Rumor of happenings between Ontario and RAT Cutlery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, please continue to keep up the pressure on Ontario--write letters, emails, spread the word, copy and post this thread on other forums, etc. If your a dealer, return your stock or cancel future orders. Ontario has made a lot of money off Jeff and Mike and now they're trying to destroy them while simultaneously continuing to use their names to make a profit to fund their attempt at putting them out of business. That just ain't cricket. They need to do the right thing.

If you got a loved one or friend in the military, law enforcement or firefighter, buy them an RC-3 or RC-4 this week cause: 1. They'll love it 2. The proceeds go to help Jeff and Mike fight this nonsense. 3. It may very well save their life 4. They're in public service and deserve it and 4. It'll make you feel good that you helped so many people; you'll be a hero, doing your part.

Well, you have a gov't contract to fulfill, maybe they could throw some weight around to make this go away...

Do not wake the sleeping giant cause he might just get PO'D. Ontario just may have made the first shot in the war but they shot themselves in the foot. I had planned to purchase a couple more machetes and some spec plus stuff but now I'm not until this whole mess is sorted out. Ontario may not understand just how many RAT sales are from devoted knife users such as those on this forum and others or from word of mouth from the users of diffrent forums and now with more and more support for Jeff coming daily I have a feeling that they are going to regret starting this fight. How many people after hearing about this are going to tell people to buy Ontarios products very few if any how many people are going to buy RAT knives from Jeff in support of him quite a few. I wonder if Ontario remembers what happened to Kmart when they used Rosie O Gunhater as thier spokes person and gun owners boycotted them and to me thats not even as bad as what Ontario is doing to Jeff. Ontario is going to find out the hard way that messing with the little guy can be harder and more costly than they think.

Ontario forgets that the customer comes first. Now they've bet wrongly on what the customer wants. Bigtime.

I had a funny idea. We could all donate our Ontario RAT knives to Mike and Jeff to sell at a discount to help with their fees. hahaha. Wouldn't that be great for Ontario to find out that their products were helping the side of good? :D

For the lawyers on the board.....

would a thread like this be considered slander?

just a thought...sometimes good intentions are not all that helpful

You have all heard the saying (probably at work) “no good deed goes unpunished”.

would a thread like this be considered slander?

No, first it wouldn't be slander, it would be libel, since it's in print, but it's not even that.

Voicing your own personal opinion about the action of others, is not libelous.

Ontario bites! :D

I have never owned a RAT Cutlery blade, but I have owned several Ontarios. I won't own any more as long as this is going on. Unless the mods have a problem with it, my signature will now be used to spread the word.

Honestly guys, let's step back a bit.
What I honestly hope is that Ontario realizes that it's about to pull a Zumbo and cut their own pecker off if they continue in pursuit of a law suit. I hope they withdraw the threat. There's a lot they can do with the RAT line. Just get the QC more consistant, mainly. I'll be honest, I was considering a TAK over an RC-4 simply because I have very large hands and it's about the same size blade with a larger handle.

Ontario also caters to the budget buyer, RAT Cutlery to the higher-end user. There is a place in the market for both companies.

Ontario doesn't agree with you.

Agreed. The practice of snuffing out smaller companies has become way too commonplace. Nissan.com is a good example.

If anyone has the right to use the RAT name and make RAT designs, it's RAT. If Jerry Busse licensed his designs to Ontario, would they sue him for putting "Busse" on his own knives?

IMHO Dravine is right... as are most of you. Keep up the pressure, keep up the process and remember that it is for the long haul. This is unlikely to be settled in a day or a week or even a month. I have been in a number of legal scrapes over the years as well as some conflicts with local government and the issues can often be solved by public exposure of the facts. If the lawyers want to sue... jump in... someone pays them. Those pockets run dry pretty quickly. Conducted properly a counter suit will pay off the defendants bills as well as provide a little fun money.... and just for giggles there is a statute in some jurisdictions that deals with Malicious prosecution... that one goes after the lawyers. I used it recently. Wonderful...

Meanwhile, the rubber meets the road at the bank. We are willing to contribute to Jeff's cause should it get to court. I recommend a PayPal account for Jeff and Mike so we can all donate what we can when we can. Instead of buying that blade from Ontario... drop a few bucks into Jeff's PayPal.

Ron

On the bright side, just from the # of posts here the last few days and the number of guys posting and lurking here, this is good publicity for RAT! ;) This Forum is BOOMING :D

Hey all - I'm a newbie. Usually I just lurk in the background trying to learn something from all of you. Well, I certainly learned a lot today! I followed a link from RAT CUTLERY to this forum and this thread.

You see, I need/want a new outdoor knife. I had narrowed my search down to an Ontario RAT-7 or a Ranger RD-7...5-6-inch blade is a little smaller than I wanted but 9-10-inch blades are just too large for someone my size to carry well. I also prefer a drop-point over clip-points....just my preference. As most of you already know these knives, you also know that Ranger Knives recently chaged their RD design from a drop-point to a clip-point. Sorry Justin, minus 1 point....but plus 1 point for 1/4-inch vice 3/16 blade thickness. Score still even....which to buy? What to do? Then I find the RAT CUTLERY site. Very nice designs...no 7-inch blades, but a plan for a 1/4-inch thick 5-inch blade in the future....maybe a 7-inch might come along sometime after that, if I'm lucky and there'e enough demand. Now what do I do? Three to choose from...RAT, RD, or RC.

You see, I'm an engineer. I'm use to comparing items, weighing plus' and minus'. If you don't know many engineers, we're an anal retentive lot. We beat things to death and still aren't always sure if we've made the right decision. But, as a good American consumer the solution is simple...buy two. Thank you Nick, you helped a lot. You eliminated Ontario for me.

Justin you'll be hearing from me sometime soon. Jeff and Mike, I'm watching you guys...you'll be hearing from me too. Best of luck to you. I'm pulling for you. So is everyone else here.

BTW - This is my first post ever on any forum. Thanks Nick - that's twice you've helped me.

HEY DANTOR - see what you started....thanks again for the invite.

Let me say right now, there is no finer man in the industry than Justin Gingrich. Ranger Knives are awesome and I am damn proud to call Justin a friend of mine. He is a fine example of how two "competing" knife companies can like the hell out of each other and survive. The same with Ethan Becker and Ron Hood. I will 100 percent endorse and help them sell anything they design or put their name on because I know it comes from experience and sweat equity - not from the theft of someone else's intellectual property and hard work. Hell, Ron Hood set the mark in the wilderness survival indusrty and has been ripped off far more times than we will ever be.

Support these guys. If you truly want to support RAT Cutlery then throw some of your buying power towards the guys like Justin, and not just with RAT Cutlery. Trust me, they are as concerned about their customer as we are. There is something to be said for the smaller man that's trying to keep his stuff American made and compete with the companies taking stuff overseas. SUPPORT THE ALL AMERICAN MADE KNIFE COMPANIES. If you want to truly make a statement for RAT Cutlery then supporting those American made small businesses will do it. It's our philosophy. It's what we're about. This is so much more than just knives. We believe in the little guy that takes his idea and builds something and then has to defend it by spending all the time/money equity he's put into building that product. We believe in the freedom loving patriot that values integrity more than money and power. This is much bigger than RAT Cutlery, guys. Much bigger.

Ontario doesn't agree with you.

Then they'll lose. There's plenty of other good guys out there to buy from. You just have to save $$ for a couple/few more weeks before buying. I'm tired of big business screwing the little guy.

You know, when RAT Cutlery got started I was surprised (pleasantly) that they were big enough to ALLOW Ontarios to keep calling their knives RATs. Now Ontario is trying to tell them to stop using their OWN NAME? If Ontario doesn't back down, then F- them. If they do back down, then fine.

+1 on supporting the other guys R.A.T. mentioned. Especially Ron Hood, you'll be doing yourself a favor by buying his videos and studying them.

Hey RAT - did you misunderstand my post? Did I mis-speak? I will be buying from Justin at Ranger. And soon. I have heard nothing but very highest praise about Justin. That's why I'll be buying directly from him. I'm looking forward to dealing directly with Justin and not just purchasing from a distributor.

I'll continue to watch product development at RAT CUTLERY waiting for your new products. I'm looking forward to acquiring a RC from when I can.

I understand that this is becoming somewhat heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back