• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Shipping issues with The Sun

I sent an SmF off to The Sun last February for mod work.
As of this March, apparently it was done.
I sent the $200 by PayPal, and it was supposed to have been mailed off by his wife as of March 16, 2011.
It isn't here, and I'm getting a tad concerned.
Here's some of the correspondance:

To: Mark
Sent: April 5, 2011 3:07:18 PM

Not yet, they told mr to give it a week. They said that there's nothing they can do unless they can't find the package, then it will be traced. If they don't find it, then I'll have to file an insurance claim. I insured it for $450 so we'll see what happens...that's worse case. USPS has only lost 2 packages out of 300 or so, so I think it will come out ok.

Jeff Carte
Owner
Karg Knives

On Apr 5, 2011, at 13:14, Mark wrote:

Hey there.
Just wondering if the USPS has had any success tracing the package yet.

Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Initiating a trace
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 22:58:50 -0500
To: mark

Right now it's just a waiting game. They are trying to locate the package through Customs at this point.
I'll let you know as soon as i find anything out.

Thank you, and I'll make sure this gets sorted out.

Jeff Carte
Owner
Karg Knives

On Apr 2, 2011, at 14:36, Mark wrote:

Checking what the progress is.

Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Initiating a trace
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:28:36 -0500

so far, I’ve filed it online and have not received a response yet, but I’m also going to go into the PO and do the same thing. I’ve got all the paperwork already done and submitted, just waiting on a response right now.

Jeff

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:20 PM
To: jeff
Subject: RE: Initiating a trace

Did they say how long the trace would take to get results?

Mark

> Subject: Re: Initiating a trace
> From: jeff
> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:08:06 -0500
>
> I will do that first thing in the morning!!! I hope to goodness it's just running late!!!
>
> Jeff Carte
> Owner
> Karg Knives
>
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 17:08, Mark wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> > The SmF still has not arrived, and USPS said that it has to be the sender who initiates a trace.
> > They had said that a trace could be started as early as last Friday, but I gave a few more days to see if it showed up.
> > Also, when I attempt to track the package, it comes up merely as "electronic shipping info received", which leads me to believe that the service used for sending does not support tracking info.
> > Anyways, if you can initiate a trace with the USPS, perhaps we can find out what gives.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Mark

Then today:

Sent: April 6, 2011 8:10:07 PM

The trace is already running. So far they don't have any info. It hasn't posted in the system, which leads ms to believe that it will either come back to me, or my PO. This has happened before and at this point would be the best case in my opinion. I'll let you know as soon as I have more info. I check on it everyday at my PO. Thank you, Jeff Carte

On Apr 6, 2011, at 18:53, Mark wrote:
> It is still not here.> It's been over 20 days, and the USPS said that a trace can be initiated after 10 days.> Thus, it is definitely time for a trace to be officially initiated.> Thanks.> > Mark

So, is the trace really running?
Should I wait even longer?
How long would YOU wait? There's 45 days to initiate a PayPal dispute through the resolution center.
I've been giving the benefit of the doubt all along, but I'm getting to an end of patience.

The same thing happened to me late last year. Sent money to have a custom scale made and never got it. Said it was shipped fed ex because he can't ship usps from his house (can't remember the reason). He did refund my money though, I can say that.

This guy has burned a boatload of people. There's a thread a mile long about his shenanigans over on the green forum where he plied most of his trade.

Damn, I hate seeing stuff like this. He has talent, that's for sure, but when you hear the same hame popping up all over the place from customers who did not get what they paid for, it's a shame. I hope he gets his stuff sorted out.

I would file the claim right now with Paypal as YOUR protection. If the item is lost and he really insured it then the USPS will reimburse him and you will have already received your refund from Paypal (assuming he has money in his account). If the item is lost and he didn't insure it then he is out of luck and you better hoped you filed the claim in time and received your refund. If the item eventually turns up at your address and the USPS cancels his insurance claim then you can always pay him what he is owed immediately for the work assuming he refunded you from Paypal for the knife and the work charges.

I paid him a couple hundred bucks for some scales in November. I don't mind waiting as long as there is communication, and that has always been super friendly and satisfactory with Jeff (both ways), he was in hospital apparently for a while but is out now.

He always said "not yet, excuses, excuses, I'll do them soon" which is ok with me, but I'd prefer an estimate, even if it's a year. However, he hasn't replied to my emails at all for a month or so now, I think my money is long gone at this point.

Super bummed, I'd love to get the scales one day. :(

Jeff seems to be commiting career suicide the way he treats people. Mega polite and friendly, but dishonest and deceitful. No one has posted anything bad on his Karg forum though, or if they have it's deleted.

Mark, if you can file with PP, I would 100% do it.

Good luck,

Steve.

He did some work for me last year(at a very very reasonabale price) but it did take him over a month to ship the knife back. He posted photos of the work he did in the Tinkering forum about 3 days after receiving my knife, so I expected to get it back shortly after. Told me 2 or 3 different times that it had shipped, but never offered any tracking info. I did receive it about 3 1/2 weeks later. On a side note, the work was not all that great. It looks ok, but there were quite a few flaws. I really cant complain as I had this work done on a beater knife and he barely broke even on materials, but I dont think I would ever use him again. He seemed to be a nice guy. Its a shame to hear he is a scammer.

I just got off the phone with the USPS, and they say that no trace has been initiated.
This is not looking very good with regards to getting my damn knife.
Even if I get my $200 back, I'm still out a $500 knife (well, $566 due to exchange rate back when it was gotten).
I'm not very pleased with this situation, not pleased at all.

I sent Jeff $135 PP last October for a XM 18 scale that was supposed to take 2 - 3 weeks. Endless excuses and told me it was ready to ship just before Christmas. Never shipped it so I asked for my money back. Twice he sent a PP cheque that bounced. Again more excuses.

I would be wary that your knives may or not have been shipped because he told me he wouldn't use USPS because of thefts at his end. He was only using FedEx to my knowledge.

I have written off my $ and good luck getting your stuff from this guy.

I'm giving it till this Friday, then the PayPal dispute begins.
Haven't had to do such a thing yet, but if there's no knife, and no results from the trace (which USPS has no record of), then it ain't showing up.
There's no way it would take 30 days to reach here or show up in the system.:(

Man, I have been dealing with him on JD. I bought a knife that was sold at the same time on eBay from him by mistake. He sent my money right back to me. I was getting ready to pay for a custom ZT 300 scale but now I'm concerned after reading these posts. :(

PayPal dispute started today.
We'll see if this gets any results (I ain't holding my breath though:().

I would wait pretty much indefinitely if only he would keep up communication. When that stops, it becomes a "ripped off" situation.

Sadly nothing I can do now :(

Jeff was banned from the USN.
I'm in this mess too although Jeff emailed yesterday and said my knives will be shipped to me today. I "want" to believe him. Good luck everyone!

Man, I was going to ship my Buck/Strider Tarani to him to be Pimped. I am so glad I found this thread.

Back