SUBCOM Folder...on going review(s)...

gull wing said:
Day two:
What is the secret in unlocking? My thumb is hamburger. I am going lay this one down for a few days to give my thumb a rest. The locking lug is easy to push back???? I don't get it why is it so hard to unlock?. Yes, I have lots of liner locks and frame locks.

I believe DAYWALKER designed it that way, so as to prevent accidental closing. I'll admit it takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you'll find yourself clicking it open and close when you're standing in line at the grocery store, and anywhere else you find yourself with idle time.:thumbup:

winston said:
I coveted Dr Snubnose's Subcom when I first saw it now I have mine in AUS 8 and we are inseperable.

And that is saying a lot, because I'm going to have to surgically remove a Spyderco D'Allara from this mans hand, so he must be holding the Subcom in the other. :D Doc Snubnose

Day four:
I like SubCom even more now that I have made it my own. The AUS8 blade sharpens up real nice. I love it for cutting small boxes, coke cartons, slicing apples. The unlocking issue is a little better.
What I did:
1. new scale G10 Black/Tan - Looks better.(gray)
2. made the scallop deeper at the lock lug - Opens a little easier.
3. added a fob of black paracord - Gives extra length to handle.
4. took out the stud - I just could not handle it stopping me from putting it into my pocket. It opens smooth as glass.

gull wing said:
Day four:
I like SubCom even more now that I have made it my own. The AUS8 blade sharpens up real nice. I love it for cutting small boxes, coke cartons, slicing apples. The unlocking issue is a little better.
What I did:
1. new scale G10 Black/Tan - Looks better.(gray)
2. made the scallop deeper at the lock lug - Opens a little easier.
3. added a fob of black paracord - Gives extra length to handle.
4. took out the stud - I just could not handle it stopping me from putting it into my pocket. It opens smooth as glass.

Very Nice mod there gull wing. I was wondering why you removed the studs.....I kinda like them a lot, not sure I understand the part about the studs stopping you from putting it in your pocket....please enlighten me....Doc

Zip,
The height of the stud and it's "squareness" combine to block entry into the pocket. It is like a "stop" post. If the stud were more rounded perhaps.
Whatever, I see I am not the only one who has removed the stud.

KamSingh said:
Can you open it with one hand with the stud removed?

I would never remove the stud. Giving the pocket this little automatic flick around the stud is little inconvenience for the benefit of opening the knife fast with several methods with the help of this stud. After all, in an emergency you need speed for opening the knife, not for putting it back in place
Michael

I am 63 years old, If I must depend on a sub 2" knife for my survival,
I am sunk. (a Smith and Wesson is a better tool for that purpose)
No, I like it better un-studded.

Oh, yes, It "opens smooth as glass". With one hand. This is a great knife, I have only made it better (for Me anyway).

gull wing said:
I am 63 years old, If I must depend on a sub 2" knife for my survival,
I am sunk. (a Smith and Wesson is a better tool for that purpose)
No, I like it better un-studded.

I am 62 years old. And carrying firearms is verboten in Old Europe.
Michael

gull wing said:
Oh, yes, It "opens smooth as glass". With one hand. This is a great knife, I have only made it better (for Me anyway).

One of my favourite opening methods is where you hold the bisquit upside down, scale facing the palm, and you open it with your ring finger. You can do that also concealed with arm hanging down. I fail to see how that can be comfortably and swiftly done without stud.
Michael

senoBDEC said:
I don't think it even needs a fob, but first, to potterma it will go ;) - new scale with more thickness and contouring for the index choil.
Yeah, I do like it - should have mentioned that. I understand (sort of) the "sharpness" of the traction grooves, and it is pretty easily dealt with (wear a rebreather mask while doing) - like I said, they do their job well.

You spin it on and between your fingers much like you would a coin or pen. It actually works quite well.
P.S. My pockets are beat up already from my ghetto-fied Delica.
Again, a very good design and execution. Congratulations to Daywalker and to Boker Inc.

Mahalo much senoBDEC,

Great move on your part sending it to potterma...he is the Master SF Molester in the USA after all.;)

God bless and share when potterma is done please!

From Oahu, 1508hrs.:thumbup:

bigbore.45 said:
Hi again,
i`m not sure this is the right thread for showing pimped subcoms,
if you want to see click here:
http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=33882
First you see one with nice wood grip
and scroll down to see mine:

G11 by potterma
scratchfinish by me
final finish at blade and grip by Revierler (Austria)

Aloha bigbore.45,

Yeah, it's cool to show pimped SF's here! TJT should make a sticky for them actually!:D

VERY nice, and mahalo for sharing! I miss the folks over at messer...I gotta drop in.

God bless and thanks from oahu, 1510hrs.:thumbup:

SanShou said:
There's no need for apologies of any kind!! I usually "tweak" my knives when I got'em, It's like they are more "mine" that way. I've been carrying it for a week now and the Subcom performance is great, I never thought I could be so satisfied with a knife for the price.

Aloha SanShou,

I am glad that you are happy with it...yes, the fit and finish are very well done IMHO.

I hope it continues to serve you well!

God bless from Oahu, 1512hrs.:thumbup:

spyderknut said:
Hey Chad, I got to see the Subcom in OD and Tan the other day in Atlanta. Partially serrated too. Have YOU seen 'em yet?:p

Wha? My ontimefriendomine...I heard about them. I hope there is a package with some samples when i get home from this vacation! Were they nice, or...

God bless and do take care bro! From Oahu, 1515hrs.:thumbup:

billy1 said:
Hi everyone,
My first time posting here. Have been a huge fan of Spyderco's for a while now (3 Navigators, a Delica and SS Jester). I removed the clips form all-no there wasn't one on my Jester:)
Wondering how the SF opens without clip::confused:
Thanks,
B

Aloha billy1,

Welcome! Yes, the SF can be opened alright w/o the clip. I experimented with it minus the clip with my wife's SF for awhile. while the clip does afford better leverage, it just takes getting used to w/o it.

God bless and mahalo from Oahu, 1517hrs.:thumbup:

gull wing said:
My first SubCom!
Well I finally got my SubCom. Not from Best Knives. Had to order from someone else while waiting to hear from Best.
Anyway, glad to get it in. This is a solid little knife, but it's going to take a little while getting used to. Every thing works very well, a suprise for a knife of this price. I have read most of the reviews so I got the hang of opening it, that "sweet spot" does exist. I am not fond of the thumbstud right now, it gets in the way while putting knife in my pocket (learning curve).
For now I will be pleased just to handle it and get it broken in.
Still cannot get over the fit and finish of this gem.

aloha gull wing,

Good to see you here, and thanks! Yes, sorry about the stud, but it 'disappears" after awhile. The SF was to have been a bit thicker, but oh well...like sal said about the Cricket SS: Thin is in!:D

A friend of mine in Germany actually sanded down the stud on the left side to alleviate the 'hang up". However, as mentioned, it disappears with use.

God bless and mahalo much from Oahu, 1519hrs.:thumbup:

winston said:
I coveted Dr Snubnose's Subcom when I first saw it now I have mine in AUS 8 and we are inseperable.

aloha and welcome winston,

Are you a student of Sifu Miller?

Anyway, thanks for your kind words and enjoy it! Do keep us posted however!

God bless from oahu, 1521hrs.:thumbup:

Back