Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Hey at least they recognize that it is an issue... That's a step up from being a feature... And maybe they will try and resolve it

Kinda... I was a little optimistic after reading it again.

here is what they actually said.

I apologize for not getting back to your other two emails. We had a meeting the day before the Stay-Home order was enacted, about the Sebenza 31 but we were unable to finalize how we would proceed with this.

Last edited:
Kinda... I was a little optimistic after reading it again.

here is what they actually said.

I apologize for not getting back to your other two emails. We had a meeting the day before the Stay-Home order was enacted, about the Sebenza 31 but we were unable to finalize how we would proceed with this.
They should use zoom conference video chats to continue meetings and discussions... It's pretty amazing what you can do from home nowadays!

The first thing they need is several examples of 31s that exhibit the movement. Then they can identify the cause and develop a solution.

The best thing anyone can do is that if they own a 31 that exhibits the problem they should return it. Either to the store it was purchased for a refund or contact CRK for further direction.

But given that it seems likely that the staff are now scattered and can't access their regular tools or work areas this will not be a quick fix situation.

The first thing they need is several examples of 31s that exhibit the movement. Then they can identify the cause and develop a solution.

The best thing anyone can do is that if they own a 31 that exhibits the problem they should return it. Either to the store it was purchased for a refund or contact CRK for further direction.

But given that it seems likely that the staff are now scattered and can't access their regular tools or work areas this will not be a quick fix situation.

In my opinion...rather than sending my brand new knife to CRK for it to sit around until they can get at it, Im gonna use mine...see if the issue goes away...I dont want to hear that there is a break in period from CRK.
If it still has the issues when they reopen and can check them out...I will send it in.
Shouldnt matter either way, there is a lifetime warranty yes?

Broken is broken, issues are issues. :)

In my opinion...rather than sending my brand new knife to CRK for it to sit around until they can get at it, Im gonna use mine...see if the issue goes away...I dont want to hear that there is a break in period from CRK.
If it still has the issues when they reopen and can check them out...I will send it in.
Shouldnt matter either way, there is a lifetime warranty yes?

Broken is broken, issues are issues. :)
That's fine.

It would seem that the issue is inconsistent across the run. If they can't find sufficient examples in the factory that exhibit the behavior then they won't be able to move forward to solve it.

That's fine.

It would seem that the issue is inconsistent across the run. If they can't find sufficient examples in the factory that exhibit the behavior then they won't be able to move forward to solve it.

I would agree.

But they arent in the factory. They are at home for who knows how long. So when they open, I will send mine in. :)
Right now, Im going to continue to us it because I have $850 CAN into this knife. A lot of money to be sitting around at CRK for who knows how long. ;)

I am also sure there is no shortages of 31’s with issues at CRK.
They did say this was brought up in prototyping phase and it was deemed acceptable. Maybe that was a bad decision.
Looking forward to hearing what else will be done, if anything.
As far as im concerned, I paid $850Can for a $300 ti framelock knife. Lol. ;)

This is all rather unfortunate. I have never been a believer in CRK's lock designs being superior to other companies, but I've always respected them as a company that commits unapologetically to important design tenants (simplicity, good tolerances and QC, large washers, durable and well made fasteners, good blade designs, hollow grinds, etc), and I was looking forward to picking up an bog inlaid 31 model with dual thumb studs someday for a special occasion. The new inlays in particular look amazing and probably help round out the slab handle design and make it more comfortable.

However, it doesn't sound to me like the 31 is a great ambassador of the brand, nor is it currently in a state where I'd be happy to shell out $500+ on one. I can't even imagine having to try to explain away to someone why a knife that expensive can have noticeable lockbar flex and pivot bushing/washer/stop pin tolerance issues when there are no shortage of cheaper knives that have no such issues. This is the same company that so many on Bladeforums touted for making knives with bank vault lockup and dead simple disassembly/reassembly. I don't believe an easy fix for the lockbar flex is going to be forthcoming, so I think I'll be skipping this and waiting for the 41.

This is all rather unfortunate. I have never been a believer in CRK's lock designs being superior to other companies, but I've always respected them as a company that commits unapologetically to important design tenants (simplicity, good tolerances and QC, large washers, durable and well made fasteners, good blade designs, hollow grinds, etc), and I was looking forward to picking up an bog inlaid 31 model with dual thumb studs someday for a special occasion. The new inlays in particular look amazing and probably help round out the slab handle design and make it more comfortable.

However, it doesn't sound to me like the 31 is a great ambassador of the brand, nor is it currently in a state where I'd be happy to shell out $500+ on one. I can't even imagine having to try to explain away to someone why a knife that expensive can have noticeable lockbar flex and pivot bushing/washer/stop pin tolerance issues when there are no shortage of cheaper knives that have no such issues. This is the same company that so many on Bladeforums touted for making knives with bank vault lockup and dead simple disassembly/reassembly. I don't believe an easy fix for the lockbar flex is going to be forthcoming, so I think I'll be skipping this and waiting for the 41.

I cancelled my preorder of Sebenza 31. I might order it later if they handle this problem. Don't really want to try my luck with something that would cost me over $700

The fact that there are a handful of flexy lockbars and a good number of perfectly fine 31s (I’m lumping the unreported in this group for the moment) makes this less a matter of design and more an issue of execution in production.

Umnumzaans and Inkosis all have the same lock build, so I’m pretty sure CRK will figure it out once it gets hands on the super flexy samples, as well as other out of tolerance builds.

The fact that there are a handful of flexy lockbars and a good number of perfectly fine 31s (I’m lumping the unreported in this group for the moment) makes this less a matter of design and more an issue of execution in production.

Umnumzaans and Inkosis all have the same lock build, so I’m pretty sure CRK will figure it out once it gets hands on the super flexy samples, as well as other out of tolerance builds.

How do we know the number of “perfectly good” 31’s vs. the number of “flexy ones?

ETA: I do agree with it being an execution in production, but I also think the lockbar and blade is too thin for the detent ball.
I feel like if someone wants the “upgrades” of an inkosi, buy an inkosi.
If you want “bank vault” lockup, buy a Sebenza. This is no longer the case, as the new Sebenza 31 is more of a Inkosi 31 with Sebenza shape.

Last edited:
I don't know what to believe when people say they don't have the lockflex. Some prominent people have said it, and it really makes me question wtf is going on. So much so that I have another 31 incoming. A large natural. I haven't seen anyone reporting issues with the naturals. But it's weird even saying that. ALL of them should be exhibiting this issue to some degree. It should be interesting to compare to my large black 31 that has flex.

Back