so.. the sebenza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I wouldn't bother for a number of reasons, but if you're a light use kind of guy then it probably has a place in your pocket, if not your collection.

It's like a Rolex Submariner, you'll never take it diving, but to you it looks good on your wrist.

I think the comparison to a Rolex Sub is justified; however, not for the reasons you mention.

I have been wearing the same Rolex sub at least twice a week since 1978 (model 1680) and it still keeps time to within 2 sec/day. And yes...I've worn it diving, etc. Same can be said of my 1999 Sebenza.

Both get trips to "the spa" about every 5 years.

I think the comparison to a Rolex Sub is justified; however, not for the reasons you mention.

I have been wearing the same Rolex sub at least twice a week since 1978 (model 1680) and it still keeps time to within 2 sec/day. And yes...I've worn it diving, etc. Same can be said of my 1999 Sebenza.

Both get trips to "the spa" about every 5 years.
I think even expanding on that, like a Rolex there are alternatives that will cover every practical, useful aspect as well as a Sebenza. But, the alternatives lack the beauty and craftsmanship of either the Rolex or Sebenza.

I think if a pocket knife is purely a utility tool to you than a Sebenza simply isn't worth the money. It's not going to be a 'better' knife in any concrete, measurable sense of the word than a Spyderco PM2 or a CS American Lawman or many other worthy working tools. But I think to almost everyone that seeks out a forum for knife enthusiasts, knives are a bit more than that to us, and within that realm I think the extra quality, care, precision and craftsmanship put into CRK knives can very much justify the cost.

Personally I wouldn't bother for a number of reasons, but if you're a light use kind of guy then it probably has a place in your pocket, if not your collection.

It's like a Rolex Submariner, you'll never take it diving, but to you it looks good on your wrist.

In post #59 Eversion Eversion has “hard used” his sebenza...that is not a day to day use. Or light.

In post #46 my Large Insingo 21 has taken tumbles off roofs to the ground below. The swedge has been used to pry off paint can lids that have been dried shut. I’ve pried a 3 foot x 3 foot hardwood floor panel open(with subfloor attached). It “drilled,” shaped, and cut multiple materials including wood and plastic. The butt of the knife has been used as a makeshift mallet/hammer when need be.
Im not sure if this is rated “hard use” or “hard misuse” in your books, but this Sebenza is as solid as the day I bought it. Mind you, it does need another sharpening...I’ll do that this weekend...

Last edited:
That is indeed how I introduce the sebenza to my watch friends. Recently one of them asked what was the Rolex of knives, and I had suggested the sebenza. Like rolex, it has several models, modern iterations are maybe not as nice as the classics. No frills, nothing fancy, but functional, durable and likely indestructible. It will serve your needs if taken care of. Also like the rolex, there are pretenders, and homages and etc.

In post #59 Eversion Eversion has “hard used” his sebenza...that is not a day to day use. Or light.

In post #46 my Large Insingo 21 has taken tumbles off roofs to the ground below. The swedge has been used to pry off paint can lids that have been dried shut. I’ve pried a 3 foot x 3 foot hardwood floor panel open(with subfloor attached). It “drilled,” shaped, and cut multiple materials including wood and plastic. The butt of the knife has been used as a makeshift mallet/hammer when need be.
Im not sure if this is rated “hard use” or “hard misuse” in your books, but this Sebenza is as solid as the day I bought it. Mind you, it does need another sharpening...I’ll do that this weekend...
Have also “hard used” my CRK’s :rolleyes:
Once carried my spalted beech small 21 without the slip :eek:
Make sure now to never subject my elder boxwood to the same level of abuse :D

Amazing ,this sebenza battle, and not once unless ive missed it does someone mention or complain about the weird screws used by Shirogorov, and the prices that Recon 1 has on them;700-1100 and up from there, and theres some short knockdown drag out posts but never as heated as all the Sebenza posts.Same goes for Koenig knives,too. they started at 500-550 ive seen them now for 750-1200 without a thing mentioned about " is it worth it".Only the Sebenza gets regularly hit with the is it worth it posts....

It’s interesting that most who say the Sebenza is only good for light-duty use, or as ‘pocket jewelry’ or safe queens, have never used one and, self-admittedly, never will. I’m not saying that everybody has to like or want a CRK knife; and if they don’t appeal to you, or you tried it and it didn’t work out for you, that’s perfectly fine. But when giving statements (opinions) on what it can’t do and how much it can’t take, one’s opinions should be based on actual experience, positive or negative, and not on some personal bias against the product. Otherwise, it means nothing.

Jim

Amazing ,this sebenza battle, and not once unless ive missed it does someone mention or complain about the weird screws used by Shirogorov, and the prices that Recon 1 has on them;700-1100 and up from there, and theres some short knockdown drag out posts but never as heated as all the Sebenza posts.Same goes for Koenig knives,too. they started at 500-550 ive seen them now for 750-1200 without a thing mentioned about " is it worth it".Only the Sebenza gets regularly hit with the is it worth it posts....
Sorry, I don't follow, are upset that we're not discussing the relative value of totally unrelated knives on a post about the relative value of the Sebenza?

I call my Sebenza “Benz”. Because I see them as the Mercedes Benz of the knife world. Clean lines, tight tolerances and well tuned performance.
They ain’t no Ferrari’s. Most arent flashy, expensive to fix, and need “oil” changes everyday. Haha.

How’s that for an analogy. ;)

Oh! And I don’t mean to get anyone freaked out...
F82E30A1-9F64-4579-AF53-101130E307D8.jpeg
...but my OP Zaan is starting to partake in the “construction” life. ;)

Maybe a Zaan or Inkosi is more up the OP’s alley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back