1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rodent Waki Pre-order NOW!!!!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Eric Isaacson, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MustardMan

MustardMan

Mar 14, 2009

When I said slightly, I wasn't kidding. The balance point on the G10 waki is right at the point where the plunge line meets the choil. The balance point on the micarta is about a quarter of an inch more towards the point of the blade, maybe less.

There's almost no difference.

2. DWRW

DWRW

Jul 21, 2005

I agree with ALL of the points you value mentioned above. The Waki fits the bill.

I have considered purchasing a Cheness Wakizashi blade and custom handling the blade myself with micarta. At least they are full convex grind and their 9260 series is theoretically pretty tough. But, I am just not sure how tough. I am very learry of a blade that size breaking during hard use. A broken blade tip is a potentially dangerous flying object.

I actually have a Criswell Wakizashi. While it is a pretty blade and supposed to be tough, it is hollow grind - which I DON'T care for and do not like or want on a wakizashi. It is a HORRIBLE grind IMO for a sword. Also, and somewhat interesting. The Criswell, while similar in weight and size (see below) balances quite a bit differently and is much more blade heavy.
    While this would theoretically give the Criswell more power in the blade, it is just a bit much to control with one hand. I like the feel and balance of the Rodent Waki much better AND the proper convex grind on the Waki. :thumbup:

Further, the Waki's convex grind AND thinner blade will cut way better than the Criswell. I have never chopped with the Criswell. But, I have plenty enough experience with other big blades to KNOW without needing to swing my Criswell.

And I have a LOT more confidence in the toughness and heat-treatment from Swamp Rat! :thumbup:

The Swamp Rat Waki is a FREAKIN' awesome blade. It is almost everything in DESIGN, shape, size, thickness, grind, etc. I could have hoped for. Although, I am STILL not sure what the pommel design is all about. ????????

But,... if I have to find complaint, I "WISH" my Waki's came SATIN at this high a price. :grumpy: - I had hoped the CG's would be around $275 - $300 and $375 - $400 should buy a SATIN Waki IMO - Both my SATIN Criswell and SATIN Northwind cost me at or under $200.... And I could get a Cheness for under $200 as well (I could find 9260 Wakizashi blades with just Shirasaya for around $120). And ALL of those blades come with the INDUSTRY STANDARD "SATIN" finish - Further, they all also came with a sheath/scabbord!.........So, based on things I keep seeing ("Res-C" handled S5LE for around $200 and such!), I guess the satin LE Waki's will be way more expensive than I had hoped and more expensive than I can justify. At this point, I assume the Satin LE Waki's might be close to $550 - $600 or so (???????). - ...... WAY out of my justification range. :(
    So, I picked up my two CG's and can't hold my breath for the LE's. I guess I will have to satin finish my CG's myself AGAIN! :grumpy: - Getting VERY tired of satin finishing blades. :grumpy:

Anyway, in spite of my frustration about lack of satin at a reasonable price, most people don't feel how I do about satin finishes. And the Waki "IS" freakin' awesome. I have to recommend people to GET IT!

---------------------------

For comparison:

Rodent Waki (G10)….. = 33 ounces; 0.195” thick; 17.0” blade; 27.625” oal
    Rodent Waki (micarta) = 31 ounces; 0.195” thick; 17.0” blade; 27.625” oal

Criswell Wakizashi = 33.0 ounces; 0.275” thick; 20.125” blade; 29.125” oal

BRKT – Northwind = 20.0 ounces; 0.217” thick; 17.25” blade; 23.75” oal
    BRKT - Golok………. = 17.5 ounces; 0.210” thick; 11.5” blade; 17.5” oal

Tramontina machete = 17.0 ounces; 0.084” thick; 17.625” blade; 22.9375” oal

Condor – El Salvador (thick machete) = 22.0 ounces; 0.115” thick 17.9375” blade; 23.125” oal

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I was planning on getting the Chenness Ko Katana myself so I know what you mean. I'm not I get why the satin finish is such a big deal myself but, thankfully, it doesn't bother me as much. At least you could afford 2. Not only can't I justify 2 Wakis, but I couldn't buy one even if I justified it.

Pics or it didn't happen:p:thumbup:

4. customizerwannabe

customizerwannabe

Feb 17, 2008
    I feel the exact same way about satin. Should not be an extra premium on knives that cost this much to begin with. That said I bought 5 and will probably buy a satin or 2 also.:eek::D

5. yallknowho

yallknowho

Jan 7, 2007
    Awesome, thanks. Just wanted to make sure.

Alex

6. chtudor

chtudor

Sep 18, 2008
    Thanks for the extra time spent notifying all of us preorder folks Eric. You've got to be getting your keister kicked and myself and I'm sure everyone else appreciates the extra time taken to answer all of the emails.

7. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    Yes, thank you indeed Eric :thumbup::thumbup:

8. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    2 words... BAD ASS! Just got mine.

9. DWRW

DWRW

Jul 21, 2005
    It could happen. ;) I have them all except the Waki in G10. Eric posted the weights. I just measured my micarta lengths and excepted Eric's weights for the two.

I also have a Cheness "Kaze" katana with hamon. The ito is cheaply done in cotton IMO. And the Seppa could be a better fit (being picky). But, if the ito had been a nicer material and little tighter, I would be VERY impressed with my Cheness katana - Especially considering I only paid about $150. :eek:
    The grinds are INCREDIBLE!!! Fine details in the convex to sharp edge. FINELY detailed spine, etc. I personally did some finer polishing. But, the factory polish was pretty decent and otherwise an amazing blade and again an amazing price.

However, I can't speak for it's toughness or durability. I have not hit anything hard with it. And without knowing how durable it is, it is effectively a VERY NICE looking display blade. And hard for me to catagorize "Worth" outside of display/collectible without knowing it's functional abilities.

I could be wrong, but my main concern about using the Cheness for HARD use might be the handle and it's method for attachment. I am just a little learry about it.

Also, it is actually just TOO nice for me to take out and beat on something with it and it is my only katana. If I had two, I would probably go beat on one. And considering the price, someday I will probably pick up another and beat on it. :thumbup: But, until then, I will save my one as a GORGEOUS display. I have always wanted a katana and consider it the pinnacle of my collection - even if more symbolic than functional.

I can say the Cheness Kaze katana is a VICIOUS weapon ... or at least could be (especially if sufficiently tough :confused:). Tough or not :confused:, it is still very large and very sharp. I own MANY knives and nothing in my collection earns my respect and attention for care when just handling the katana. I sometimes get nervous handling it. It makes Wakis, Northwinds, and machetes seem like toys.

I seriously consider the katana to be "TOO" large for any practical purpose - at least for my purposes and my opinion.

I believed prior to receiving my Katana that a Katana was not well suited in size for any practical use and that a Wakizashi was a MUCH better size for potential practical use. After receiving my Katana, I still believe the Wakizashi size is much more practical.

A Wakizashi is WAY more suited for carry in the woods or for those who fantasize about self defense use, a Wakizashi is WAY better suited for CQC. A Katana needs LOTS of room to swing.

Consider this: Anywhere you can't make a FULL swing with a large golf driver you probably can't swing a Katana "properly" either.

Also, a well designed, balanced and weighted Wakizashi (like the Rodent Waki :thumbup: ) can easily be managed with either one hand or both hands if situation justifies.

But, plan on needing to be built like Arnold to control a full size katana "properly" with one hand..... and I am not convinced Arnold could control a full size Katana "properly" with one hand.

The Waki size is just WAY more practical and useful - IMO. :thumbup:

A "Ko-Katana" is about 7"-10" shorter than a full size katana and not too much larger than a Wakizashi. So, much more practical and potentially useful than a full size katana. But, I honestly still feel the Wakizashi sizes are even more practical.

I think full size katanas are best suited for display and goza, tatami or water bottles - unless VERY well trained.

For a "user", Cheness claims their 9260 to be their toughest steel.

I would recommend looking at the Tenchi without bo-hi or the SGC series. I am not sure which is tougher, but even Cheness claims the "thinner/taller" SGC to be a better cutter. ;)

You might feel the Rodent Waki is more than you want to spend or can justify spending at this time, but I have to SERIOUSLY recommend considering finding a way. I bought 2 and am currently unemployed. I couldn't justify it at ALL - other than knowing it fit the bill for a highly desirably blade to me (other than not being satin......). But, I know if I didn't get it. I would be VERY sorry later.

10. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    One of the reasons I wanted a Chenness Kaze Ko Katana is because of a review that I read online. I understand that it should be sufficient for actual combat. I wouldn't be too worried if I had to use it with full force. It may not be the best tree chopper though;).

I also like the shorter wakizashi size, but I want a longer handle. The wakizashi handle size seems too short to hold with 2 hands if I wanted to use it that way. Other than that, I agree with your general assesment.

I agree that people should find a way get at least one of these. I'm unemployed myself and I made it happen (black on black micarta:thumbup:). I had to sell some stuff, but it's worth it to me.

11. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    +1, me too. My GF and I are splitting a repair or two for her jeep that in total cost over 3K, and I'm applying for med school this year. Normally I don't get to the point where I have to sell stuff to get the next knife I want, but it's pretty tight now. I just couldn't pass up this Waki though. Way worth it. :thumbup:

12. Ranger757

Ranger757

Mar 12, 2002
    No question, this is one that should not be passed up. Get it, you will not be sorry!! :D

13. DWRW

DWRW

Jul 21, 2005

Yeah.... sadly... +1 for me as well.

Luckily, I had some spares of a few knives I could sell. But, those were knives I wanted to have as spares for many years from now. Anyway, such is life. At least I had some spares to sell I guess.

It was WELL worth it though. :thumbup:

14. norcalblacktail

norcalblacktail

Jan 17, 2008
    I hear you on the satin finish DWRW....it could at least come with the option of getting it like the SARSQUATCH in competition finish so it would make it easier to satin or the option of getting it uncoated. I really think Jerry should consider offering Bussekin knives with a no coating option.

15. Mindz_I

Mindz_I

Nov 6, 2002
    I'm hoping I've just managed to sneak on to this. This is about the perfect blade for my purposes.

Just fits inside the stupid UK legislation, for about the best bit of home defense zombie chopping kit, to my eyes

I've dropped an email for Sage blade and Black / Green G10.

So fingers crossed :D

16. Tripton

Tripton Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2008
    Uncross 'em, man. Preorder is still open.

:D

17. Mindz_I

Mindz_I

Nov 6, 2002
    Cool :) Hoping I can change my blade color. The sage is a little lighter / tan than I'd expected so hoping to go for Grey.

18. lsheldon

lsheldon

Jan 2, 2009
    You will need to send Eric an email or PM asking to have the change made on your order.

Good luck,

Les.

19. Mindz_I

Mindz_I

Nov 6, 2002
    Thanks - I have emailed Eric (at the two addresses I sent the pre-order to) to ask to change.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  20. CUTiger3

CUTiger3

Apr 18, 2004
    I tried to fight the temptation, but I just place my order :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.