Rinadi Axes, unexpectedly great.

I don't know for sure, and not the one I was remembering, but this review explicitly states 2#.

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/06/council-tool-boys-axe-review.html

Either way it was a nice little axe and seemed functionally equivalent to other boys axes, but I usually use a 3.5# when I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing and might need it, so I didn't push it too hard for the few weeks I had it.

Thank you for the link.

Interesting, the GB was under also. I see lots of vintage stuff off one way or the other. The smaller stuff is usually pretty close though.

Variance in actual head weight is why I like to call it "nominal head weight" since that's the supposed target weight. Much like how a 36" handle ends up being about 35" after fitting. Manufacturers probably try to account for material shed from billet to finished head, but there'll always be some degree of variation and it'll depend on if they name the head weight for the starting billet weight or for the target end weight.

Glad I took​ the time to look at this thread all the way through. Good info, good vids, and a terrific review. I'll be looking at a Rinaldi for my next trekking axe. The poor lines on the tomahawk just aren't cutting it for me anymore.

Zieg

Thanks brother, Glad my time was of use :D

I think these axes are very underrated and a great value.

Just got on of the American Boy's axe for my Bday and will be backpacking with it this weekend. Nice size, nice weight - just a bit bigger/heavier than my hatchet but smaller and lighter than most domestic Boy's axes. Will post more but thought I'd share so far - the steel seems of very high quality and run to higher RC than most. Sharpened it up and it produced only a smallish burr and was easy to eliminate. Turned out very sharp using only fine side of a Crystalon stone and some compound on paper.

Had to whip up a scabbard for it, will make a nicer one when I have more time.

9Ph8oc9.jpg

Is going to be a few before I get back with a review, tore off my pinkie nail and pushed the bone through the skin underneath at work last Thurs, had to scrub the backpacking trip. Pretty sure I'll at least have some pruning work around the house in the coming weeks...

Is going to be a few before I get back with a review, tore off my pinkie nail and pushed the bone through the skin underneath at work last Thurs, had to scrub the backpacking trip. Pretty sure I'll at least have some pruning work around the house in the coming weeks...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH...!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wishing you a speedy recovery, dude! That sounds awful!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH...!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wishing you a speedy recovery, dude! That sounds awful!
I've had some unfortunate stuff happen over the years but this was way up there in terms of pain and squeamish factor.
The ER doc even inserted a piece of aluminum foil under the cuticle nearly a 1/4 inch to keep it from healing shut. This hurt more than wrist surgery, more than bilateral hernia surgery.
Luckily the plastic surgeon I saw today for follow-up told me that isn't really used anymore and plucked it out.
Still hurts like SOB and looks like something from a horror movie but at least is not infected. Apparently a fairly common occurance with this sort of injury.
As a bonus my wrist fusion made the bottom of the xray and is fused up solid as a rock, the hardware (three titanium cap screws) still securely in place but could be removed if necessary.:cool:

Hope you get a speedy recovery. I'm looking forward to your review and envy your axe sharpening skills. I have a trento felling axe and milano axe (modified to look more like a bearded axe and drop about 80 grams in weight) and have strongly considering the American or trento boys axe as a woods/forest axe at a lot better price than a Hults Bruk and I love the slip fit designs. Just need something lighter to carry.

Just got on of the American Boy's axe for my Bday and will be backpacking with it this weekend. Nice size, nice weight - just a bit bigger/heavier than my hatchet but smaller and lighter than most domestic Boy's axes.

You know, I'm not big on slip-fit axes but that Rinaldi boys axe catches my eye. Looks like a fine and practical tool and it's well priced. Benjamin at Baryonyx is great at sniffing out value for his customers.

How'd you mangle it?

Was pushing a steel cart loaded with printed material - about 160lbs or so. Hands at the outside back corners with my pinkie resting right on the edge formed by the angle iron. Just kissed the corner of an identical steel cart loaded with about 400lbs of product - the two corners acted like a big pair of dull scissors.

Hope you get a speedy recovery. I'm looking forward to your review and envy your axe sharpening skills. I have a trento felling axe and milano axe (modified to look more like a bearded axe and drop about 80 grams in weight) and have strongly considering the American or trento boys axe as a woods/forest axe at a lot better price than a Hults Bruk and I love the slip fit designs. Just need something lighter to carry.

That's exactly what I'm after - something with more punch than my hatchet and less weight than a traditional boy's axe. Everything is a trade off.

Was pushing a steel cart loaded with printed material - about 160lbs or so. Hands at the outside back corners with my pinkie resting right on the edge formed by the angle iron. Just kissed the corner of an identical steel cart loaded with about 400lbs of product - the two corners acted like a big pair of dull scissors.

Not gonna lie, reading that felt like a jab in my balls. Get well soon!

Reactions: A17
M Moonw
Thanks, it is on the way. Still looks like something you'd see on a cadaver but is not infected and once it gets a little less tender I'll start exposing it to the air- it should toughen up pretty good within the next week. I hope I never have to experience that again, but at least I know ehat I'm looking at if it ever happens again.

And this happened as I was trying to train extra hard for Halloween - was buffing up for Doc Savage this year and was only another 5 pounds or so from my goal, but might have to settle for TinTin now...

M Moonw
Thanks, it is on the way. Still looks like something you'd see on a cadaver but is not infected and once it gets a little less tender I'll start exposing it to the air- it should toughen up pretty good within the next week. I hope I never have to experience that again, but at least I know ehat I'm looking at if it ever happens again.

And this happened as I was trying to train extra hard for Halloween - was buffing up for Doc Savage this year and was only another 5 pounds or so from my goal, but might have to settle for TinTin now...

The good thing is, you're awfully active for a cadaver, so all fine.

As for the buffing...your time will come! :) Maybe New Year's Eve? :)

Besides, being heavy handed you may already be scary enough for Halloween - add your finger to the equation and man, you can surely go for the mummy look? :p Complement your outfit with the axe as well for overkill mode!

The good thing is, you're awfully active for a cadaver, so all fine.

As for the buffing...your time will come! :) Maybe New Year's Eve? :)

I dunno, maybe I should be stuffing my face anyway, still have a couple weeks and the costume is nothing more than a torn shirt and some spray on tan with a close cropped blonde wig. Pic was taken on my 51st Bday two weeks ago, Doc Savage would not be slowed down by a torn fingernail!

F9PLEaPl.jpg
riW7Slkl.jpg

I dunno, maybe I should be stuffing my face anyway, still have a couple weeks and the costume is nothing more than a torn shirt and some spray on tan with a close cropped blonde wig. Pic was taken on my 51st Bday two weeks ago, Doc Savage would not be slowed down by a torn fingernail!

F9PLEaPl.jpg
riW7Slkl.jpg

(Man, I really need to take better care of myself, LOL!) I think you'll still make a good Doc Savage, even with a torn finger (kidding, stay safe!). Stuff away!

You're ripped, dude! That's awesome for a man 51 years old. Aw crap, it would be awesome for a man 28 years old. All the more respect to you.

But I hope you cross train and don't just build gym muscles. I've seen a lot of gym rats that come out to a construction site only to get outworked by every man on the crew, the skinny guy and the fat gut included. Working muscles are different than gym muscles.

My brother recently ran his first marathon, a trail marathon with lots of up and down, at age 61. He's a construction electrician. Not a highly physical job. But he's a technical climber and rescue worker in the high Cascade Mountains. He is fit in ways that most people will never know.

Back