Smoke Jumper

It was inevitable, the resellers have found it. $77.30 shipped on a BIN.

Just got my first Smoke Jumper and I love it. Very light yet solid feeling. The steel touched up very easily and took a very fine, polished edge when stropped on 2 micron CBN. Good stuff all around. Definitely in for another in a different color and steel.

I just ordered one today. Looking forward to this one being delivered.

Wrong thread. Placed on correct thread.

Nothing to see here. :D

My Smoke Jumper arrived a couple minutes ago.
I'm impressed. No blade wiggle, tight lockup, well centered blade.
It is going to take me a wee bit 'o time to get used to how heavy it is though.
I'm used to the 7.4 + ounces of the brass 'n wood 110.

It looks like black cherry to me :thumbsup: if you have time what was the process you used?
It was actually pretty easy! Black RIT dye from the grocery store, half a bottle mixed with hot water to fill a Pace Salsa jar. Per the directions, added a few drops of dawn dish soap and a little salt. I degreased the handle with rubbing alcohol and rinsed with water. Opened the knife and used the blade to stick the handle in the dye solution and stirred (not shaken :)). After 5 minutes I removed the knife and re-heated the dye solution in the microwave and then replaced the handle in the dye. The handle was in the dye for about 30 minutes to get the color I wanted. It’s slightly darker than it appears in the picture. Fun little project I’m sure I’ll try again some other time. Love to see some other people’s results!

It was actually pretty easy! Black RIT dye from the grocery store, half a bottle mixed with hot water to fill a Pace Salsa jar. Per the directions, added a few drops of dawn dish soap and a little salt. I degreased the handle with rubbing alcohol and rinsed with water. Opened the knife and used the blade to stick the handle in the dye solution and stirred (not shaken :)). After 5 minutes I removed the knife and re-heated the dye solution in the microwave and then replaced the handle in the dye. The handle was in the dye for about 30 minutes to get the color I wanted. It’s slightly darker than it appears in the picture. Fun little project I’m sure I’ll try again some other time. Love to see some other people’s results!
Very nice :thumbsup: I was thinking you might have used black dye to get the black cherry color. Do you think it would come out totally black if left in longer? Thanks for the info ;) I'am thinking I might give a green dye a try and try to get brown , if it comes out green even better :D but if it fails to know I could get black would be cool.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That comports with my memory as well.

I would still like to see some Buck knives produced with ATS-34 as I have several Buck knives with 154-CM and none with ATS-34.
I have several Buck knives in ATS-34 and they perform very well. It is my favorite steel, right behind BG-42. I'd buy more with ATS-34 if they were available.

I have several Buck knives in ATS-34 and they perform very well. It is my favorite steel, right behind BG-42. I'd buy more with ATS-34 if they were available.

IIRC, CPM154 is the particle metallurgy form of ATS-34 ...

Used the knife at work again, and had more rust pop up. Thankfully it cleans off pretty easily. It seems to be most prevalent along the spine. I’ve been working on smoothing our the machining marks to see if that makes a difference.

I’m starting to suspect it may be leftover particles from the manufacturing equipment. Mine looked a bit rougher out of the box than some of the others I’ve seen posted, leading me to believe that may be the case.

AE6AD268-51B2-4EDD-B80F-13D48DC7B4E2.jpeg
Used the knife at work again, and had more rust pop up. Thankfully it cleans off pretty easily. It seems to be most prevalent along the spine. I’ve been working on smoothing our the machining marks to see if that makes a difference.

I’m starting to suspect it may be leftover particles from the manufacturing equipment. Mine looked a bit rougher out of the box than some of the others I’ve seen posted, leading me to believe that may be the case.
StuntDouble, thanks for posting, looks like you are not the only one with rust. I found some on mine, but it was my own fault though. Recently dyed my handle and that included stripping any oil off of it and putting into a hot dye solution which included salt and leaving for a half hour, guess that was more than the stone washed blade could take! I could probably scrub it off, but it’s a working knife, ain’t worried about it.
Bottom lines is CPM 154 can rust under harsh conditions and I suspect stone wash finish may make it more susceptible. Please note I had no rusting with normal daily use.

OK, I caved. I need another knife like a hole in the head, but my 560 rebladed in BG-42 is my favorite large folder. I'm really looking forward to this one. Now all I have to do is sneak it past the wife ... wish me luck. :)

OK, I caved. I need another knife like a hole in the head, but my 560 rebladed in BG-42 is my favorite large folder. I'm really looking forward to this one. Now all I have to do is sneak it past the wife ... wish me luck. :)

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!!! :D John

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!!! :D John

Exactly. If she doesn't see the package arrive, she won't notice that it's an inch longer than my regular EDCs and bright red. Then, a month or two from now when she does notice, I can say "This thing? I've had it for ages." Nice that skblades takes Paypal, so it won't show up on a credit card. ;)

You could surprise her with a Smoke Jumper of her own ... or maybe a pair of shoes or a purse ... :)

Back