Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

After a month or so of usage with lots of opens/closes, my 31 lock flex is actually better than when it was new. It's still there, but is much less now. Must be the tiny little track thats being created.

Unfortunately, my 31 still has side/side blade play, and up/down play with just my fingers.
I do not do the table test as it is too much force being applied in my opinion.

Sebenza 21’s have lock flex, but I would need the table to actually physically see and feel it on mine, which I refuse to do because that is pointless. Therefore 21’s have “bank vault” lockup.

This up/down play (a lot or a teensy eensy weensy bit) on the new 31 is not “bank vault”. Not even close.

So far the new “Inkosi 31” is a failure in my books.

Sebenza 21’s have lock flex, but I would need the table to actually physically see and feel it on mine, which I refuse to do because that is pointless. Therefore 21’s have “bank vault” lockup.

Yupp, you really need some force to see/feel it.

I remember that was one of my prides with the Sebenza 21 when I first got it. I opened it and handed it to a friend or family member and asked them to wiggle it and feel for play. The responce was allways great: "Wow, it feels like a fixed blade!"

Most guys were pretty impressed and took a another closer look at the beautiful piece in their hands.

wohoo now you all ruined my day.
Fell in love with my Umnumzaan and did not get any "lockrock". Reminds me on "a Feature" i got used to from old lockbacks...and recently sent back a SOCOM elite (DID NEVAEVA expect that from what YouTubers Show) for lockrock (just another Story)
now i´ll see what my 3 is like cause it should be in the making and they shall ding me soon.
will Keep you updated. the less it moves, the better it is, just my case. Flex is something for springs...i know i know get a fixedblade you ,may say...

as mentioned, update follows, won´t be the end of the world ;-)

What issue did you have with your Socom? I was looking at purchasing one.

There seems to be a lot of reiteration of the same observations here, to the point where I want to scream “OK I get it already” at my phone. Those that presently hate their 31s, will likely always hate their 31s. Some will come around, some won’t. CRK may launch some damage control, but likely not. They generally don’t.

I was not here for the Umnumzaan launch, but hear rumours of worries over deep lockup and the need for a special tool.

I was around for this:

What did CRK do to address the Cold Steel panic? Nothing. Now we are all sitting here talking about our rock-solid 21s.

My point being, if you think a “cure” is on its way for your individual issues with how much you like your Sebenza 31, it probably isn’t.

I am open to being wrong about this, but would be surprised if we see a recall or redesign. I think the knife, as it is, will have it’s fans and detractors, just like every other CRK.

I look forward to picking one up, so I can figure out for myself if a love it or hate it.

So now that Im home, I could finally check all the 31’s hardware to make sure that a loose pivot screw isnt causing the side/side play...and on check, all screws tight. As in tight.

This dang 31 is wigglier than a happy labrador’s tail. Come on CRK! Open up so you can fix this! Lol.

There seems to be a lot of reiteration of the same observations here, to the point where I want to scream “OK I get it already” at my phone. Those that presently hate their 31s, will likely always hate their 31s. Some will come around, some won’t. CRK may launch some damage control, but likely not. They generally don’t.

I was not here for the Umnumzaan launch, but hear rumours of worries over deep lockup and the need for a special tool.

I was around for this:

what did CRK do to address the panic? Nothing. Now we are all sitting here talking about our rock-solid 21s.

My point being, if you think a “cure” is on its way for your individual issues with how much you like your Sebenza 31, it probably isn’t.

I am open to being wrong about this, but would be surprised if we see a recall or redesign. I think the knife, as it is, will have it’s fans and detractors, just like every other CRK.

I look forward to picking one up, so I can figure out for myself if a love it or hate it.

I dont think that screaming at your phone will help...but not reading this thread might. ;)

Hoping you get one soon...hope its rock solid.
So far none are...they are solid as a inkosi lockup from what I have read.
There is a reason I dont own an Inkosi, and unfortunately now there is a reason not to own the sebenza 31.

The Sebenza 21 is now discontinued, so now those of us who like the “bank vault” lockup have no reason to buy new CRK’s.

Looks like secondary market for sebenza lockup lovers, but in all seriousness, what push is there for me to buy new CRK’s.

Tell me the positives of the 31.

Also, my 31 is lightly used, if you are interested in buying one.

So now that Im home, I could finally check all the 31’s hardware to make sure that a loose pivot screw isnt causing the side/side play...and on check, all screws tight. As in tight.

This dang 31 is wigglier than a happy labrador’s tail. Come on CRK! Open up so you can fix this! Lol.

If you need me to loan you a pocket knife while the global pandemic plays out, let me know.

Will it be a 31?
You know, it’s OK for you not to like the model. I don’t begrudge you that. If you have a defective knife, which it may be, then I hope CRK takes care of it, as I’m sure they will.

However, there is a huge difference between having unfortunately purchased a defective 31 knife that slipped past QC, and the entire 31 model being a “total fail”. We don’t and can’t know which situation is yours right now, and we won’t until the helpful people at CRK are allowed to return to work by their government.

So maybe give the speculation a rest until we have a definitive answer?

Stay well.

What did CRK do to address the Cold Steel panic? Nothing.

That test was BULL:poop:SHIT.

Tim has already said they are looking into it. It certainly will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'll be really surpriced and baffled if it's nothing at all.

You know, it’s OK for you not to like the model. I don’t begrudge you that. If you have a defective knife, which it may be, then I hope CRK takes care of it, as I’m sure they will.

However, there is a huge difference between having unfortunately purchased a defective 31 knife that slipped past QC, and the entire 31 model being a “total fail”. We don’t and can’t know which situation is yours right now, and we won’t until the helpful people at CRK are allowed to return to work by their government.

So maybe give the speculation a rest until we have a definitive answer?

Stay well.

First, I love the look of the 31. Hate the lock on the Inkosi. You are right I am allowed to dislike any model I want to.
I had the same outlook as you when I first posted in the thread. When my 31 arrived, I had to eat my words and apologize.

Secondly, you are assuming I dont know how framelocks work. Speculation is part of a solution. Im not a sit by the sidelines and let other people figure out the problem kind of guy. If this thread bothers you this much. Stop reading it. Easy peasy.

Im currently using my 31, to see if, as other people claim, my ceramic ball make a “track” :/ and cleans up this blade sloppiness. What is wrong with that?

Why can I not post my findings?

Mine isnt the only 31 with issues. This thread proves it.

A good friend if mine who owns a knife store here in Canada, just send another PJ 31 with a terribly off center blade back to CRK. I will stand by my assessment.

CRK had the issues brought up in the prototyping phase and someone deemed them acceptable. Im gonna go ahead and re-say that that was a bad decision. Premature release...just like the Impinda.

I love my 21’s, but Im not gonna give CRK praises and a pass just because of the old line of knives being solid.

Thank you for hoping CRK takes care of me and my knife. I dont expect less from them. They have always been good to me.

Stay healthy :)

Luckily I have a CRK with no lock rock or blade play until this gets solved ;)

8EOCunT.jpg

FWIW, just as another data point, and not saying others don’t have issues...

I recently bought a couple new 21s and a large and small 31 as well.

Sitting here comparing them side by side, I don’t really notice any difference in blade play / lockup. All 4 feel basically the same to me (no movement any direction). I have not done the push down on the spine on a table test mentioned early on and probably won’t because that isn’t something I would be concerned with in real use.

The main difference I notice between them is that it seems much easier to get past the detent on the 31s with basically no break in.

If it matters, the ceramic ball seems to be hitting at about 60-70% on both of mine.

There is a good chance I’m also not as picky as others since I have a large Inkosi that never bothered me either.

FWIW, just as another data point, and not saying others don’t have issues...

I recently bought a couple new 21s and a large and small 31 as well.

Sitting here comparing them side by side, I don’t really notice any difference in blade play / lockup. All 4 feel basically the same to me (no movement any direction). I have not done the push down on the spine on a table test mentioned early on and probably won’t because that isn’t something I would be concerned with in real use.

The main difference I notice between them is that it seems much easier to get past the detent on the 31s with basically no break in.

If it matters, the ceramic ball seems to be hitting at about 60-70% on both of mine.

There is a good chance I’m also not as picky as others since I have a large Inkosi that never bothered me either.

Glad to hear yours are good! Awesome.

Reactions: 353
First, I love the look of the 31. Hate the lock on the Inkosi. You are right I am allowed to dislike any model I want to.
I had the same outlook as you when I first posted in the thread. When my 31 arrived, I had to eat my words and apologize.

Secondly, you are assuming I dont know how framelocks work. Speculation is part of a solution. Im not a sit by the sidelines and let other people figure out the problem kind of guy. If this thread bothers you this much. Stop reading it. Easy peasy.

Im currently using my 31, to see if, as other people claim, my ceramic ball make a “track” :/ and cleans up this blade sloppiness. What is wrong with that?

Why can I not post my findings?

Mine isnt the only 31 with issues. This thread proves it.

A good friend if mine who owns a knife store here in Canada, just send another PJ 31 with a terribly off center blade back to CRK. I will stand by my assessment.

CRK had the issues brought up in the prototyping phase and someone deemed them acceptable. Im gonna go ahead and re-say that that was a bad decision. Premature release...just like the Impinda.

I love my 21’s, but Im not gonna give CRK praises and a pass just because of the old line of knives being solid.

Thank you for hoping CRK takes care of me and my knife. I dont expect less from them. They have always been good to me.

Stay healthy :)

Please keep posting your findings and updates.

As a potential 31(small) buyer I'm not very interested in ponying out 500$ to "check out" if my knife has the Sebenza build quality we all know and cherish.

:cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back