so.. the sebenza.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by aue123, Aug 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Today we have brands like Reate, Olamic, We , etc selling knives north of $300 , and we're still discussing the "worth" of a Sebenza ?

At inception and to this day, the Sebenza is a limited production , hand made knife, purchased once and meant to last a lifetime.
    It was intended to be a user for those who wanted an indestructible knife, easy to maintain, light weight and easy to carry.
    It's the Buck 110 of titanium framelocks.

If it doesn't fit your criteria, then it's not for you and not worth it.

I have folders from every major brand and I would trade any of them in multiples, for a CRK knife.

Sharp & Fiery, Ron Sabbagh and Quiet like this.
  2. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I'm a Danner man, myself!!

Ron Sabbagh likes this.
  3. Srtr

Srtr

Feb 9, 2016

there's a big difference between a lot of the "high end" knives people peddle these days vs a CRK.
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

I know which one I would choose.

Wurger190, Murphjd25 and Ron Sabbagh like this.
  4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Country of production is as valid a reason as any, but its really not the binary choice between Born in the USA and sticking it to the commies as it is made out to be anymore, not that it ever was.

Being that our phones, mid grade chips, computers, TVs, clothes, toys, toothbrushes, and the vast bobs and widgets fabricated to hold all of our crap together are made in China, choosing not to buy a Reate over a CRK is the equivalent of walking into a landfill, picking up a Pepsi can, and tossing it into a recycle bin with a satisfied "There..."

I'm not saying its wrong to purchase a CRK over a high end Chinese knife based on the origin of production. We all vote with our dollar. I just also know that President Xi is not hunched over his desk with menacing steeplefingers pressed to his lips glaring at a map of America (also made in China) with Idaho circled on it and nodding to himself, "Soon..."

There are tons of good reasons to choose a knife, and really no wrong one, but tilting at the windmill of globalization is way down the validity list, IMHO.

As someone who doesn't own a high end Chinese folder, it has nothing to do with where it was made and everything to do with me being a curmudgeon that wants to own what I couldn't have when I was younger, thus my pride of ownership with my CRK.

5. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    If durability justifies the cost, why buy a second Sebenza when one will last more than your lifetime? The reason must be that you just enjoy them and practicality is not the reason for your purchase. Will a CRK really last longer than 10 Kershaws or 25 Moras? I don't think so, but I'm one to talk. The only reason I spend more than $30 on a knife is because it makes me feel good, since the knife that actually gets the most use in a work day is the utility knife in my tool belt. You like your knives. I get that, so do I. But the kind of money we spend on these hand tools is not practical.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  6. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Unpopular view: My Sebenzas are currently my favorite fidget knives

7. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    CRK will always have value; look at what those regular sebenzas and early umnumzaans w the disk pivot are going for? Not to mention the 1 piece knives. There will never be a knife made in China that can do that.They are nice,and well made,i have a Reate crossroads, its an amazing knife, but no company in China has or will ever have a flagship model;a Sebenza, a spyderco military, an xm18-; a knife thats been around many years and improved. They just keep pumping out the next new thing,the next flash in the pan,untill the next new thing replaces it.Reate started doing it with the horizons,but that faded away,and is now following the rest of the herd.

8. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Do not be deceived, my friend. The truth has been withheld from us. I know this, the foil hat is a lie. Since I started wearing foil knickers, the voices have revealed to me that the conspiracy is real.

Steely_Gunz likes this.
  9. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Really? Mine doesn't flip worth a damn. I guess my Inkosi was made on a Friday afternoon, since its missing the tab on the blade. I guess the jumping will work, but man that tears up my thumb. Also, I took it apart...where the hell are the captured ball bearings? I think they just left in the shipping filler. Some sort of brownish foil.:D

In all seriousness, mine is too. If I want a fast knife, OTF autos work. Fun to play with and sport a solid "Twack" when they open. But the smoothness of PB washers and that satisfying click that sounds like a deadbolt turning when I open it makes my Inkosi my go to slow and methodical "thinking toy".

Sharp & Fiery and Kaizen1 like this.
  10. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I don’t know, but IME Sebenzas are extremely durable and age very gracefully with time and use.

If we’re talking about cost, “need,” etc., why do any of us on a knife forum need as many knives as ‘most’ of us seem to have? Many, many people point out the cost of CRK knives, but not so much the cost of other brands, many of which have models that are comparable in price to plain-jane CRKs. I’m sure there are many who accumulate literally dozens and dozens (in some cases, maybe even hundreds) of knives, who question why anyone would spend the money on a single CRK knife. Someone could also ask, “Why would anyone ‘need’ 10 Kershaws or 25 Moras?” This is not a judgment on anyone’s preferences or spending habits at all. The point is, of course it’s because people derive enjoyment from it, and enjoy trying out new things they are interested in. And there’s nothing wrong with that. If all everyone here bought and owned were the bare minimum of what we actually ‘needed’ in a knife for everyday use, there would hardly be a need for a knife discussion forum. They would be like my late dad, who bought a single pocketknife for his work, used it until it was sharpened down to almost nothing, discarded the remains and went out and bought another, and having no other interest in it beyond that.

Jim

JAB likes this.
  11. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Only one way to be sure, OP...

Good luck!

regularcarry.jpg

x20, BD_01, benchwarmer380 and 3 others like this.
  12. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Personally I wouldn't bother for a number of reasons, but if you're a light use kind of guy then it probably has a place in your pocket, if not your collection.

It's like a Rolex Submariner, you'll never take it diving, but to you it looks good on your wrist.

mrknife likes this.
  13. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    Dcdavis and benchwarmer380 like this.
  14. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
  15. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    Do you have anything that shows reasonable "hard" or "heavy" use with a folder?

16. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    No, I build movie sets, I can't take pics due to NDAs.

17. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    Just as good at what? At cutting things? Because if you think the Sebenza is the best at that the humble Opinel is gonna make you a very sad customer. CRK makes an excellent knife with incomparable tolerances, but folks that claim without qualifiers that it's better than every other knife are just as delusional as those that think it lacks something because it's not a 6" Cold Steel Stabbinator.

18. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    Convenient

19. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    It can take everything and more that a folding knife is intended to do. If not you are using the wrong tool for the job. It is by no means a delicate gentleman's knife that needs to be dedicated to light duty

20. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Go back to post 59; thats hard use in my book. And so much for the" they run s35vn on the soft side".

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.