Super polished edges

8457c70937d0c62ac5ca430b27d75b67.jpg
b40dcfe35c04a376cefd9d4070a70364.jpg
06ed155efeb86866e7ffa1249358fb1f.jpg
79b7c0e704b3f37f6f920df74dfaaa74.jpg
5c38af3fbe364082981063cc20ff9728.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's one I finally got around to finishing. Bark River Bravo Necker 2 Sandvic 12c27. Was nice enough out of the box but I always wanted to finish it off a little nicer, run the convex the full height of the blade and correct some of the geometry. Is one of my favorite EDU and all time favorite camping little knife backup to my hatchet. Removed all the blacking and plan on adding colored spacers at some point.

Have been tinkering with a guided widget for my grinder that allows for good accuracy on curves as well as flats and I had some new Blaze belts on hand, so the Necker got the nod to finish. Is not quite as fine a polish as it looks from the pics, still has a slight haze but all in all turned out very nice. Grind goes from 0° at the spine to 13° at the edge.

101_0312_zpspnv10hlo.jpg

101_0311_zpsuqxe8jp6.jpg

Here's one I finally got around to finishing. Bark River Bravo Necker 2 Sandvic 12c27. Was nice enough out of the box but I always wanted to finish it off a little nicer, run the convex the full height of the blade and correct some of the geometry. Is one of my favorite EDU and all time favorite camping little knife backup to my hatchet. Removed all the blacking and plan on adding colored spacers at some point.

Have been tinkering with a guided widget for my grinder that allows for good accuracy on curves as well as flats and I had some new Blaze belts on hand, so the Necker got the nod to finish. Is not quite as fine a polish as it looks from the pics, still has a slight haze but all in all turned out very nice. Grind goes from 0° at the spine to 13° at the edge.

Great work dude, love the finish. I love Bark Rivers outstanding quality/f&f for the $!

Great work dude, love the finish. I love Bark Rivers outstanding quality/f&f for the $!

Thanks a lot!

I've owned this knife for years, AFAIK they only made the Necker 2 for a little while - is the best HT in this steel of the examples I own and a great all around size. Original grinds were good, but a slight recurve at the plunge line and side to side not even. Is easy enough to fudge and get it looking good cosmetically but I've slowly been correcting and thinning by hand for years and always wanted to take it a bit further.

Finally decided to just do a full job on it starting at 60 grit and finishing with my Washboard compound on leather belt (why it isn't quite mirror). Since I've been tinkering with a couple of homemade guides for my powered gear, this was a great opportunity to try them out. This took a few - lots of respect for you and others who do this sort of thing first rate and on a regular.

Hinderer xm 18 spear point 20dps and a reate torrent at 17dps.
feb449fed8146c0c5394b5209f4ac047.jpg
98e3cc7edc774ca2c0f789984bb99480.jpg
357fb42e12fcc938479e735d30eb0f86.jpg
eef0e1f22b2d2ddbc05004621636e487.jpg
156213ef23ad63594e5e85a5c7f870c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Whats the average time for ur mirros Scrim? 2,3 hrs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on the size of the blade and if I'm going to reprofile the secondary or keep the factory angle. Steel types, too. I've put a nice mirror edge on a ZT0450 (at the factory angle) in about half an hour...or like with the Stedemon ZKC D01 (earlier on this page), a four inch blade that I reprofiled from 22º down to 13º (an Edge Pro Apex experiment for me going that acute). That one took a while, plus I decided to be really meticulous, so that one took about 2.5 hours. The ZT220 I did today, and reprofiled the secondary down to 15º, took about 90 min. No sharpening choil so it took longer as I had to be really careful on each step near the end of the secondary (at the plunge)...where they should have put a choil. Well, at least it would have been nice of ZT if they had. To me, the only major flaw of a near perfect knife design.

How about yours Thin-Slice? Maybe I'm just going too slowly and could speed up the process? What's your average time like?

Josh, I'd be curious about how much time it takes you too, on average. I don't know how to judge. I'm a hack hobbyist so I tend to just take my time usually. Doing it professionally, with folks waiting with bated breath to get their stuff back from you so they can show off your awesome edges, must force you to be a lot more "time conscious" (per knife), eh?

I'd like to see everybody that posts their beautiful polished edges on this thread talk about how much time it usually takes them to achieve the high caliber of edges I see displayed here. It would be interesting for all of us edge nuts to know about each others time spent, sharpening set up & techniques we've found helpful, IMHO. Pictures are great but data is king. Let's see who chimes in!:D

Last edited:
Back