would've preferred to be shot in the face. I have lingering health issues and much of my life is upside-down. Some have cleared, thank God. They all will.

I keep joking: "Some go through mid-life crisis around my age, I am the exception and had a justified one."

The funniest thing? After receiving several shier signals from her, a 21 year old asked for my phone number. Man she is hot. I see myself older than I am, though. I'm fighting against this. Everyone else thinks I'm way younger. I am that good guy at core, who's not the typical shy, creepily nice one and for some reason I have more success with the opposite sex than when I was much younger.

I'll maybe trust a woman again one day. I'm not looking for a rebound or fling. I don't need one just to say I'm not sleeping alone. I never did. But I bet it will take longer than your finger to heal!! :)

Last edited:
M Moonw
I didn't have my midlife crisis till I was 49, but I didn't have my kids till I was 40 so there ya go.

Cardio has benefits relative to heart stroke volume that you can't get any other way, but you can get very good capillary and mitochondrial density by doing interval training at higher intensity. I haven't run in almost 10 years and was able to do a 5k one afternoon because I wanted to - took a little over 1/2 hour so wasn't breaking any records but the only thing sore next day was my feet. In August swimming at a jumbo-sized pool at Letchworth Gorge, was able to swim underwater 25 yards on a single breath without diving, just a kick off the wall. I hardly ever swim. But at my age, maintaining or increasing muscle mass and being able to do high tension exercise is the priority. Old folks that can barely move all have a bunch of stuff in common, beginning with their glutes have withered away and the rest of their muscle mass has gone to fat or all slow twitch fibers.

Clarence Bass, Steve Maxwell are the guys I look to for inspiration (actually got my kettlebell instructor's certification through Steve Maxwell).

I keep at it because I want my kids to have (for the most part) the same type of dad they would've had if they were born in my 30s. I like to do martial arts, backpack, bike, run around. Plus, being blue collar I need to be work-capable as long as possible.

BTW - give her your number!

Last edited:
You're ripped, dude! That's awesome for a man 51 years old. Aw crap, it would be awesome for a man 28 years old. All the more respect to you.

But I hope you cross train and don't just build gym muscles. I've seen a lot of gym rats that come out to a construction site only to get outworked by every man on the crew, the skinny guy and the fat gut included. Working muscles are different than gym muscles.

My brother recently ran his first marathon, a trail marathon with lots of up and down, at age 61. He's a construction electrician. Not a highly physical job. But he's a technical climber and rescue worker in the high Cascade Mountains. He is fit in ways that most people will never know.

In my 20s I managed to get extremely jacked - many people thought I was juicing but really just training smart (and hard). Let it go a bit through my 30s and 40s and after my twins were born decided I'd better see what I could still accomplish.

I got into kettlebell about 10 years ago, and have since drifted more toward sandbag training. Also shifted my exercise selection around a lot as I'm no longer young enough to carry huge reserves of strength to get good carry-over to daily life. If I could train at the gym I would probably be just bodybuilding, but lifting at home I have to make do with more portable tools, and I do some really unorthodox training to get better useful strength.

Functionally I don't think I've been this strong maybe ever.

M Moonw
I didn't have my midlife crisis till I was 49, but I didn't have my kids till I was 40 so there ya go.

Cardio has benefits relative to heart stroke volume that you can't get any other way, but you can get very good capillary and mitochondrial density by doing interval training at higher intensity. I haven't run in almost 10 years and was able to do a 5k one afternoon because I wanted to - took a little over 1/2 hour so wasn't breaking any records but the only thing sore next day was my feet. In August swimming at a jumbo-sized pool at Letchworth Gorge, was able to swim underwater 25 yards on a single breath without diving, just a kick off the wall. I hardly ever swim. But at my age, maintaining or increasing muscle mass and being able to do high tension exercise is the priority. Old folks that can barely move all have a bunch of stuff in common, beginning with their glutes have withered away and the rest of their muscle mass has gone to fat or all slow twitch fibers.

Clarence Bass, Steve Maxwell are the guys I look to for inspiration (actually got my kettlebell instructor's certification through Steve Maxwell).

I keep at it because I want my kids to have (for the most part) the same type of dad they would've had if they were born in my 30s. I like to do martial arts, backpack, bike, run around. Plus, being blue collar I need to be work-capable as long as possible.

BTW - give her your number!

Yes, I've started looking up some HIIT. The theory behind it is very compelling. And kettle bells have always intrigued me, I was wondering though whether they were just a new fad or more. I think I've just got my answer.

I don't have any kids either, yet. At least...no collateral victims. Much to my surprise, I survived :).

You, Sir, are an inspiration. I'll get off my butt. This was bothering me for a while and it seems you tipped the scale on the good side :). I really mean it: thanks!

(I gave her my # :D. We'll see what comes out of it.)

Last edited:
Yes, I've started looking up some HIIT. The theory behind it is very compelling. And kettle bells have always intrigued me, I was wondering though whether they were just a new fad or more. I think I've just got my answer.

I don't have any kids either, yet. At least...no collateral victims. Much to my surprise, I survived :).

You, Sir, are an inspiration. I'll get off my butt. This was bothering me for a while and it seems you tipped the scale on the good side :). I really mean it: thanks!

(I gave her my # :D. We'll see what comes out of it.)

Outstanding!
To be honest I find the kettlebells best for:
-training at home (portable)
-muscular endurance (ballistic movements esp)
-circuit training (putting a handful of movements/lifts in series to hit the whole body)

Many kettlebell programs are really heavy on overhead pressing and holds, none of which I do anymore due to degenerative disks in my neck. Last year or so I've been almost entirely sandbags and offset weighted pole. IMHO sandbags are the ideal at-home resistance tool unless you have room and $ for a bench, squat rack and a ton of weights.

If you need any tips on setting up a program give a shout.

Outstanding!
To be honest I find the kettlebells best for:
-training at home (portable)
-muscular endurance (ballistic movements esp)
-circuit training (putting a handful of movements/lifts in series to hit the whole body)

Many kettlebell programs are really heavy on overhead pressing and holds, none of which I do anymore due to degenerative disks in my neck. Last year or so I've been almost entirely sandbags and offset weighted pole. IMHO sandbags are the ideal at-home resistance tool unless you have room and $ for a bench, squat rack and a ton of weights.

If you need any tips on setting up a program give a shout.

Thank you, I'll take advantage of your very generous offer. I'll write you an email.

There have been studies that show reasonable correlation to aging reduction with resistance training. A big piece of that is the retention of bone density if I remember the studies right. There's also a point where you're basically trying to stave off DNA and material replication degradation over time which is where exercise of most kinds are very useful. Helps you live longer and be able through more of those years. There is a point of reversal there as over-exercise is detrimental to health, even cardio.

More onto the original topic, here's my modified milano axe mentioned earlier. Really like the flatter cutting edge on this for a smally axe and rough shaping things but it was a beast to try and one-hand like holding onto wood with one and and swing the axe with the other. Also allows me to grip behind the lower beard and do a lot of shaving. Eventually I want to start making it a little more asymmetric of a grind as I want to use it as a multi-purpose axe with some capabilities as a hewing axe for making lawn furniture from scavenged deadwood.

gejTZ1Kl.jpg

Edit: added stock image from baryonyx to see extent of mod. Just a little off the bottom in the thicker area in front of the handle worth about 80 grams.
rinaldi-milano-axe-15.gif

Last edited:
All this talk about relationships with women--here is my thought for you, when you do find one you want to marry, be sure to do up the wedding party and the honeymoon big time. After all, it is something you will only do three or four times in your lifetime.

All this talk about relationships with women--here is my thought for you, when you do find one you want to marry, be sure to do up the wedding party and the honeymoon big time. After all, it is something you will only do three or four times in your lifetime.

LOL. Always keeping an ear open for the advice of those more experienced :).

Third time, I'd rather become a monk. As it is, packing things up and moving in the steppes of Mongolia sounds pretty temping already :D. I'm giving myself another chance.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I'm really into that Milano axe...

It's a favorite of mine. I slapped mine on a 24" handle and it's a great all-arounder. But I can knock the long handle out in a matter of seconds and put the stock one back in if I need a shorter length.

It's a favorite of mine. I slapped mine on a 24" handle and it's a great all-arounder. But I can knock the long handle out in a matter of seconds and put the stock one back in if I need a shorter length.

I bet with the stock weight it would do really well with that longer handle. If I 2-hand it, it does nicely with the heavy head but the hand can feel a bit short. I went the other direction and lightened up the head and now it's a great one-hander so I can hold limbs to quickly section them off for firewood or rough shaping if I'm trying to carve something. I use it a lot for taking out limbs and knots that I'm trying to get a straight stick from like for dowels to use as rough seating outside or simply flattening out a surface like a make shift work bench/anvil.

I also have a second one I keep on its stock handle in the workshop that I use for light splitting and shaping tasks, though if I do any heavy shaping work I take it outside. I like the weight on that handle length because you can take very relaxed, low-energy strokes that still do real work. I find it gives me very good accuracy that way.

Cheers from Italy :)

Rinaldi Trento n2 & n3

My 2 cents : rinaldi n2 is a great "one hand" axe : excellent for delimbing
, after you fell a tree with chainsaw. Or hammer a wedge into the chainsaw cut. It weights only 1,5 lbs (the head)
Rinaldi trento n3 is definitively a 2 handed axe : i tried one hand, but it is too heavy for this purpose. It weights only 2 lbs (the head) : good for woman :)
Rinaldi Trento n5 is definitively the "heavy" brother : 3,3 lbs (the head).

1907121280.jpg

Last edited:
Rinaldi also made a 5 lbs heavy axe, (like american axes, heavy is better) :)
Rinaldi Cadore N7 (art 312)
The Head : 1800 gr (about 4 lbs)
Total Weight : 2500 gr (about 5 lbs).

It is used in competition.

scure-da-gara-rinaldi-312-7.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers from Italy :)

Rinaldi Trento n2 & n3

My 2 cents : rinaldi n2 is a great "one hand" axe : excellent for delimbing
, after you fell a tree with chainsaw. Or hammer a wedge into the chainsaw cut. It weights only 1,5 lbs (the head)
Rinaldi trento n3 is definitively a 2 handed axe : i tried one hand, but it is too heavy for this purpose. It weights only 2 lbs (the head) : good for woman :)
Rinaldi Trento n5 is definitively the "heavy" brother : 3,3 lbs (the head).

1907121280.jpg

I quite enjoy the Trento, to the point where I had custom handles manufactured for me that optimize the balance of the head. The N5 is a 1300g nominal head weight, though, so more like 2.86lbs rather than 3.3lbs head weight.

Rinaldi also made a 5 lbs heavy axe, (like american axes, heavy is better) :)
Rinaldi Cadore N7 (art 312)
The Head : 1800 gr (about 4 lbs)
Total Weight : 2500 gr (about 5 lbs).

It is used in competition.

scure-da-gara-rinaldi-312-7.jpg
The competition axe is a bit different from the wide-bit Cadore, which is model 311. The bit isn't just wide, but it's also thick through the cheeks, and it has even more flare than the Cadore does. It's sort of like a chunky hybrid of the Cadore eye and the Trento bit profile with bulked-up cheeks. :) It's a real brute of an axe and I'd not want to use it for long! I like a light axe that lets me work at a fairly relaxed pace. :D

I quite enjoy the Trento, to the point where I had custom handles manufactured for me that optimize the balance of the head. The N5 is a 1300g nominal head weight, though, so more like 2.86lbs rather than 3.3lbs head weight.

The competition axe is a bit different from the wide-bit Cadore, which is model 311. The bit isn't just wide, but it's also thick through the cheeks, and it has even more flare than the Cadore does. It's sort of like a chunky hybrid of the Cadore eye and the Trento bit profile with bulked-up cheeks. :) It's a real brute of an axe and I'd not want to use it for long! I like a light axe that lets me work at a fairly relaxed pace. :D

You are absolutely right about the weight of trento n5 : 1300 gr (not 1500).

Rinaldi has 2 type of Cadore axe : 310 (narrow) and 311 (broad)
Both are N6 (1500 gr the head) :
I think competition axe is simple a Cadore Axe 311 N7 (1800 gr) : but it may be that I'm wrong.... i olly own a cadore 310 n6 :)

scure310-400x208.jpg

scure311-400x208.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: A17
Back