Rinadi Axes, unexpectedly great.

I think that's a pretty good supposition. The extra 4" of handle on the boy's axe would make a huge difference in being able to slide, but - even with a thinner bit you will have to put more energy into the Rinaldi due to lighter head.

To me this may or may not be a good trade off for camping as I'm not chopping for extended periods. I do wind up camping with the family in more accessible areas and have to go further for firewood, or tackle larger downfall. The Rinaldi is about 4 ozs heavier than my hatchet at a skosh over 2lbs, and the Council Boy's is 4 lbs total - too heavy for me to be packing without a real need.

By contrast I actually find my Italians to be better for long term use rather than short spurts.

I think that's a pretty good supposition. The extra 4" of handle on the boy's axe would make a huge difference in being able to slide, but - even with a thinner bit you will have to put more energy into the Rinaldi due to lighter head.

To me this may or may not be a good trade off for camping as I'm not chopping for extended periods. I do wind up camping with the family in more accessible areas and have to go further for firewood, or tackle larger downfall. The Rinaldi is about 4 ozs heavier than my hatchet at a skosh over 2lbs, and the Council Boy's is 4 lbs total - too heavy for me to be packing without a real need.

The delta between a lighter and heavier head in my experience isn't as great as many folks make it out to be within as reasonable range of weights. Momentum = Mass * Velocity so the amount of cutting force exerted by an axe is equally effected by both the weight of the axe head and the speed at which it is moving. When you consider the fact that mass also affects acceleration in a negative manor you start to understand why the difference in performance is't as sizable as one might assume. The heavier the object or the more mass the head has the slower it is to accelerate. This means with a lighter head you can reach or exceed the velocity of a heavier head with less or equal force. Given that knowledge it explains DBH's observations that he can swing the Rinaldi faster with less effort. I've had the same experience with some lighter axes I have. It's not that they are superior, more so that the are more effective than I would have expected which is a positive in my mind.

At least that's my prospective, YMMV.

My experience is as long as my form is good, I am able to manage the increased mass for longer duration than adding velocity.

I compare this a little to the .45 vs 9mm debate where the added mass of the .45 retains energy longer after encountering resistance, whereas the 9mm requires a serious increase in velocity to achieve same.

Obviously this is an individual factor, depending on experience, technique, build, etc so we're going to get a wide spectrum of opinions no matter. In the short term or if deeper penetration per whack is not a factor, the difference becomes less and less a factor. Also in my case, I'm always balancing against pack weight - I'm willing to tote an extra half pound if it means a notable increase in performance. I am not willing to tote an extra 2 lbs, time is not a big factor nor is best penetration - I'm not building a cabin.

I used to carry Fiskars hatchets but have switched to traditional hatchets thinned out for better efficiency even though they weigh a half pound more (average) - they chop deeper per hit and throw a larger chip per hit. That's saying something too, as I am a true fan of the Fiskar's hatchets.

This is where I start looking for options that fit a niche - short enough handle to easily use one handed with little fatigue and not hang off my pack, long enough to provide good leverage for two hands (sliding grip optional), heavy enough to tackle medium fare. The Rinaldi looks like a good fit as I can readily choke up on it for all my odd camp tasks and it isn't awkward like a Western Boy's axe would be one handed, yet it packs more power than a traditional hatchet and only 5 ozs or so more weight - less than a pound total more than a Fiskars hatchet to keep things in context. That's an upgrade.

I think what you have is a sprint vrs jogging situation. The speed that you "can" and actually have to generate to penetrate with the light axe(combined with the sticking) would cause fatigue in the long run faster than utilizing the weight of the axe head and the sliding hands method. I am contemplating picking up something new and reviewing it as the thaw is here and banging into frozen oak is finally coming to an end. But buying an axe and not getting to hang it is such a disappointment:).

The sticking is overemphasized, I can make a video mix of axe sticking with all the axes I've ever used.

I am not fatigued using a Rinaldi, quite the opposite which is why I enjoy it immensely.

I still like a classic boys axe its just try new things and think outside the box.

I look forward to your review with whatever ya get :)

Thanks for sharing! It's great to hear from someone who has used both side-by-side and can provide real-world feedback. Not many members have used (or at least used and reviewed) the Rinaldis, so it's a great addition to the forum. I guess it's true that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm sure lots of members will find this useful. Thanks for taking the time to post everything up! It'd be nice if more people did that, myself included.

Thanks for the support bruddah! Much appreciation.:D

Can we see a comparison of the bit geometry of the two axes side by side?

you got it

If I'm not mistaken, the Council has an extra 3/4lb of steel in the head compared to the Rinaldi, yes?
Feels like 1/2 lbs difference

My experience is as long as my form is good, I am able to manage the increased mass for longer duration than adding velocity.

I compare this a little to the .45 vs 9mm debate where the added mass of the .45 retains energy longer after encountering resistance, whereas the 9mm requires a serious increase in velocity to achieve same.

Obviously this is an individual factor, depending on experience, technique, build, etc so we're going to get a wide spectrum of opinions no matter. In the short term or if deeper penetration per whack is not a factor, the difference becomes less and less a factor. Also in my case, I'm always balancing against pack weight - I'm willing to tote an extra half pound if it means a notable increase in performance. I am not willing to tote an extra 2 lbs, time is not a big factor nor is best penetration - I'm not building a cabin.

I used to carry Fiskars hatchets but have switched to traditional hatchets thinned out for better efficiency even though they weigh a half pound more (average) - they chop deeper per hit and throw a larger chip per hit. That's saying something too, as I am a true fan of the Fiskar's hatchets.

This is where I start looking for options that fit a niche - short enough handle to easily use one handed with little fatigue and not hang off my pack, long enough to provide good leverage for two hands (sliding grip optional), heavy enough to tackle medium fare. The Rinaldi looks like a good fit as I can readily choke up on it for all my odd camp tasks and it isn't awkward like a Western Boy's axe would be one handed, yet it packs more power than a traditional hatchet and only 5 ozs or so more weight - less than a pound total more than a Fiskars hatchet to keep things in context. That's an upgrade.

Martin,

you don't have to use my style of swinging if you get a Rinaldi,

Benjamin has the complete opposite style from me.

He has great form and uses a sliding technique with a focus on endurance and precision over power and speed.

Works great for him.

[youtube]ruu1s2-bdsA&t=93s[/youtube]

Just goes to show its not a one size fits all we can't base conclusions off of specifications alone.

In fact, watching this video helped me decide that this axe would work great for my style of swinging with more speed and power.
also combine with the hard steel and under a c-note price tag, had to try it out.

when I first saw it and held it in person it felt and looked goofy, but I reserved my judgement for when the bit hit the wood.

Didn't expect it to do as well as it did.

its not a botique axe, in fact its quite ugly to our american eyes.

but I've come to respect this axe and now its grown on me.

quite beautiful now but only after I saw how hard she can work.

Regarding the weight of CT boys axe, there's a review online where the head came off (I think) and was weighed at 2#. That seems reasonable to me as the CT boys axe felt light and similar to the Hudson bay which is supposed to be 2# in its current incarnation. I gave the boys axe away, but was impressed at its thinness and "bite".

I've really been enjoying the lightweight portability of this axe

I really feel like it can go anywhere with me yet I don't feel "outgunned" when I need to get some serious work done.

I wasn't aware that the Rinaldi could NOT pop out chips mostly because it has not been an issue for me :D

[youtube]ssLyrTEa1gU[/youtube]

I am surprised by how flat cheeked the Council is. I guess I have just had older ones. The Italian head looks cleaner with more attention to the finish grinding.
How is the Edge holding between the two of them?

This is good stuff DbH! :thumbup:

I am surprised by how flat cheeked the Council is. I guess I have just had older ones. The Italian head looks cleaner with more attention to the finish grinding.
How is the Edge holding between the two of them?

This is good stuff DbH! :thumbup:

Thanks brother,

the CT does not hold an edge as long, if I check the edge at the end of the day with my fingers sliding on the edge it doesn't grab me.
The Rinaldi holds a better edge. It still grabs my fingers at the end of the day, it won't hold a hair popping edge but it can still do a scrap shave on leg hair.

I'm always concerned that with the harder steel, the axe will break, especially since I am hitting stuff as hard as I can with such a thin bit. No cracks or failures yet and I've really put it through the paces which makes me happy.

The edge doesn't have chipping issues either which also surprised me. It does go dull of course but it holds an edge longer then other axes in this price range. I've been maintaining the edge with the Arctic Fox stones, The steel grinds very easy as well. So far the Gransfors has been the best edge holding but it doesn't grind and sharpen as easy as the Rinaldi. The Gransfors feels more "glassy" on stones.

I'll share some sharpening pics later.

Thanks brother,

the CT does not hold an edge as long, if I check the edge at the end of the day with my fingers sliding on the edge it doesn't grab me.
The Rinaldi holds a better edge. It still grabs my fingers at the end of the day, it won't hold a hair popping edge but it can still do a scrap shave on leg hair.

I'm always concerned that with the harder steel, the axe will break, especially since I am hitting stuff as hard as I can with such a thin bit. No cracks or failures yet and I've really put it through the paces which makes me happy.

The edge doesn't have chipping issues either which also surprised me. It does go dull of course but it holds an edge longer then other axes in this price range. I've been maintaining the edge with the Arctic Fox stones, The steel grinds very easy as well. So far the Gransfors has been the best edge holding but it doesn't grind and sharpen as easy as the Rinaldi. The Gransfors feels more "glassy" on stones.

I'll share some sharpening pics later.

Great review my friend!

How is the head staying put? The handle stock is pretty beefy, but that would be my next concern with a pick type mounting.

The thing I really like about this has nothing to do with raw chopping power. When I camp I tend to do everything with my hatchet. My knife is for trimming candle wicks or opening the odd food wrapper and as such I only carry a 3" fixed blade - my chopper does everything else. Gripped under the head with ring and pinkie, index and middle finger pointing down the cheek, I make tent stakes, pot hangers, spoons etc. Looks like a good fit on this axe.

As mentioned, I have five hatchets so is tough for me to drop $ on another cruising chopper, but this could make life easier and that is worth something. Plus my camping kit is pretty maxed out/refined, I haven't added or removed anything in years. My choppers are about the only thing that still gets tinkered with.

At 24" I'd probably swing it the way you do with a static hold at the base.

I've really been enjoying the lightweight portability of this axe

I really feel like it can go anywhere with me yet I don't feel "outgunned" when I need to get some serious work done.

I wasn't aware that the Rinaldi could NOT pop out chips mostly because it has not been an issue for me :D

[youtube]ssLyrTEa1gU[/youtube]

More cottonwood? Looks sufficiently softened from its already soft state. You seem to have a statewide moss invasion:)

Great review my friend!

How is the head staying put? The handle stock is pretty beefy, but that would be my next concern with a pick type mounting.

The thing I really like about this has nothing to do with raw chopping power. When I camp I tend to do everything with my hatchet. My knife is for trimming candle wicks or opening the odd food wrapper and as such I only carry a 3" fixed blade - my chopper does everything else. Gripped under the head with ring and pinkie, index and middle finger pointing down the cheek, I make tent stakes, pot hangers, spoons etc. Looks like a good fit on this axe.

As mentioned, I have five hatchets so is tough for me to drop $ on another cruising chopper, but this could make life easier and that is worth something. Plus my camping kit is pretty maxed out/refined, I haven't added or removed anything in years. My choppers are about the only thing that still gets tinkered with.

At 24" I'd probably swing it the way you do with a static hold at the base.
its staying put, in the first video I made I felt it come slightly loose on some very hard swings, but it will not fly around anywhere as shown by Jon.
Its definitely seats itself with use. Now its very tight.

Jon Ugalde is definatly an "Axe expert" This man is an encyclopedia with a wealth of knowledge.
he has a cool video where he displays a loose head in action, while this is a "Basque Design" the both share taper fit eyes
[youtube]ImBQCe1snO4&list=UUH-EhqpTEpk3H_wd7Hl5LMw&index=8[/youtube]

he also shows how to hang a taper fit axe.

[youtube]n-kcRNP6Mzw&list=UUH-EhqpTEpk3H_wd7Hl5LMw&index=11[/youtube]

I am very grateful to Jon Ugalde and his passion for knowledge and teaching.

Here is a Rinaldi limbing video, I choke up on the handle but still to great performance, I really enjoy that razor sharp thin long bit for this

[Youtube]JAwxXO99R8E[/youtube]

More cottonwood? Looks sufficiently softened from its already soft state. You seem to have a statewide moss invasion:)
I try to do my part in battling the moss :D

How much did that Rinaldi cost?

bout $60 bucks

I bought the sharpening upgrade too for $5 bucks more.

that is not including the shipping though.

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/riaboaxe.html
`

I have not spent any time in the northwest to speak of. Been about everywhere else though.

I've really been enjoying the lightweight portability of this axe.

You are a strong and energetic young man. But your really are outgunned chopping that size tree with such a light axe (regardless of the style or where it was made). With a full size axe you wouldn't need to increase the width of the cut - twice. And with a longer haft you wouldn't have to bend down as much and that would give you more wind. The bending constricts the diaphragm.

There's no doubt that little axe is doing the job. It's performing well above what I expected. I think it would compete well with the offerings from GB.

You are a strong and energetic young man. But your really are outgunned chopping that size tree with such a light axe (regardless of the style or where it was made). With a full size axe you wouldn't need to increase the width of the cut - twice. And with a longer haft you wouldn't have to bend down as much and that would give you more wind. The bending constricts the diaphragm.

There's no doubt that little axe is doing the job. It's performing well above what I expected. I think it would compete well with the offerings from GB.

This is true, but I do this to show the performance, the GB SFA cannot compete with the RAB, but the GB SFA is a better "product" ( nicer handle, steel, sheath, etc) but the RAB has better performance.

That brown heart wood was hard as a rock, I honestly thought the bit was going to break.

it made a high pitch "clink" sound on impact but I kept at it, hitting it as hard as I could, really had to work at it to pop chips.

No edge damage to my surprise.

I stopped and looked at the wood grain, very swirly

Thats when I knew this wasn't cottonwood.

Some kind of oak.

might have to havest it and make a handle :D

Regarding the weight of CT boys axe, there's a review online where the head came off (I think) and was weighed at 2#. That seems reasonable to me as the CT boys axe felt light and similar to the Hudson bay which is supposed to be 2# in its current incarnation. I gave the boys axe away, but was impressed at its thinness and "bite".
That's along ways to be off on a boys axe and would be noticed. I like the cruiser weight a little better and that is 2 1/2lbs so it's just a little step up but you can feel it. Them old military surplus Swedish axes are even more useful and they are 3lbs on a boys sized haft. The couple I have owned were both on the soft side of things though. I still have one but I probably won't hang onto it. I just really liked the size and weight.

Some kind of oak.

might have to havest it and make a handle :D

Probably Garry Oak given your location. I made my broadaxe handle out of garry oak. It's mostly passed up as timber or lumber because it tends not to grow straight. But pieces straight enough for an axe handle are easy to find.

That's along ways to be off on a boys axe and would be noticed. I like the cruiser weight a little better and that is 2 1/2lbs so it's just a little step up but you can feel it. Them old military surplus Swedish axes are even more useful and they are 3lbs on a boys sized haft. The couple I have owned were both on the soft side of things though. I still have one but I probably won't hang onto it. I just really liked the size and weight.

I don't know for sure, and not the one I was remembering, but this review explicitly states 2#.

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/06/council-tool-boys-axe-review.html

Either way it was a nice little axe and seemed functionally equivalent to other boys axes, but I usually use a 3.5# when I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing and might need it, so I didn't push it too hard for the few weeks I had it.

Back