• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I can’t remember if we spoke on the phone or not. Also, any record of our discussion through email would have been deleted, at least on my end. I moved on so there was no need to keep any of that info. I don’t even have pics any longer. The sales thread is still there as proof I owned a knife from Ken though lol. It was a nice knife like I said, just twice it was made differently than I asked.
Thanks.
Things are working out? Are you implying that OP is going to actually get a knife from Coats? On what grounds do you base that assertion?

How would you rate the fulfillment of your expectations in this case?

"mission accomplished"? I missed where the OP posted the picture of his new, well made knife, which post number was that?

Ryan in post # 213, OMCHamlin predicts that this "Ken quote" above by Ken Coats is all more lies and fluff, and that there was never a new (let alone well crafted) knife sent to you by him.
Advice #1: If that proves to be true, I would take a deep breath, turn my back on this, take whatever lesson you can from it, and move on with your life. Cut your losses, so to speak, because you will only find more aggravation in dealing with this walking turd of a creature.
Advice #2: If you should manage to get a decent product from him, I'd resell it and get as much of my original money out of it as I could, and never look back. It would burn in my pocket to carry it. The absolute LAST thing I would do on this earth is ever send him back a knife or anything of value for any reason.

I get what you’re saying but your experience paints even more of a pattern.

Yeah, I genuinely don't understand why anyone is attacking you in this situation. I think you did something productive that helped at least bring everyone to the table and helped get the facts out.

I really hope you're not referring to me :(. I only 'tagged' TOMBSTONE because of our previous interactions in this thread - please check out posts: #70, #71, #74, #78 #81, #102, #103 (might have missed a few)

I even thank TOMBSTONE TOMBSTONE almost two weeks ago for his help in this thread, making it clear that I have nothing against him!

upload_2020-2-12_17-38-37.png

I'm somewhat curious if this entire "call vs. email" question is a generational thing. I much prefer having the time to lay out my thoughts in an email (or forum post), than trying to do it over the phone.
While I can also organize my thoughts better through email or posting, I will always try to call larger businesses that actually answer the phone, when there is an issue. The problem with calling individuals and one man operations is that they don’t hardly take the call anymore, and leaving a voice mail can often be a waste of time

I really hope you're not referring to me :(. I only 'tagged' TOMBSTONE because of our previous interactions in this thread - please check out posts: #70, #71, #74, #78 #81, #102, #103 (might have missed a few)

I even thank TOMBSTONE TOMBSTONE almost two weeks ago for his help in this thread, making it clear that I have nothing against him!

View attachment 1282697

It's all good, I'm not the overly sensitive type anyway. We're all good. I'm just glad a replacement knife and the pieces of his original knife is supposed to be on the way to the OP regardless of whatever he decides to do with it.

Things are working out? Are you implying that OP is going to actually get a knife from Coats? On what grounds do you base that assertion?

How would you rate the fulfillment of your expectations in this case?

"mission accomplished"? I missed where the OP posted the picture of his new, well made knife, which post number was that?

Ryan in post # 213, OMCHamlin predicts that this "Ken quote" above by Ken Coats is all more lies and fluff, and that there was never a new (let alone well crafted) knife sent to you by him.
Advice #1: If that proves to be true, I would take a deep breath, turn my back on this, take whatever lesson you can from it, and move on with your life. Cut your losses, so to speak, because you will only find more aggravation in dealing with this walking turd of a creature.
Advice #2: If you should manage to get a decent product from him, I'd resell it and get as much of my original money out of it as I could, and never look back. It would burn in my pocket to carry it. The absolute LAST thing I would do on this earth is ever send him back a knife or anything of value for any reason.

My expectations are that the maker will make this right.

Now a decent bloke would have made this right without all the drama. I couldn't comment any further as the OP hasn't said he's satisfied.

O OMCHamlin

Let me rephrase this for you...things seem to be moving forward for Ryan Sumner Ryan Sumner . That is what I meant by “working out”. Coats is responding to this thread now. TOMBSTONE TOMBSTONE helped get some answers...Im surprised you had to tag me and couldnt figure this out yourself. The hope was that a well built knife would make it to Ryan.

I think OP calling the maker was a good step to take, but some folks here seemed to imply that it was somehow bad form on his part or reflected poorly on him that he hadn't or had taken some time to do so. That party I STRONGLY disagree with. It's 100% on the maker that he had to go that route and if he had decided not to call at all, but to stick with a format that gave him written evidence I wouldn't have blamed him in the least.

I'm somewhat curious if this entire "call vs. email" question is a generational thing. I much prefer having the time to lay out my thoughts in an email (or forum post), than trying to do it over the phone.

As far as I can tell...it was never a phone call vs. email issue. It was stated by the OP early in this thread that Coats may be having a problem with email. Hence, if I was trying to get ahold of a maker for warranty issues, I would go all routes of social media, and if no response then a phone call. No one here is saying he should have called instead of emailed. And I dont hold it against Ryan. It was a strong suggestion to call if he wasnt getting anywhere with social media.
I think Ryan has shown that he has been screwed by Ken, and I dont think that a phone call would have made a difference now. Especially seeing Ken’s replies in this thread. Ryan, you are A-OK in my books.

Just an FYI for all the youngster’s on here. Not too long ago, there was no web, no emails, no IG, no facebook. We picked up the phone, called the maker and it worked just fine. In fact, a lot of friends I have in this community of knife collecting were made through phone calls. Much much more personal. Even made some calls on the rotary phone. :)

Ken, clear up this situation quickly...we need to close this thread soon.

O OMCHamlin

Let me rephrase this for you...things seem to be moving forward for Ryan Sumner Ryan Sumner . That is what I meant by “working out”. Coats is responding to this thread now. TOMBSTONE TOMBSTONE helped get some answers...Im surprised you had to tag me and couldnt figure this out yourself. The hope was that a well built knife would make it to Ryan.

As far as I can tell...it was never a phone call vs. email issue. It was stated by the OP early in this thread that Coats may be having a problem with email. Hence, if I was trying to get ahold of a maker for warranty issues, I would go all routes of social media, and if no response then a phone call. No one here is saying he should have called instead of emailed. And I dont hold it against Ryan. It was a strong suggestion to call if he wasnt getting anywhere with social media.
I think Ryan has shown that he has been screwed by Ken, and I dont think that a phone call would have made a difference now. Especially seeing Ken’s replies in this thread. Ryan, you are A-OK in my books.

Just an FYI for all the youngster’s on here. Not too long ago, there was no web, no emails, no IG, no facebook. We picked up the phone, called the maker and it worked just fine. In fact, a lot of friends I have in this community of knife collecting were made through phone calls. Much much more personal. Even made some calls on the rotary phone. :)

Ken, clear up this situation quickly...we need to close this thread soon.
Sometimes if we were really motivated, we would even write a letter, put it in a envelope and stamp & mail it!:)

No "attacks" on any of you guys, although I can see why you might have taken it that way, the only thing I am saying is that some people are tending to consider this resolved when it's clearly NOT.
Until Ryan has a new, properly made knife form this guy, nothing is resolved at all. When (if) it shows up, I hope it's what he was expecting. Some of you also are beating around the bush about it, but are trying to excuse or rationalize Coats behavior in this, which I've seen happen many times in these threads.

Ryan, take the money.
If it were that simple I'd say hell yes!. That said, it sounds like this coats character wants him to send the knife back to him before a refund or another knife is sent. If it were me, I wouldn't be sending anything back to Ken coats for any reason, ever. He has displayed the inability to handle even the most basic of communication and interaction, including sending out a spite knife. Who the hell does that?

Get the new knife, report back to the community if there are any problems, and sell it with full disclosure of any issues. Be done with this maker. He seems to have lost his fracking mind.

If it were that simple I'd say hell yes!. That said, it sounds like this coats character wants him to send the knife back to him before a refund or another knife is sent. If it were me, I wouldn't be sending anything back to Ken coats for any reason, ever. He has displayed the inability to handle even the most basic of communication and interaction, including sending out a spite knife. Who the hell does that?

Get the new knife, report back to the community if there are any problems, and sell it with full disclosure of any issues. Be done with this maker. He seems to have lost his fracking mind.

Yeah I see your point. I'm taking this maker at his word on the refund and considering his poor performance so far in this situation that may not be the best way to go. The spite knife is inexcusable. If you don't want to be bothered with the customer service side of the business, quit the business. Getting mad and deciding to screw some guy over because you consider dealing with him a PITA isn't an option. Slapping some bench reject parts together and hoping that will fix it on the cheap isn't an option either and that's what it looks like he did to me. I doubt it was spite, it was likely more just lack of giving a crap and wanting to be done with the situation and the customer because Ryan had sent him the knives for backsprings, which by the way I don't know how a customer could intentionally break and the rest of the knife still be fine. Maybe he hoped Ryan would get disgusted at the junker replacement and just drop it. Either way it's cost him some business I'm sure.

No one here is saying he should have called instead of emailed.

instead = in lieu ;)

upload_2020-2-12_13-23-59-png.1282539

Get the new knife, report back to the community if there are any problems, and sell it with full disclosure of any issues. Be done with this maker..

This is going to be the simplest answer, if Ryan chooses not to keep it. It would be ridiculous to start a new round with Ken. It would be best for both of them to be done with this.

The above is exactly why I wrote it the way I did and offered him a refund .
Ken

Thanks for your offer for a replacement without your name on it, but I meant that the knife would remind me of this situation, regardless of if it's got your name on it mainly as it's one of your knives, hope you can understand.
Also thanks for the offer of a refund but I will have to decline.
Also, can I ask for the tracking number of the package you sent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back