SUBCOM Folder...on going review(s)...

andkatz said:
Hello all.
Could somone tell me what size allen key to get to change the clip on my new SubCom? Thanks...

If "allen key" is the same what we call Torx keys over here in Germany, then it is number six.
Michael

clavichord said:
If "allen key" is the same what we call Torx keys over here in Germany, then it is number six.
Michael
"Allen key" is not the same over here as Torx. It's a Torx, not an Allen.

T6 is what I've got also.:)

Aloha clavichord and ghostrider,

Thanks for your help with andkatz...I have not been here for sometime.:(

God bless you guys!:thumbup:

My eyes are not what they used to be. I see now that they are Torx. Thanks for your help and have a good one.

I just got the AUS8 version at home, this are my first impressions:

First impressions are really good, great ergos for it's size, I love the blade shape.

The framelock will keep secured the blade on it's place for sure and makes a nice "clack" sound when opening.

The opening is smooth and easy with one hand, same closing it.

The pocket clip came too tight but got fixed in a minute with a torx screws set.

It came out of the box pretty sharp but it didn't shave the way I'm used too, 5 minutes with my Sharpmaker made it a hair popping shaving machine (yeah, my left forearm is bald... again).

I'll post after some more use but I think this beauty will be my EDC for a while :) Great work Chad!

Got a AUS-8 version as well recently (similar experience with San Shou):
SWEET! Handle jimping is a bit rough over time in hammerfist, but it does what it's supposed to - improve traction.
Works in saber, hammerfist, forward-edge-in (my favorite), reverse-edge-out (doesn't quite work for me), skinning/scalpel.... but, for me, not in "punch-dagger" or "pikal/pakal".
Quick comparison pics (clickable thumbnails) with Spyderco Jester:

Though not particularly comfortable in tighter grips, the amount of grip you can get on this knife is amazing....
Easy to open in a wide variety of ways, though I haven't figured how to wave it open yet... I tend to just spin it on my finger.

SanShou said:
I just got the AUS8 version at home, this are my first impressions:

First impressions are really good, great ergos for it's size, I love the blade shape.

The framelock will keep secured the blade on it's place for sure and makes a nice "clack" sound when opening.

The opening is smooth and easy with one hand, same closing it.

The pocket clip came too tight but got fixed in a minute with a torx screws set.

It came out of the box pretty sharp but it didn't shave the way I'm used too, 5 minutes with my Sharpmaker made it a hair popping shaving machine (yeah, my left forearm is bald... again).

I'll post after some more use but I think this beauty will be my EDC for a while :) Great work Chad!

Mahalo SanShou,

Glad that you got your 2nd Gen SF...Strange because my 2nd Gen version was not as sharp as my 1st gen 420J2!:confused: You have my apologies regarding the clip tension...I wanted the clip to go all the way to the other screw holes for more leverage when opening as well as to further prevent "pocket escapes"...oh well.

Enjoy it as a primary or secondary carry piece. Sweet spot used to be right at the corner of the stud closest my logo, but I noticed the longer clip changed that...

Keep us posted and thanks again!

God bless and take care:thumbup:

senoBDEC said:
Got a AUS-8 version as well recently (similar experience with San Shou):
SWEET! Handle jimping is a bit rough over time in hammerfist, but it does what it's supposed to - improve traction.
Works in saber, hammerfist, forward-edge-in (my favorite), reverse-edge-out (doesn't quite work for me), skinning/scalpel.... but, for me, not in "punch-dagger" or "pikal/pakal".
Quick comparison pics (clickable thumbnails) with Spyderco Jester:

Though not particularly comfortable in tighter grips, the amount of grip you can get on this knife is amazing....
Easy to open in a wide variety of ways, though I haven't figured how to wave it open yet... I tend to just spin it on my finger.

Aloha and mahalo senoBDEC,

Thanks to you also for your support and great mini-review. Again, my apologies for the traction grooves...see, initially, I wanted this to be done in Aluminum with some thickness to the handle and ROUNDED off traction grooves. Then I figured G10 would be okay, as users could sand them down a bit with proper safety equipment. (G10 dust is toxic!!!) Also, it is not an "all grip knife", but for it's size, it does well. Did you, or are you going to add a fob to it?

I *hope* you are happy with it...:confused:

Just one more thing...how do you "spin it on your finger"?:eek: Oh and the wave thing is snagging the stud on your pocket upon draw in tip up carry. Doesn't work all the time, and eats the heck outta your pockets if you keep doing it!:eek:

God bless and thanks for the review and great pics!:thumbup:

I don't think it even needs a fob, but first, to potterma it will go ;) - new scale with more thickness and contouring for the index choil.
Yeah, I do like it - should have mentioned that. I understand (sort of) the "sharpness" of the traction grooves, and it is pretty easily dealt with (wear a rebreather mask while doing) - like I said, they do their job well.

You spin it on and between your fingers much like you would a coin or pen. It actually works quite well.
P.S. My pockets are beat up already from my ghetto-fied Delica.
Again, a very good design and execution. Congratulations to Daywalker and to Boker Inc.

Daywalker said:
Mahalo SanShou,

Glad that you got your 2nd Gen SF...Strange because my 2nd Gen version was not as sharp as my 1st gen 420J2!:confused: You have my apologies regarding the clip tension...I wanted the clip to go all the way to the other screw holes for more leverage when opening as well as to further prevent "pocket escapes"...oh well.

Enjoy it as a primary or secondary carry piece. Sweet spot used to be right at the corner of the stud closest my logo, but I noticed the longer clip changed that...

Keep us posted and thanks again!

God bless and take care:thumbup:

There's no need for apologies of any kind!! I usually "tweak" my knives when I got'em, It's like they are more "mine" that way. I've been carrying it for a week now and the Subcom performance is great, I never thought I could be so satisfied with a knife for the price.

Hey Chad, I got to see the Subcom in OD and Tan the other day in Atlanta. Partially serrated too. Have YOU seen 'em yet?:p

Hi everyone,
My first time posting here. Have been a huge fan of Spyderco's for a while now (3 Navigators, a Delica and SS Jester). I removed the clips form all-no there wasn't one on my Jester:)
Wondering how the SF opens without clip::confused:
Thanks,
B

billy1 said:
Wondering how the SF opens without clip::confused:

Opening it with the middle finger on the sweet point of the stud won't work imo, because your ring finger needs the clip support. But the other main opening methods should be okay:

1. straight push with the thumb on the sweet spot
2. Spyder drop with thumb and index finger on the two studs
3. index finger on the sweet spot, middle finger who normally would be on the clip at the nudges of the bottom end for turning the handle
4. G10 scale facing the palm with blade in reverse position, concealed opening with the ring finger.

For more opening variants, go back to the Miller report on page 2 of this very thread.
Michael

Thanks Michael. That was a good read and extremely informative. Should be getting my SF tomorrow. Can't wait!
:D
B

My first SubCom!
Well I finally got my SubCom. Not from Best Knives. Had to order from someone else while waiting to hear from Best.
Anyway, glad to get it in. This is a solid little knife, but it's going to take a little while getting used to. Every thing works very well, a suprise for a knife of this price. I have read most of the reviews so I got the hang of opening it, that "sweet spot" does exist. I am not fond of the thumbstud right now, it gets in the way while putting knife in my pocket (learning curve).
For now I will be pleased just to handle it and get it broken in.
Still cannot get over the fit and finish of this gem.

I coveted Dr Snubnose's Subcom when I first saw it now I have mine in AUS 8 and we are inseperable.

gull wing said:
I am not fond of the thumbstud right now, it gets in the way while putting knife in my pocket (learning curve).
:) I know, same here. After some time, your fingers will know how to do it without your even thinking about it.
It will be like entering your car without bumping your head. Today, I have forgotten there ever was a problem.
Michael ...:thumbup:

Day two:
What is the secret in unlocking? My thumb is hamburger. I am going lay this one down for a few days to give my thumb a rest. The locking lug is easy to push back???? I don't get it why is it so hard to unlock?. Yes, I have lots of liner locks and frame locks.

gull wing said:
Day two:
What is the secret in unlocking? My thumb is hamburger. I am going lay this one down for a few days to give my thumb a rest. The locking lug is easy to push back???? I don't get it why is it so hard to unlock?. Yes, I have lots of liner locks and frame locks.
I remember DAYWALKER mentioning this. Funny because all three of mine don't have this problem. Personally I wouldn't have so much of a problem with a folding knife that is hard to unlock since it seems that would transfer to less likelyhood of it closing at the wrong time.

Back