• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Seller beware - Extrabaconplease - Luke Oudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
BenR.T. BenR.T. make sure you film the opening of the package from down under. Having a witness(es) present wouldn't hurt. Or don't open it until PayPal appeals are exhausted. It doesn't matter if Australia's return laws are different. If PayPal contract doesn't mention it, they can't use it as a defense for their actions in opposition of their "custom/handmade return policy". That being said, I've never read the entire TOS. I think you should certainly appeal. Hope this works out in your favor.

Thanks guys.

As messed up as the situation is, I have to say that I have been very fortunate in my online dealings. And 99.9% of my transactions with paypal have been flawless.
The only time they mess up it seems, is when they get lied to.

If I get the knife back, then I'm over it. I will be out the original shipping to Australia and will sell the knife. Probably at a steep discount to one of you fine fellows.

It's not worth wasting anymore breath or time on him. The good folks on this forum are still here and making honest transactions all day, everyday.

Thanks for the support everyone.

While it's hard to stop young punks from running roughshod through the internet, there are ways to control your paypal account. For Paypal, I use only one special checking account, with zero overdraft protection, and a debit card, also with zero overdraft. When money goes in, I transfer it to savings. There is no money for paypal to freeze. Since I'm honest, I would still resolve any issues with a buyer, but not by letting paypal drag me through the coals.
If there is no money in your account to freeze Paypal will then freeze any new payments received until they hold the full amount of the transaction in question so basically the only way out is to then stop using Paypal which is tough if you are in business

If there is no money in your account to freeze Paypal will then freeze any new payments received until they hold the full amount of the transaction in question so basically the only way out is to then stop using Paypal which is tough if you are in business
I agree that would be the logical progression. I wouldn't want to be dependent on paypal for my business, but I understand that many are. There are few good alternatives for internet transactions.

Ben, you have handled this with honestly, it's a shame the other party does not adhere to the same principals and the company mentoring both of your actions has come to this conclusion. I for one would be willing to purchase the knife in question because I know your skills are worth it. As for payment, I don't have PP, so would you take a USPS MO? Best Martin

You are an absolute gentleman Martin and I’m going to give you a huge :thumbsup:
Joe

Ben, you have handled this with honestly, it's a shame the other party does not adhere to the same principals and the company mentoring both of your actions has come to this conclusion. I for one would be willing to purchase the knife in question because I know your skills are worth it. As for payment, I don't have PP, so would you take a USPS MO? Best Martin

I would love to use an alternative. What have you used since firing Paypal?

Perhaps someone should start a GBU on Paypal (or has that been done already?). I know I've seen an alternative or two mentioned, but Paypal is the default for so many people...it makes it a little hard to switch it seems. Or maybe we're just so accustomed to "having it now" it would seem too painful to go back to check or money orders. But surely there is some worthy competition out there for electronic transactions (?).

Also, Ben, man... I can only imagine your frustration! What a huge waste of time and energy. Such a distraction to pull you away from making a living. Hope this works out well in the end for you sir.

I use USPS Money Orders. So far, all deals where this was acceptable to seller have worked A-OK. All knives as described and shipped promptly, but I'm careful - and a very unwilling victim. As I am retired, I would go anywhere to prosecute if it came to that.

Where the seller will not take the MO, I figure I can't buy 'em all anywho. Ditto for eBay sellers who will not take anything but PP. Saved me some money. ;) Only knives. :p

As for a thread in GBU, so many are wed to ePrey (world's largest counterfeit market) and PP (Like the IRS, here to help you.), that it can get hostile quickly.

I use USPS Money Orders. So far, all deals where this was acceptable to seller have worked A-OK. All knives as described and shipped promptly, but I'm careful - and a very unwilling victim. As I am retired, I would go anywhere to prosecute if it came to that.

Where the seller will not take the MO, I figure I can't buy 'em all anywho. Ditto for eBay sellers who will not take anything but PP. Saved me some money. ;) Only knives. :p

As for a thread in GBU, so many are wed to ePrey (world's largest counterfeit market) and PP (Like the IRS, here to help you.), that it can get hostile quickly.
I do the same. I use Postal MO's and so far so good. Most guys will take them. It might be a hassle, but.....

Stopped using PayPal a year ago, and I'm just a buyer. But it ticked me off how arbitrary and arrogant they are. Virtually no investigation, less logic, but a big "Screw you!" to the clear victims. Yet so many sellers say "PayPal only" with no clue what's what when it comes to nut cutting time.

Even as a buyer I had to go around them to my credit card company more than once. Like the time the "excellent" Scout pattern with "good snap" tuned out to have all the tools rusted solid and PP told me "You and your piles of 100% feedback over ten years lose. The item was delivered." Not really. Citibank jerked the rug out from under that in gig time.

Then someone, eBay? PayPal?, established a PayPal account for me without my knowledge. Naughty, naughty. A violation of federal banking law. (See Wells Fargo fiasco.) Quick backtrack by ePrey and PP. They so love willing victims - like muggers like unarmed victims.
Ditto here and they did some naughtiness and they are still calling me trying to collect. Robo called a few times a week.

Hope everything get's back to normal for you Ben and I'm sorry to hear about this situation with said member doing you this way. There's Karma coming for sure and it goes both ways.

But as a buyer, doesn't Paypal offer you at least some sort of protection whereas you have none with a MO?

Hope everything get's back to normal for you Ben and I'm sorry to hear about this situation with said member doing you this way. There's Karma coming for sure and it goes both ways.

Agree. Ben, do you have any further update? Is this finalized then?

PayPal offers better protection, until, as for me twice, they offer none. Even then, if you pay PP with credit card, you have protection.

1. Seller measured "length" of knife around its circumference. I was ruled against. Had to use credit card to reverse payment.

2. "Excellent" scout pattern was well-rusted. PP said I got it so I lost. Credit card solution again.

So far, and thirteen times in total, I have correctly measured my seller. Great deals - better than some big brand companies (where I used CCs.). But I only buy from veteran members at two forums - members who do more than just sell and have extensive positive records. And if the knife does not arrive and I think I'm being stiffed, I plan to pursue a Mail Fraud complaint and to be at their local PD filing theft by deception charges. Willing victims encourage the riffraff. I'm retired. Might as well see the country.

In six of the deals, the sellers mailed before my MO arrived.

We don't always read people right, but that's life. About eBay and PayPal there is no mistake.

I

Last edited:
I did one deal here with a USPS MO with Gary G. He asked if I was ok with it. I agreed and he sent the knife before I went to the post office.
I’ve bought quite a few knives here and only had one very small issue.
Joe

It's not worth wasting anymore breath or time on him. The good folks on this forum are still here and making honest transactions all day, everyday.

agreed, but let me just say that this Luke character got my back up in the very early days of his time here on BF. Now that I've seen all this go down, my estimation is that he's a loser and a POS. That is all.

Agree. Ben, do you have any further update? Is this finalized then?

I have the knife back. Paypal put the case back on hold because I asked they review all of the evidence, which they clearly did not before.
I got several nasty emails from Luke when I asked if he was planning on returning the knife, but I am done dealing with him. He has shown his true colors.
I have stated nothing but the facts about how it went down. That's what this forum is for. If you have good character and play by the rules, everyone gets along fine. You won't last long here or anywhere else if you handle business in the manner he did.

You guys are right, a buyer doesn't get the same protection with a MO as they do with PP. But as a seller, my reputation is really important. I haven't and I don't lie or screw people over. A business rep is everything. I plan on keeping my business and my name above the boards.

Ben, I just went through this thread and I must write my experience. I posted here 3 knives for sale. Bacon bought one of them. Then he wrote me if he can change his decision and buy another knife from me. He ordered two knives in elmax for about 550 bucks. He payed, I made knives. After receiving them he wrote me that he is unsatisfied, ´cause knives have stains on surface (surprisingly ;)), sharp edges, burrs... I asked for photos. After 2 days he send me some unfocused video and wanted to fully refund him. I did not want to deal with him, so I told him that I´ll refund him, but he must wait, because I do not have enough funds to send him. He agreed and later, despite of it he opened claim through paypal and they froze my PP account. Since today I do not have any knife returned from australia, any tracking info... After one month....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back