Round up those Cattle Knives!!

Model 66 from 2017, called a Calf Roper by GEC. I stand corrected; it's not a Junior Cattle Knife because it is not an equal ender, it has a slight serpentine frame. :thumbsup:
Hope this junior stockman hasn't been too much trouble. :)

Eg2dcHN.jpg

Last edited:
The 66 calf roper is a stockman, but the 68 buckaroo is a cattle knife. It comes down to handle shape.

I absolutely agree with you!! The #66 is a "junior" stockman if you will, note the serpentine shape, while the #68 buckaroo, being a symmetrical equal-ender, is a cattle knife!!
Paul, Charlie, thanks for setting the record straight. Somehow I forgot that the 66 does have a serpentine frame. Stockman it is.

Phil, that looks nice! Is that a brand new production one? by the looks of the Clip Point Etch - seems to be? I remember the Older Wostenholms had a Long Hollowed Punch. I would love some shots of it when it arrives Sir! 🙏

The sellers photo did show a hollow punch; the knife appears to be carbon steel as there is a small amount of scattered rust. I hope that the springs are good, not too weak or too strong. I dislike one that's near impossible to open as much as I do a weak one.

Fresh out of the box photos. After taking these I spent time sharpening the blades; they had what I would call rudimentary edge bevels, it took a while, and I also took a few minutes with a diamond file to fix the choils. Spring tension is good except for the punch which is very strong. That coupled with the hollowed shape makes it difficult to open. Any rust speckles were tiny and polish on all parts inside and out are as new. I wonder how old this knife is and what company built it. Overall a very nice four bladed stag cattle knife.

The stag colors in the pictures turned out a bit more reddish looking than the actual knife is, it looks a little darker brown. Hard to get the lighting right, I either wind up with hot glare reflections or shadows that obscure all of the details.

Fresh out of the box photos. After taking these I spent time sharpening the blades; they had what I would call rudimentary edge bevels, it took a while, and I also took a few minutes with a diamond file to fix the choils. Spring tension is good except for the punch which is very strong. That coupled with the hollowed shape makes it difficult to open. Any rust speckles were tiny and polish on all parts inside and out are as new. I wonder how old this knife is and what company built it. Overall a very nice four bladed stag cattle knife.

A nice treasure, Phil!!!

Back