Some words from Chris......

A famous example is the Blend-tec Blender infommercials blending ridiculous things. I'm sure if you broke their blender trying to blend granite, they'd probably not honor the warranty.

What would a Sebbie do in there.......
And how bout warranty of your broken Blender??!

Very well said! I've recently become a Sebenza fan. Now I'm eagerly anticipating my second CRK folder-- the Umnum. Really proud to own a CRK product!

i want to get a sebenza sometime soon but i just dont have the money for one right now:(

This post is from september 2010. Shortly before he changed the steel to S35VN, is that right?
So after he said he put a lot of thought into using S30V, he switches to S35VN.

Just saying … I rather have an edge that is tough to sharpen, yet holds an edge longer, and wouldn't have to send it in as frequently for sharpening.

I just don't understand why a 400 Dollar knife doesn't have THE BEST STEEL AVAILABLE.
It would be nice to at least have an option wether to get S35VN or other steels (besides damascus). Other manufacturers offer half a dozen of steels on the same model. But the grandmaster himself doesn't?

He says (paraphrased) "it's good to have a forum to see what people think". Well, then give them different steels and see what people like best!

Me, e.g., I rather have an edge that is tough to sharpen, yet holds an edge longer, and wouldn't have to send it in as frequently for sharpening.

Just my two

This post is from september 2010. Shortly before he changed the steel to S35VN, is that right?
So after he said he put a lot of thought into using S30V, he switches to S35VN.

Just saying … I rather have an edge that is tough to sharpen, yet holds an edge longer, and wouldn't have to send it in as frequently for sharpening.

I just don't understand why a 400 Dollar knife doesn't have THE BEST STEEL AVAILABLE.
It would be nice to at least have an option wether to get S35VN or other steels (besides damascus). Other manufacturers offer half a dozen of steels on the same model. But the grandmaster himself doesn't?

He says (paraphrased) "it's good to have a forum to see what people think". Well, then give them different steels and see what people like best!

Me, e.g., I rather have an edge that is tough to sharpen, yet holds an edge longer, and wouldn't have to send it in as frequently for sharpening.

Just my two

Just to be fair. This is a $400 knife. If you can't sharpen it you probably shouldn't own it. Or complain about having to send it in for sharpening rather than doing it yourself on a knife specific board. Just my .02. That's like complaining about changing a tire and you shouldn't have to since you spent $30k on the car.

This post is from september 2010. Shortly before he changed the steel to S35VN, is that right? So after he said he put a lot of thought into using S30V, he switches to S35VN.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Can you clarify? Are you suggesting that Chris Reeve changed his mind on S30V?

I could be wrong, but I believe that Chris Reeve has using CPM S30V since 2001. My understanding is that S30V was created based on a discussion between Chris Reeve and Crucible, and that S35VN was a further improvement on S30V. My guess would be that it took several years to develop S30V, and several more years to improve on it and develop S35VN.

IMO, Chris Reeve doesn't seem like the kind of person to quickly change his mind. From reading things here and watching the video interviews with him, he seems very thoughtful and analytical; the kind of person that might take a while to make a decision, but ultimately makes the best decision after careful consideration.

It's amazing how a man can dedicate his whole life and profession to making the "best folding knife in the world for everyone" (not just knifenuts) and be recognized as a master time and again by his professional peers, but be continuously second guessed by "internet experts."

Who are you going to believe? Faceless knife users on the internet or the multiple winner of Blade Manufacturing Award, who introduced not one but two new steels to the knife buying public?

Who are you going to believe? Faceless knife users on the internet or the multiple winner of Blade Manufacturing Award, who introduced not one but two new steels to the knife buying public?
It's normally best to always consider the source and treat it accordingly but to castigate every opinion that differs from the majority or from your own stifles that that can occasionally be quite constructive. I think it goes without saying what credit belongs where without (nearly) always jumping on those not on the band wagon. The master, I would think, can recognize the value, or lack there of, of the faceless but not voiceless user of his product.

My comments are not intended to "castigate every opinion that differs from the majority or from your own".

There is a purpose to this thread, read the first post, my comment is not directed to "every opinion" but toward this one in #88 "I just don't understand why a 400 Dollar knife doesn't have THE BEST STEEL AVAILABLE. It would be nice to at least have an option wether to get S35VN or other steels (besides damascus). Other manufacturers offer half a dozen of steels on the same model. But the grandmaster himself doesn't?" The answer is in post 1. I just can't believe people beat this dead horse in this particular thread.

With the next comment "Me, e.g., I rather have an edge that is tough to sharpen, yet holds an edge longer, and wouldn't have to send it in as frequently for sharpening. " It appears the author is not the intended consumer of a CRK product, since per Post 1, CRK knives are designed to be readily sharpened by the user. Most people don't want to send their knife in for sharpening. Most people sharpen their knives and use a knife until they lose it or find one that is better suited for them.

Today I bought my first CRK, a small plain Sebenza at Plaza Cutlery in Costa Mesa. When I was buying it the clerk was telling me about the knife show they put on every year and how Chris Reeve himself would be there. He told me how whenever someone comes up to him and shows him their own CRK he asks how long they have had it, if it looks brand new he admonishes them for not using it! I knew at that moment I had chosen the right knife made by the right person (I was debating between the Sebenza and a Strider SMG in the store).

Thank you for making great knives and caring about them Mr. Reeve!

Just bought my first CRK less than a week ago (a large left-handed Sebenza 21) I want to use it, but the thing is I'm considering replacing it with a 25 once the left-handed version of that is released and want to get maximum resale for the 21. Either way, it's an amazing product, perfect fit and finish, and even though it was pricey, I can easily see where the cost is coming from. I appreciate quality tools, and this one is at the top of the game.

Chris,

You make a great knife that is a pleasure to own and use. I treat a knife as I was taught in the scouts - keep it sharp and clean, use it carefully how it was intended and don't abuse it. I appreciate you maintaining a pulse on your customers through forums. Personally, I'd like to see a wider availability of more inlay options. Thanks.

My choice to change our folding knife blade steel to S30V was thoroughly thought through, as was the selection of RC hardness 58-59. I was privileged to be involved in the development of S30V with the metallurgists at Crucible Steel – they asked what attributes I wanted in a steel and they delivered. At RC 58-59, the blade will hold a good edge and will be easy enough to sharpen. One of our tests resulted in S30V cutting 14,000 linear inches of e-flute cardboard before notable edge wear against 12,000 for BG42. I have been completely satisfied with the performance of S30V

Anyone know how the s35v responded in the same test?

Thanks for taking time to share your philosophical ideas and some of your history. Your knives are a pleasure to carry and use

Back