• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Seller beware - Extrabaconplease - Luke Oudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had positive interactions with Ben and also with Luke. Hate to see it go down this way but, Ben, I understand your perspective.

I did something very similar to what Luke did some time ago and got burned by it. Different circumstances, different foundation of motive, different players, and when I understood how it looked from afar I canceled my claim and decided I would rather not be perceived in this way even if I lost out. There are always two sides, and as bad as this situation is I think we should avoid writing off Bacon. After all, he did send the knife back, and the amount of money while not insignificant is also not worth hanging him over.

In this case, a pattern of behavior is emerging which is worrisome. I hope he learns from this and also that other folks learn how much it hurts a business when a PayPal claim is started. PayPal does not tell you "by the way, your claim will shut down their ability to receive funds." But Bacon did not lobby to shut down Ben's payments. He just filed a claim. Resolution of that claim should be handled with PayPal as an independent moderator between two parties. I will add that I hope it is eventually resolved in Ben's favor.

To be clear, this sucks for Ben and I understand why. But if we could refrain from deep personal insults to Bacon I think it would reflect well on our community. His actions here and his pattern of actions are deeply problematic. People do grow, however, and we have not heard his side or what the deal is. Looks like a sweet knife - I hope it finds its forever home.

I have had positive interactions with Ben and also with Luke. Hate to see it go down this way but, Ben, I understand your perspective.

I did something very similar to what Luke did some time ago and got burned by it. Different circumstances, different foundation of motive, different players, and when I understood how it looked from afar I canceled my claim and decided I would rather not be perceived in this way even if I lost out. There are always two sides, and as bad as this situation is I think we should avoid writing off Bacon. After all, he did send the knife back, and the amount of money while not insignificant is also not worth hanging him over.

In this case, a pattern of behavior is emerging which is worrisome. I hope he learns from this and also that other folks learn how much it hurts a business when a PayPal claim is started. PayPal does not tell you "by the way, your claim will shut down their ability to receive funds." But Bacon did not lobby to shut down Ben's payments. He just filed a claim. Resolution of that claim should be handled with PayPal as an independent moderator between two parties. I will add that I hope it is eventually resolved in Ben's favor.

To be clear, this sucks for Ben and I understand why. But if we could refrain from deep personal insults to Bacon I think it would reflect well on our community. His actions here and his pattern of actions are deeply problematic. People do grow, however, and we have not heard his side or what the deal is. Looks like a sweet knife - I hope it finds its forever home.
Sorry but this is bs. Defending this guy in anyway is wrong, as has been shown with the community giving him the plank.

I understand your perspective. He did not steal anything. At the end of the day, he returned a (presumably) new knife and sent it back on his own dime for a refund. He behaved questionably in between. But the facts of the matter seem to indicate that both parties came to a state where they have equal value, if the knife is considered a liquid asset, which it should be given the quality and the skills of this maker. The deeper issue, to me, is Ben's vulnerability to PayPal's overly eager buyer protection policies. This would be a non-issue if his payment processor did not encumber his business this way.

Last edited:

All due to respect to you sir, but no, Bacon can screw off. His actions reflect far more poorly on the knife community than any insults he may receive from the peanut gallery.

1. He was on BF while this ordeal was going down, so he had plenty of chances to give his point of view and explain/defend his actions yet he chose not to.
2. It is clear as day that he tried to sell the knives as new after Ben refused to buy them back . Then after that didn't work he put a fraudulent claim through PayPal that there were not as described. Each decision he made was extremely poor form and not how a responsible adult handles their transactions.
3. This is not an isolated incident. @bearpaw knives's transaction mirrors Ben's to a "T" yet, he is worse off as he is still out the knife after a month.
There was a thread back in August where he tried to pull the same thing that he claims these gentleman did and handled that very poorly. That one has since been resolved, but if I were a betting man, I'd easily put a Benjamin up that these are not the first times that he's pulled these types of shenanigans before. Pure speculation of course, but "fish gotta swim you know what I'm sayin".

I'm all for giving people second chances and allowing them the opportunity to correct their errors but this kid did not even make an effort to do that. Good luck to him in life, but if he doesn't change and grow life/karma will kick him square in the teeth. Hopefully just figuratively, but if you prey on others you'll eventually get what's coming to you.

The fact you yourself stated is exactly why he should be banned permanately and not handled with kid gloves ...this isn't a one time issue it's a pattern ... and he has learned nothing ...yes people deserve second chances but it's on him to prove his trustworthiness ... not on members to have to worry and treat him with kid gloves at the risk of getting screwed over.

And the damage done to Ben just with having to waste his time and have a PayPal account frozen is crossing even more lines. There is no place for that ... not on these forums ... not in life.

Last edited:
Maybe if it was a one time thing AND he posted a response to this debacle?????? Maybe he’d get a second chance.
But this is not an isolated incident with him.
He has proven himself to be a scammer.......period.
I say good riddance and I hope he stays gone.
Joe

PS.....really hoping the guys dealing with this piece of garbage get made whole.

Silver lining - someone is going to get a great knife from Ben. I have a few pieces from him and they are truly excellent.

The subject of this thread was permanently banned a month ago.
There is no point in further discussion.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back