Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

Sorry bro it's a fake :(

Hi Everyone,

I need some help. Someone has just told me that this Spyderco Spin of mine is a fake. I'm a bit stressed now because I really do not believe it is a fake, but after seeing some Spyderco Forum posts about possible fake Spins that look almost exactly like real ones I don't know what conclusion to draw. The reasons this person gave me for this knife being fake are:

"First, the box doesn't have the name/model #/barcode as Spyderco knives do. Second, It is finished differently than Spyderco Etched knives are (I have 2 of them).
Third, It weighs about 0.75 grams more than the Spyderco knife. And lastly, the engravings on the blade are much finer/lighter than the real thing."

Do all acid etched Spins have the same exact etch pattern? Can someone confirm or deny with certainty whether this is a real Spyderco or a knock-off??? I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Thank you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95900527@N03/sets/72157639417578235/

Probably the easiest way to tell a real Spin from a fake is the clip screw spacing. On the real ones, the two screws nearest to the knife's spine are VERY close together while, on the fakes, there is a much larger gap between them. Of course, nothing will help if the seller is dishonest enough to not only sell fakes, but use photos of a real Spin to suck you in.

FAKE:
1iyb.jpg
REAL:
Real%20Spin_002.JPG

The guy who sold Barman the fake spin (ebay member mario8948) has been harassing me non-stop since I asked a question on his listing if it was a fake knife or not. Most of his messages have been along the lines of calling me gay and telling me to go back to my moms basement. The last couple seemed more like veiled physical threats, though. I have been reporting them all to ebay, yet somehow I'M the one who got a warning this morning to stop harassing HIM. Ugh, ebay... I told the investigator to go ahead and read the message transcripts and then get back to me about who's harassing who.

Anyways DO NOT deal with ebay seller mario8948 under any circumstances. The fact that he immediately resorted to childish insults and then threats leads me to believe he knows full well that he's selling fakes.

Update. I had reported the seller to ebay, but they only listed to complaints of this nature if it comes from the RIGHTS OWNER. I also filed a report to appropriate federal agencies.I contact Spyderco and they said email customer service the info which I did. Now all this is not really me but I liked their products THAT much that I took the time. I'm looking for a new c36gpe. I had asked what kind of deal could they do me on one and they email me a link to pay FULL retail. I wasn't looking for something for nothing but you would think that taking the time to help a company out that one hand would wash the other. It wasn't my goal in reporting the counterfeits but after I had spend all the time, thought maybe Spyderco would do me a solid. It was a turn off for me. Longtime spyderco fan here, but I think its time to break into my collection start carrying my Emerson's.

New guy here.
Been spy-dercoing on this forum for awhile. I have several Spydercos I enjoy and finally was tagged by what I believe is a knockoff Military.

My question. Is there a bump/bb looking thing on the lock of a Military? Seems to be a weird thing for a lock because its just not smooth to open or close.

New guy here.
Been spy-dercoing on this forum for awhile. I have several Spydercos I enjoy and finally was tagged by what I believe is a knockoff Military.

My question. Is there a bump/bb looking thing on the lock of a Military? Seems to be a weird thing for a lock because its just not smooth to open or close.

Pictures would help.

New guy here.

My question. Is there a bump/bb looking thing on the lock of a Military? Seems to be a weird thing for a lock because its just not smooth to open or close.[/QUOTE]

first try at a pic

Attachments

• BB thing.jpg
    BB thing.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 96
New guy here.

Are you talking about the ball detent? It goes into a small hole in the blade when the knife is closed to prevent accidental opening.

Update. I had reported the seller to ebay, but they only listed to complaints of this nature if it comes from the RIGHTS OWNER. I also filed a report to appropriate federal agencies.I contact Spyderco and they said email customer service the info which I did. Now all this is not really me but I liked their products THAT much that I took the time. I'm looking for a new c36gpe. I had asked what kind of deal could they do me on one and they email me a link to pay FULL retail. I wasn't looking for something for nothing but you would think that taking the time to help a company out that one hand would wash the other. It wasn't my goal in reporting the counterfeits but after I had spend all the time, thought maybe Spyderco would do me a solid. It was a turn off for me. Longtime spyderco fan here, but I think its time to break into my collection start carrying my Emerson's.

The act of reporting counterfeits doesn't entitle anyone to anything. Being "turned off" when provided with a link for full MSRP from the manufacturer is kind of silly IMO. If you want a deal on a Spyderco, straight from the manufacturer is not the place to get it. Check out some of the resellers for deals, as the factory, with few exceptions, only sells at MSRP. This is true of most (if not all) knife manufacturers with resale contracts.

The act of reporting counterfeits doesn't entitle anyone to anything. Being "turned off" when provided with a link for full MSRP from the manufacturer is kind of silly IMO. If you want a deal on a Spyderco, straight from the manufacturer is not the place to get it. Check out some of the resellers for deals, as the factory, with few exceptions, only sells at MSRP. This is true of most (if not all) knife manufacturers with resale contracts.

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to type your personal opinion. I was just sharing mine based on my experience pertaining to this situation. As a business owner I would have done more for a customer and do when the situation arises. Spyderco make great products and my disappointment was not in the product. I love my Sharpmaker and their knives I do have. Wouldn't mind getting some Mule Teams. Have a great day.

Good eye. Looks like nylon to me also.

Can you post some more full pictures of the knife? Definitely not liking that second picture, and looks to have (white) nylon washers as well?

Attachments

• resize3.jpg
    resize3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 107
  • resize4.jpg
    resize4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 102
  • resize5.jpg
    resize5.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 104
  • resize6.jpg
    resize6.jpg