Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

With the larger knives, it helps to have your thumbs under the lip of a counter or coffee table. You will be surprised how far your thumb studs will come off the frame of your Umnumzaan with moderate pressure.

GIilLo2.jpg

I don’t have a 31, but I’m guessing this whole “lock rock” issue may be a red-herring. I dunno. Seems like “old news” if anything. They all do it.

I dont think we should be calling it lockrock anymore. The blade tang isn't rocking against the lockbar. Call it lockbar flex, or something like that. I would love to see a destruction test like Cold Steel did years ago testing the different lock types. The 21 never did very well in the test, from what I recall.

I believe that CRK will make it right. It might not be a real issue. But, if enough people don't like it, they should figure out how to stop it from happening. Or go back to ti on steel.
Solid post right here. Probably the one that makes the most sense out of everything I've read. I saw the issue on the Fanpage on Facebook and viewed it more as flex than rock and couldn't in my wildest imagine come up with a circumstance where this would present as an issue in real world use, even if one were to try and abuse the knife. The only thing I could think of is similar to the cold steel test that destroyed the 21. I can't imagine I'll be hanging from my knife anytime soon.

The letter basically says it all and states this “lock rock” is normal. I find that concerning, especially when having other folders that have lock rock and ultimately fail. What people Can do if this is a concern is choose not to buy and just pass on the 31. CRK doesn’t care if some people buy or not, they have more than enough who will. Most who are probably not even on this forum...I would also not expect a CRK response on here as they have been very very few in all the years I have had them, going all the way back to when Chris was in charge. I was excited when I saw the one piece inlays, but was a deal killer when I seen the ceramic ball lockup as I have had issues with them in the past on CRK. That’s just a personal choice. I have enough 21’s to last me multiple lifetimes and then some. So I am good.

So if I were to take these posts seriously one should stick only to Chris Reeve designed knives, even though they have also had issues. o_O

With the larger knives, it helps to have your thumbs under the lip of a counter or coffee table. You will be surprised how far your thumb studs will come off the frame of your Umnumzaan with moderate pressure.

GIilLo2.jpg

I don’t have a 31, but I’m guessing this whole “lock rock” issue may be a red-herring. I dunno. Seems like “old news” if anything. They all do it.

I have to exert a large amount of pressure to get my Unum to budge. Built on March 17 of this year.

My small 31, built the next day, will budge with very light pressure and moves more than the umnumzaan.

There is definitely something slightly different about the 31’s in this regard. Still doesn’t bother me because i use my knives. I don’t tend to obsess over checking them.

I have to exert a large amount of pressure to get my Unum to budge. Built on March 17 of this year.

My small 31, built the next day, will budge with very light pressure and moves more than the umnumzaan.

There is definitely something slightly different about the 31’s in this regard. Still doesn’t bother me because i use my knives. I don’t tend to obsess over checking them.
yes, for sure this whole thing is subjective. I don’t have a 31 to compare to, but I would say, my 25, my eight 21s, my Regular, and my umnumzaan will all move with moderate pressure. Nothing crazy.

I am not bothered by this, at all. I only did this test after everyone saying the 31s had lock rock and the other models were all “bank vault”. It’s just not the case.

Why exactly are we doing pressure tests on the spine of a knife that’s entire purpose is for pressure on the edge?
Because clearly they will pass the “spinewhack” test.
Its the nature of framelocks...want a folding knife with no play? Buy a well executed lockback. :)

Just make sure that in all this “testing”, you dont wear a detent groove the wrong way. Haha. Open it the proper way, put cutting pressure on the edge, and let the natural detent groove help relieve the “rock & roll.”

What exactly is the issue? Can someone remind me?

Let me get this straight...the issue is “lockrock,” except what is being experienced is a force on the spine of the knife and is causing some lock flex. Most if not all other framelocks have this lockflex.
So basically the issue is that the new 31’s are prone to lockflex when using the dull side of the blade to cut something...just like every other framelock?

Just want to add that I received my small 31 inlay today and I’m more than satisfied!! Yea it has a slight “lock flex” or whatever it’s being called now but this think is smooth as butter and one of the best looking CRKs I’ve ever owned! This thing is definitely a keeper!!

Just want to add that I received my small 31 inlay today and I’m more than satisfied!! Yea it has a slight “lock flex” or whatever it’s being called now but this think is smooth as butter and one of the best looking CRKs I’ve ever owned! This thing is definitely a keeper!!
Look forward to joining the 31 club myself.

wohoo now you all ruined my day.
Fell in love with my Umnumzaan and did not get any "lockrock". Reminds me on "a Feature" i got used to from old lockbacks...and recently sent back a SOCOM elite (DID NEVAEVA expect that from what YouTubers Show) for lockrock (just another Story)
now i´ll see what my 3 is like cause it should be in the making and they shall ding me soon.
will Keep you updated. the less it moves, the better it is, just my case. Flex is something for springs...i know i know get a fixedblade you ,may say...

as mentioned, update follows, won´t be the end of the world ;-)

I'll Take it all back...watched JackG Hobbies on utube

And compared imideatly with my Zaan...just Never noticed and it has it too. But at a mini amount that i would Not find worth to ever mention. I worked and beat my Zaan a lot and just love it!!!

So this all seems to be a little BLOWN UP IMHO.
Changed to boomerang Damascus meanwhile...and cant wait for September to come.

Best greats weasy

So I got my Large Micarta 31 and mine has the movement...not too worried, but noticed that when i grip the knife hard the lockbar engages more, and the “lockflex” goes away.
To be honest, id rather not have this flex, and am tired right now, so will post again tomorrow with my other thoughts.

Just got my large 31 in hand and tried it. No different than my large 21s. I feel like this thread could have been made about any generation of the Sebenza.
Congratulations. Curious about your experience during/after breaking in. DM me or leave a comment on one of my videos if you find anything similar to what I experienced along the way. Stay well!

So this all seems to be a little BLOWN UP IMHO.
Changed to boomerang Damascus meanwhile...and cant wait for September to come.

Best greats weasy

I agree and I’m also thinking of getting a boomerang damascus 31. Is September when they are supposed to come out?

Back