• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Seller beware - Extrabaconplease - Luke Oudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
For God’s sake. Ben is one of the most respected makers on this forum. Absolutely unbelievable. Hope this works out in your favor, as it ought to. Shit like this, just makes people suspect everyone they do business with, as a seller or a buyer.
Thanks, Neal

BenR.T. BenR.T.

Ben it might just be time to start invoicing custom handmade knives with that in the title of each invoice sent with PayPal.

No more just pay it, invoice them first.

Last edited:
I hate to read the results this came to. But I believe AVigil is right there is a section on that ... hopefully between that and filing an appeal will get this set straight with the right outcome.

Hang in there Ben ... I think you're well enough respected here if it would help at all I know many on here would stand behind you.

Just got an email saying the item was returned and his money refunded.

He supposedly shipped it last night. He is in Australia. I am in Oregon. WTH.

I'm sick of this garbage.

Call paypal! They're supposed to at least have it get back to you before they refund.

Last edited:
I called. They said they shouldn't have filed the case because it's a custom/handmade item. But because Australia has different return laws, they did.

I can't do anything now until I do or don't get the knife back. So 21 days.

Looks like I will likely be cutting all of my international PayPal sales.

Tracking number on that package? Mike

I had to call to get it. But yes.

Adam is correct. Buyer protection doesn't (shouldn't have) cover claims on custom handmade items.

wow ... I sure hope you get this straightened out and PayPal actually looks at what the facts are and you get made whole Ben.

I am more everyday getting reluctant to sell on here or use PayPal at all ... I hate to say both but the results of some of these recent posts with crazy thiefs and scam artists ... and PayPal actually siding with them ...

I personally can see and think there should be a lawsuit against PayPal to change some of the methods and requirements to start freezing accounts and returning money to people that have scammed or stolen from others ... and only gotten away with it because of PayPals blind policies ... which were made as a great protection for sales ... but now have so many con artists learning to use it against honest people to steal ... simple as that.

I have been sorting my collection and any duplicates or knives that just never made it into my use to put up for sale ... as I'm moving closer to my folks who both are battling cancer ... but I have put off selling them on here because of these horror stories ... I'm starting to think I'd be better off taking a bigger loss and just selling them in as a one lot collection ... this is so messed up.

Last edited:
Stopped using PayPal a year ago, and I'm just a buyer. But it ticked me off how arbitrary and arrogant they are. Virtually no investigation, less logic, but a big "Screw you!" to the clear victims. Yet so many sellers say "PayPal only" with no clue what's what when it comes to nut cutting time.

Even as a buyer I had to go around them to my credit card company more than once. Like the time the "excellent" Scout pattern with "good snap" tuned out to have all the tools rusted solid and PP told me "You and your piles of 100% feedback over ten years lose. The item was delivered." Not really. Citibank jerked the rug out from under that in gig time.

Then someone, eBay? PayPal?, established a PayPal account for me without my knowledge. Naughty, naughty. A violation of federal banking law. (See Wells Fargo fiasco.) Quick backtrack by ePrey and PP. They so love willing victims - like muggers like unarmed victims.

Stopped using PayPal a year ago, and I'm just a buyer. But it ticked me off how arbitrary and arrogant they are. Virtually no investigation, less logic, but a big "Screw you!" to the clear victims. Yet so many sellers say "PayPal only" with no clue what's what when it comes to nut cutting time.

Even as a buyer I had to go around them to my credit card company more than once. Like the time the "excellent" Scout pattern with "good snap" tuned out to have all the tools rusted solid and PP told me "You and your piles of 100% feedback over ten years lose. The item was delivered." Not really. Citibank jerked the rug out from under that in gig time.

Then someone, eBay? PayPal?, established a PayPal account for me without my knowledge. Naughty, naughty. A violation of federal banking law. (See Wells Fargo fiasco.) Quick backtrack by ePrey and PP. They so love willing victims - like muggers like unarmed victims.

I would love to use an alternative. What have you used since firing Paypal?

Perhaps someone should start a GBU on Paypal (or has that been done already?). I know I've seen an alternative or two mentioned, but Paypal is the default for so many people...it makes it a little hard to switch it seems. Or maybe we're just so accustomed to "having it now" it would seem too painful to go back to check or money orders. But surely there is some worthy competition out there for electronic transactions (?).

Also, Ben, man... I can only imagine your frustration! What a huge waste of time and energy. Such a distraction to pull you away from making a living. Hope this works out well in the end for you sir.

Last edited:
Looks like I will likely be cutting all of my international PayPal sales.

I am very sorry to hear that Ben, but I understand completely.
It's a shame that a scumbag like this has ruined it for the rest of your International customers.

I hope that you receive the knife soon and are made whole.:thumbsup:

While it's hard to stop young punks from running roughshod through the internet, there are ways to control your paypal account. For Paypal, I use only one special checking account, with zero overdraft protection, and a debit card, also with zero overdraft. When money goes in, I transfer it to savings. There is no money for paypal to freeze. Since I'm honest, I would still resolve any issues with a buyer, but not by letting paypal drag me through the coals.

Unbelievable. What a scum bag. Clearly the wrong combination of impulsive and entitled. Most young people who use Bladeforums are pretty cool, but occasionally you end up with one of these guys.

If you have to sell something to afford a knife, you can't afford it.

And if you can do the mental gymnastics to sell something to buy a knife, do it BEFORE you commit to putting down cash on an item.

It seems to me all he had to do was back out of whatever purchase put him in the red and own up to his mistake to whomever he was buying from.

Instead he feels entitled to his shiny new toy and doesn't care what he has to do to get it, feeling protected by his online anonymity (lol) and 10,000 miles.

Regardless of wether he gets away with this or not, please ban him from the forum.

Ben, as an admirer of your work I hope this works out in the end for you. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he sent you a box of rocks though.

I also wonder how many more instances like this and the fact that it's still common place to request friends and family on the exchange before people stop using paypal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back