So I broke my Rat Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrap yard replaced a dogfather for me a few years back. Sorry to hear about your situation.

I had a Rat daddy LE and it was easily my favorite big bowie I ever owned. Thats a tough blade to replace.

I was just made aware of this thread. I wish I would've known about it sooner.

If you have a problem that you do not feel was handled fairly, please call me. (419) 923-6471 or email me at jerry@bussecombat.com and I will call you.

We will figure it out. . . .

I am not aware of any other manufacturer out there who has had a lifetime warranty, with the same level of coverage that we have, for anywhere near as long as ours. We have covered every knife that I have ever made for 33 years and counting.

Don't be confused by "knife companies" who claim "lifetime" warranties but DO NOT make their own knives. I have seen some companies, who believe it or not, when they switch manufacturers, claim that they are no longer responsible for any warranty claims. Clever huh?

Not us. We make our own knives and we cover our own knives. We do it in the fairest way possible and we are always open to suggestions.

Having your favorite knife fail is like losing your best friend. I don't take this lightly.

Give me the chance to make it right. If I'm not fair with you, then you can baste me on the forums. . .

Let's Drink!:thumbup:

Jerry:D

But look on the other hand I don't know how any reasonable policy could work. I'm a small business owner. They can't keep huge stocks of blanks around unsold.
Why can't they keep some stock materials on hand? Maybe just rent a storage unit, it's not a big bulky product or anything. Isn't that what companies like TOPS and others do when they offer a lifetime warranty? These Bussekin knives rarely break, so it shouldn't take a huge volume; heck, I would think you could easily keep enough blanks in storage to last for years, or hold back some finished blades for warranty purposes.

Like I said before, maybe they could consider stocking a more permanent line of a few "Classic Rats" (you know, like the top ten selling models of all time or whatever) which would help solve the warranty problem of the OP and others like him. Maybe the new Ratweiler is the start of something like this, who knows.

Well, that is a strong statement! I'm not a Busse guy but this makes me think I need to look more at their products.

The one question that has not been addressed here is:
how long can a customer expect for BKG to stock extra blanks on any given model? One year past production? Five years? Is there an average time that a customer can expect to truly have their knife replaced with the same model if damaged?

I posted this earlier, since we seem to have gotten the attention of the powers that be, can someone from BKG please reply to this question? Thanks :)

I was just made aware of this thread. I wish I would've known about it sooner.

If you have a problem that you do not feel was handled fairly, please call me. (419) 923-6471 or email me at jerry@bussecombat.com and I will call you.

We will figure it out. . . .

I am not aware of any other manufacturer out there who has had a lifetime warranty, with the same level of coverage that we have, for anywhere near as long as ours. We have covered every knife that I have ever made for 33 years and counting.

Don't be confused by "knife companies" who claim "lifetime" warranties but DO NOT make their own knives. I have seen some companies, who believe it or not, when they switch manufacturers, claim that they are no longer responsible for any warranty claims. Clever huh?

Not us. We make our own knives and we cover our own knives. We do it in the fairest way possible and we are always open to suggestions.

Having your favorite knife fail is like losing your best friend. I don't take this lightly.

Give me the chance to make it right. If I'm not fair with you, then you can baste me on the forums. . .

Let's Drink!:thumbup:

Jerry:D

Thank you Jerry. I will reach out to you tomorrow. I hope, if you've read my posts, that it's clear it was not my intention to just bash Busse Combat. I tried to remain as realistic and fair as possible. I did reach out to Busse long before I stated any disappointment on the forums. Ive been around here long enough to see people unfairly condemn something without giving you guys a chance. Thats not my intent. Youve hit the nail on the head. That Rat Daddy was like my 3rd son. An extension of my right arm. When it broke it was like learning Santa didnt exist and finding out youre adopted, all in one day. I dont own a single other knife even near that size... why would? Its a freakin Rat Daddy!!! Anyway, thanks again. I will reach out to you. I have (and had) no doubt that if I just reached someone by phone, that I'd have a happy outcome.

Your loyal customer,
Adam

Thank you Jerry. I will reach out to you tomorrow. I hope, if you've read my posts, that it's clear it was not my intention to just bash Busse Combat. I tried to remain as realistic and fair as possible. I did reach out to Busse long before I stated any disappointment on the forums. Ive been around here long enough to see people unfairly condemn something without giving you guys a chance. Thats not my intent. Youve hit the nail on the head. That Rat Daddy was like my 3rd son. An extension of my right arm. When it broke it was like learning Santa didnt exist and finding out youre adopted, all in one day. I dont own a single other knife even near that size... why would? Its a freakin Rat Daddy!!! Anyway, thanks again. I will reach out to you. I have (and had) no doubt that if I just reached someone by phone, that I'd have a happy outcome.

Your loyal customer,
Adam

Adam my friend,

Email me your phone number and I'll call you later today.

I don't have anyone in the main office on Saturday to answer phones.

Thanks,

Jerry

Adam my friend,

Email me your phone number and I'll call you later today.

I don't have anyone in the main office on Saturday to answer phones.

Thanks,

Jerry

I don't know any other company that would have their head honcho do what Jerry is doing right now ---- very classy guy and a very classy move. You rock Jerry!!! Two Big Thumbs Up Boss Man!

Very very cool of Jerry. Thanks boss. This thread makes me want to buy two of my favorites now

Wow, very disappointing. Busse's warranty sure is misleading. Far from the greatest warranty around as some fans like to claim. Not even in the same ballpark as ESEE's no questions asked unconditional replacement warranty, even for intentional damage. I even read of a case where someone used an ESSE to test bullet penetration and they replaced the blade no questions asked!

I think I heard Jerry claim that he's never had a case where their warranty left someone unhappy. They definitely can't claim that now.

At the very least you should have gotten that battle saw for free!
Have you used ESEE's warranty? It's not at all as unconditional as it claims. It turns out they only cover the blade, not the handles (more understandably, not the sheath either). But the handles are definitely part of the knife, and the warranty is definitely misleading in its current wording. Aside from that, in the little communication with them I've had they were condescending. That picture of the knife that was shot with various calibers is nothing more than a marketing tool.

I think the point is, no matter how "unconditional" or "bomb proof" a warranty is, it's just words. I think it's much better to make purchases based on the quality of the knife, and not to trust in a warranty.

This isn't a criticism of Busse or ESEE's knives, there's a reason they're both so popular. It's just my opinion on warranties.

I had a very cool conversation with the Man himself. Jerry IS cool personified. Needless to say, Jerry made it right. That's kinda why I requested a phone call in the first place. So thanks again sir. Your record remains intact.

Let's drink! :D

I had a very cool conversation with the Man himself. Jerry IS cool personified. Needless to say, Jerry made it right. That's kinda why I requested a phone call in the first place. So thanks again sir. Your record remains intact.

Let's drink! :D

Great to hear!!! :thumbup: Probably should have just contacted him directly in the first place.

Perfect. Just perfect! :thumbup: :thumbup: And yes, if this ever happens again, go straight to Jerry. Obviously he will ALWAYS make it right.

Perfect. Just perfect! :thumbup: :thumbup: And yes, if this ever happens again, go straight to Jerry. Obviously he will ALWAYS make it right.

I suppose I'd have to agree. Although I assumed going to Swamp Rat for a Swamp Rat issue was the proper course of action, ya know? I didn't want to go straight to the man, like he owed me something. I tried the proper channels first.

I'm sure if you ask Jerry, he'd probably rather not field every single call, every time some knuckle head does something stupid with their knife.

I suppose I'd have to agree. Although I assumed going to Swamp Rat for a Swamp Rat issue was the proper course of action, ya know? I didn't want to go straight to the man, like he owed me something. I tried the proper channels first.

No, I understand what you're saying.

I'm sure if you ask Jerry, he'd probably rather not field every single call, every time some knuckle head does something stupid with their knife.

Exactly. But at the same time, it's not like these knives break very often either. For minor issues, I think I'd follow the proper channels. But for catastrophic failure like you experienced, ring the Bossman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back