Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by dalee100, Sep 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. GasMan1

GasMan1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2015
    What patterns did you pick Up?

2. TsarBomba

TsarBomba Banned BANNED

Jan 10, 2015
    Good enough quality to show the detail that matters. Another Barlow I need to pick up. :eek: Do you think that shield is pewter? Looks like it could be.

The sawcut bone Barlow was my first RR, received when I first took delivery of the Wingen Barlow that would probably be the "knife of 2015" if I had made myself choose one in the relevant thread, and it's worthy of at least as much CE & CF as many of the older Barlows I've posted in traditionals.

It might be the "unpopular opinion" thread but we like it. :p Welcome to the porch! :thumbup:

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks :) I suspect that if the shield was pewter, they'd advertise the fact, and that if I ran a toothbrush over it, it'd look quite different - I probably won't! :D :thumbup:

4. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    I modified this congress I've had for a while with a round file on the bolsters for that "custom" look and then filed (and sanded) the entire thing to even the springs, liners and bolsters up that they round off on a buffing wheel. Looks rather crisp now. :)

[​IMG]

5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Jack That new Barlow looks very tidy, it's one of RR's best patterns: an inexpensive and very nicely turned out item.

Thanks, Will

6. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    [​IMG]

Did an oldie modded barlow I've had about 5 years now.

7. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any experience with the Rough Rider mini fixed blade?
    I know that it's not necessarily a traditional pattern but they offer them with jigged bone, (imitation) turquoise and their usual stoneworx pattern. I'm thinking of picking one (or more) up to test out and possibly modify as neck knives and google comes up mostly silent on them.

8. Bloefield

Bloefield

Aug 2, 2013
    Nice RR's guys.
    Here is a lockback that I like a lot so I bought a backup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BASguy

BASguy

May 25, 2015
    [​IMG]
    This is absolutely the best knife I've ever owned. I have been using the heck out of it at work and home and it holds an amazing edge, is absolutely a perfect fit in weight, balance, and ergo. Even though it's larger than the Barlows, this half hawk fits very nicely in the watch pocket of my jeans.
    I ordered a couple of spares so I am never without this knife again.

10. ginnyroscoe37

ginnyroscoe37

Feb 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

Interesting new Rough Rider purchase today, it's actually a lock blade, and absolutely gorgeous, fit, finish, walk and talk, excellent quality!!! These Rough Riders are tops as per value , and craftsmanship.

11. TsarBomba

TsarBomba Banned BANNED

Jan 10, 2015
    Smooth green bone canoe. Effortless to carry, scary sharp, real pretty. All under $10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This might be their nicest bone.

12. billsch8

billsch8

Oct 25, 2010
    Wow! That's a beauty!

13. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Very nice canoe there, Tsar.

14. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Great to see how much you enjoy your half hawk, BASguy! :thumbup: I picked one up in a trade with Last Rodeo, and, while I'd probably not call it the best knife I've ever owned, I agree that it's a marvelous knife! Mine's smooth tobacco bone, and it's certainly an auspiscious piece of cutlery! ;)
    [​IMG]

Congrats on the new Rough Rider, ginnyroscoe; I haven't seen one like that before! :cool: It's kind of weird/unusual, but that's part of what makes it very wonderful! :D What's the model number or name?

I've developed a hard-core addiction to canoes in general, and Rough Rider canoes in particular (so far), so I'm compelled to congratulate you on that captivating, verdant RR canoe, TB!! :thumbup: I might beg to differ with you on your claim of "nicest bone", but that's a matter of opinion, and we're each entitled to our own. ;)

15. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    I loved every one I have bought.

16. kashima

kashima

Dec 8, 2010
    no experience but nice knife

17. TsarBomba

TsarBomba Banned BANNED

Jan 10, 2015
    They really do have an excellent selection of bone, thinking over the ones I've had the opportunity to CE&CF. I am truly loving that smooth tobacco bone/acorn shield combo -- once I get my DBJ situation worked out with the dealer I will have 3, and that half-hawk is probably next on the list. I personally love the bone on my canoe because of the variance in color depth throughout, as I mentioned in the Coyote thread, plus I'm a sucker for the color green. :D The sawcut brown bone on my very first RR (the Barlow) is also excellent, as is the "gunstock" jigged bone on the lady leg, and that red-tinged jigged bone that's been around lately is also an eye-catcher. And yes, the canoe pattern is definitely growing on me too. :eek:

After I secure some of the upcoming GEC new runs (and work off that totally impulsive second 'yote purchase from yesterday) I might just try to complete my smooth tobacco bone collection. Betcha the whole line costs less than one Tidioute. :D

18. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    These two have become my everyday knives for work. I work in maintenance, mainly as a painter and decorator but also undertaking minor building works, and the small yellow work knife has proven to be a great tool for just about every cutting task. Small, robust and sharp it fits the bill perfectly. The small amber bone stockman comes with me on days when lighter duties are expected and is always a practical and smart alternative. Apart from being great knives, the good thing about using these Rough Riders for work is that they are surprisingly cheep and so it wouldn't be the end of the world if one were broken or lost. But I really wouldn't want that to happen to either of these knives, they have become useful and familiar companions.

[​IMG]Untitled by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

I liked the sodbuster pattern so much, I bought the large version in amber bone. A really impressive, strong, large, locking knife. Fantastic value for money.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  19. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Blake Agreed, the Dirtbuster range by RR do make for an excellent work-knife. :thumbup: I prefer the smaller version and have a couple of them with liner-locks too when I feel like a bit of safety if I'm cutting bendy/whippy plastics that can 'grab' a slipjoint shut if you're not 100% focused :eek::eek::D The steel stays sharp very well indeed too.

I particularly like the very pointed Drop Point blade style that RR uses, more than the CASE version that's a bit rounded for my taste.

Thanks, Will

20. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    They're really good little knives aren't they Will. The small ones without the liner locks are legal to carry here, so there's no worries if they stay in the pocket at the end of the day. But the larger, locking version will have to remain in the tool bag. :thumbup:

Cheers. Mark.