1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Bad RONINUSMC stole my money. Beware!

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Turbo4x4, Aug 28, 2019.

1. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I get your frustration with those offers, but being lowballed is not equal to being scammed. It very well could just be an offer made from ignorance. Plus, they were up front with their offer, it just sucked.

Putting them on ignore or do not deal is a sound move though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Yes!

Lowballers can be annoying, sure, but if you just ignore them they generally get the message and go away. If you don't participate, you can't be scammed

I'm sorry the OP got scammed. But, if you take risky chances that you've been warned about to save thirty bucks you could find that you've been scammed.

This stuff is so easy. Follow the rules and protect yourself. It sure looked like the seller had a good reputation here before this incident. It just goes to show that you really never know, and reinforces the idea that you need to do everything you can to take care of yourself.

3. dharmapunk707

dharmapunk707 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Dang man I’m just reading this. I’m sorry to hear this happened! You’re a good guy and it sucks to be ripped off. I tried sending you a message but your inbox is full. Send me a DM when you’ve got time

4. stonesell

stonesell Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2009
    If the seller is unwilling to respond, and you can prove that he received the payment, a professional debt collector might be able to help you, or offer advice.
    If that fails, perhaps you know a good friend here in the states that can arrange a knowledgeable person to put some pressure on the guy, and convince him to settle the matter.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm a buyer. The seller is a thief...

dharmapunk707 and WValtakis like this.
  6. golden_dragon

golden_dragon Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Good idea indeed, in OP's case, the total amount is $600. Go through a debt collector and a law enforcer would cost more than it should.

7. stonesell

Feb 20, 2009
    I got it straight now, and I corrected the terms. It’s still a case of him owing you the knife or your money back. If it were me, I would pursue the matter even if it cost me more money, but I realize that sustaining an extra expense is not sensible for everyone

8. Turbo4x4

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm overseas )) and the seller uses this

9. stonesell

Feb 20, 2009
    A good non violent way to put pressure on a person, even from a different country, would be to find a good computer hacker, and mess with the thief’s digital imprint. From what I quickly read, the guy is not exactly a ghost, but easily identified, including address, work, and even with a social media status. While it may not be legal to do so, he has already started to act outside of the law, so it may be a way to encourage him to pay attention to your legitimate claim.

10. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I don't think you're going to find a White Hat Hacker that will work for what a 600 dollar knife is really worth. Legal or not, it's sketchy to do so. Losing 600 bucks on a knife is sickening. While I doubt the OP is taking food off his table to buy a knife that was never sent to him, 600 dollars isn't chump change to most people. Still, the actions that one can take from overseas is limited to what the math is worth. That is to say, every action the OP tries to take is going to be more overly expensive than what it is worth to do so. My guess this is exactly why the seller didn't send the knife, because what can the buyer actually DO about it from overseas? I think he did the right thing. He alerted the community here to this thief. Now he is on our radar. While it may not mean the OP gets his knife or money back, one slip up in the US could land the seller into some serious hot water, and the hammer can be brought down on him properly.

Karma has a way of working this stuff out.

Lance Leon and stonesell like this.
  11. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    If that facebook profile is that guy and it was my $600. I wouldn't be above calling UPS head office and filing a complaint with HR. I'm no lawyer but I have heard the term "Mail / Wire Fraud" thrown around before. I'm not 100% sure but I think you register your complaint with the office of the Post Master General.

Maybe the guy is in Hospital or something though?

stonesell likes this.
  12. Turbo4x4

Jun 4, 2011
    Emerson Knives are very easy to track at different sites — they have a unique serial number.
    It was written above that the seller later put this knife on another site, and did not even hesitate to indicate its serial number ...

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  13. Gastonknife

Gastonknife Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2008
    This might be one of the best ideas posted, especially if he is a supervisor. Gather all the info you can on him. If you can figure out what location he works at then that's good info. At the very least he may have to explain himself to his employer. It probably doesn't get you your money back, but at least creates some stress for him. He deserves it.

stonesell likes this.
  14. dsutton24

Apr 9, 2018
    This is probably the worst bit of advice I've ever seen here.

The OP isn't entirely blameless here. OP, have you filed a claim with PayPal?

Triton likes this.
  15. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    What blame, because he used F&F ?

bghorn and Lone_Wolfe like this.
  16. Turbo4x4

Jun 4, 2011
    I sent money as F&F.
    Not for saving, it was just easier with a smartphone.

17. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    You should still file a claim and explain the situation, PayPal has refunded F&F payments before:thumbsup:

stonesell, Peter Hartwig and Boru13 like this.
  18. stonesell

Feb 20, 2009
    Granted that this may be a radical idea, but I also believe that motivating an extremely unethical and stubborn person may also require an unusually unique approach, especially for a person that lives in another country half way around the world.
    I was just wondering about how can one influence a thief that feels secure living a continent apart from his victim, and while I do not have a definitive answer, I feel bad about the OP’s predicament, and would like to be helpful.

19. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    That sucks man. I hate to say this but I've seen this kinda thing happen before on other forums for stuff I collect, and 90% of the time a drug habit is the culprit.

The worst case I've witnessed is a guy who had 500 positive feedback for selling bikes. The buyer had bought from him several times before so he bought a $3000 bike via F/F and the guy suddenly ghosted. When people finally tracked him down they found out he had met a younger woman who was an addict, and now he also was an addict and his life had gone to complete crap.

20. dsutton24

Apr 9, 2018
    Yes.

Had he followed the advice that the Forum gives everyone, and had he followed PayPal's guidelines, he could file a complaint with PayPal, get his money back. The OP has not indicated that he has filed a complaint with PayPal. That would seem to me to be a great second step (after posting here) despite the possibility the PayPal would decline because of the Friends and Family payment.

The seller is a skunk, no doubt. But this thread has gone on long enough that you've got people suggesting the OP find hackers to do mess with his 'imprint', or local people to 'talk' to him... it seems a little bit unhinged. At this point it's just a knife deal gone wrong. Taking amateur action against the dealer could be a really bad idea.