Should PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales?

Should the PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales here at Bladeforums?

• Yes, continue to allow it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
please how would you expect to enforce this ban?? the mods are over worked as it is in my view and now you want to put this on them too?? I think the person doing the deal needs to make up his own mind. but if you have another view then please tell me. I would love to here it.

The same way they inforced the talking in a sales thread ban. You should be able to figure out how that was done.
I said I would volunteer to do it for a short time until people got used to it. Don't really want to, but would do it for BF if asked.

It really doesn't affect me one bit though, as I never use the Gift option or buy from anyone asking for a PP fee.

I know the sales mods have a tough job as is, but this is very important I feel. Maybe a new temporary mod could be made to check just this one thing until people learn not to do it. I don't want to do it, but if no one else will do it I'll volunteer.

I honestly don't know if one man (moderator) can cover that job or not. But, if so, and Ken44 is willing...................... :thumbup:

Look, there's no way for us to actively police if people are using the gift method or not. We can put it in the rules as a buyer protection method, but if someone's stupid enough to do so anyhow, that's on them.

Look, there's no way for us to actively police if people are using the gift method or not. We can put it in the rules as a buyer protection method, but if someone's stupid enough to do so anyhow, that's on them.

Understood, and thanks for the post.

I think that's a good idea to put it in the rules as a buyer protection method. That will at least put it in their mind before they start to pay with the Gift option.

As stated theres no way to stop people using gift but it would be nice to see it against the rules to even post it in their sales threads. That way if someone does go against it and get screwed they can either make a thread that shows they went against the rule or they can just take the loss.

I'm sorry but I think it's very lame when people ask for that.

Does Best Buy charge you more if you use your CC? Of course not, even though they're charged a transaction fee when you use your CC. Just charge or price your item for what you want, don't play the PayPal gift game. In my opinion it looks greedy and unprofessional.

Just my $0.02.

I think it would be impossible for the Mods to regulate and enforce this if it were maid a forum rule. People should have common sense and use there judgment to the best of there ability when buying stuff off of forums. On a side note, this should be added to a sticky (using the PP gift option is frowned upon in this forum).

It wouldn't be possible to enforce what people discuss through email. But if it were against the rules to even ask for it in a sales thread it would cut down on a lot of people making the decision to use it.

Bumped because people are calling for a poll in another thread and starting a new poll would be kind of silly at this point...

I put no because if you are buying a product its not a gift. I think if a buyer doesnt want to cover the fees (I think the buyer should eat the fees for the use of paypall) then they should add fees into the cost of the item for sale.

Yes or No?

What say you?

We are adults right?? should be there a rule how you wipe your own behind too???
we all know you pay gift you take a chance, you want a caution sticker with that too?

I voted against a new policy. I'm not wearing rose colored safety glasses, I know this a private forum but; More Education, Less Rules. I'd like to see a short, single post sticky explaining the technical reasoning behind not using the gift option. I'm on board, but morality based judgement calls made by people I've never met have no bearing on my decision to do anything. I'd like the facts, please.

edit: also the wording of the poll is rather pointed isn't it? It might be better worded as:

Regulate?:
Do Not Regulate?:

As it stands now it sort of asks you if your an a-hole or not.

Last edited:
I voted against a new policy. I'm not wearing rose colored safety glasses, I know this a private forum but; More Education, Less Rules. I'd like to see a short, single post sticky explaining the technical reasoning behind not using the gift option. I'm on board, but morality based judgement calls made by people I've never met have no bearing on my decision to do anything. I'd like the facts, please.

edit: also the wording of the poll is rather pointed isn't it? It might be better worded as:

Regulate?:
Do Not Regulate?:

As it stands now it sort of asks you if your an a-hole or not.

I can do a sticky, let me see what I can come up with and run it by El Sparko. If he approves, we will see what happens moving forward. Now, let me quote what Spark said in this thread earlier:

This is already in the Exchange rules, but I will make it clearer and more inline with how Spark phrased it.

I say ban it. I have wanted to buy a few different knives on here and they wanted that or to add the paypal fees on top of their asking price so I passed on them. If they want to add the paypal fees to their asking price fine, but it leaves too much risk as far as getting hosed. I want my customers to trust me as far as getting what they paid for and if someone is asking for the gift option it is automatically a red flag to a potential scam, at least to me. If you want the buyer to pay paypal fees just add it in the asking price.

I voted NO because it was the better of the two answers. I think the site has done what it can in this regard, though, in that they've made note of the potential problem/"danger". Most members will never read it; but, for anybody that has a clue how it works, this should be a no-brainer.

I don't see the oversight a rule to be that problematic. Look at what happens when someone without a Gold membership (or higher) posts an item for sale on the exchange. They are quickly informed by at least one member that they are violating a rule of the exchange and the issue is often corrected without any moderator involvement. Certainly a rule stating that a seller can't solicit payment by paypal gift option on the exhange for goods could be handled for the most part in a similar fashion. Actual enforcement of the rule is, of course, a different matter but I would think that would involve a very small percentage of exchange sellers.

Most of the sellers here that ask for gift option payment are straight up guys. It's the few scoundrels that show up to rip people off by taking advantage of the absence of a rule that cause the problem. Having such a rule should attract less of that ilk to the exchange.

There is a bit more mod involvement than you may think. We get in like stealthy ninjas, send PMs requesting changes, merge threads, and remove discussions and leave before anyone knows we were even there. On occasion, we issue warnings and infractions like shuriken. Herding cats is a tough job. ;)

Back