Super polished edges

eiqBuDr.jpg

Strider SnG st 15dps. They definitely grind these thinner than they used to!

Am I the only one who's mad that you didn't present the Dr. Suess book face side up so I could see which one it was?

On a serious note..nice work. I'm getting my 2300 grit stone in the mail tomorrow so if the results are good enough you might see a couple of pics :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Am I the only one who's made that you didn't present the Dr. Suess book face side up so I could see which one it was?

On a serious note..nice work. I'm getting my 2300 grit stone in the mail tomorrow so if the results are good enough you might see a couple of pics :thumbsup:

The stone alone should be pretty close. My 2k shapton is almost mirror quality. A little stropping and you're all set.

The stone alone should be pretty close. My 2k shapton is almost mirror quality. A little stropping and you're all set.
Yeah I've done some research, you know the whole conversation chart with the different micron levels and whatnot and it seems that a Shapton 6k is equivalent to the EP 2300..so if you say your 2k is giving you near Mirror levels then I can rest easy tonight knowing all my knives will look beautiful come tomorrow evening (I hope).

I strop on a knifeplus strop block "green" I wish I could find info on what micron they load this strop with but it gives me a very nice polish.

Yeah I've done some research, you know the whole conversation chart with the different micron levels and whatnot and it seems that a Shapton 6k is equivalent to the EP 2300..so if you say your 2k is giving you near Mirror levels then I can rest easy tonight knowing all my knives will look beautiful come tomorrow evening (I hope).

I strop on a knifeplus strop block "green" I wish I could find info on what micron they load this strop with but it gives me a very nice polish.

Pretty sure the knives plus strop is loaded with bark river compound which is one micron.

Some of it comes down to the stone too. I've got a bunch of cheap Chinese stones that are all over the place. One 2k that's a near mirror like the Shapton glass, but a 5k that acts more like the 800 Shapton. Hopefully yours is a genuine 2.3k and will work well after breaking in.

Some of it comes down to the stone too. I've got a bunch of cheap Chinese stones that are all over the place. One 2k that's a near mirror like the Shapton glass, but a 5k that acts more like the 800 Shapton. Hopefully yours is a genuine 2.3k and will work well after breaking in.
"Genuine" as in not fake or what? I ordered it right from Edge Pro so I hope it's the real deal!

Am I the only one who's mad that you didn't present the Dr. Suess book face side up so I could see which one it was?

Green Eggs and Ham, what else?! Looking forward to seeing those edges

Okay so I just finished my Sebenza at 2300...

Here's a pic of 1000 grit:

Notice how hazey the bevel is..

And here are some pics after the 2300 stone:

I suppose the next step is a 4000 stone!

Nice job not laying the bevel back too far! Easy to do on Sebenzas near the tip. I'm guessing 18 or 19 dps?

Nice job not laying the bevel back too far! Easy to do on Sebenzas near the tip. I'm guessing 18 or 19 dps?
Thanks man, you're correct..19 dps. You may not be able to see the whole penny but hell, like you said I don't need a huge ass cutting edge with the Benza

Thanks man, you're correct..19 dps. You may not be able to see the whole penny but hell, like you said I don't need a huge ass cutting edge with the Benza

Nice. Yeah, they're nice and thin behind the edge already. That should cut well and hold its edge for a good long time.

Crazy what camera angles will do... lol. This is a 600 grit convex edge (on my belt sander) and polished with some compound on a leather strop. This is a Busse BB13 I just got finished regrinding to a full flat grind.

IMG_20170610_185554-X2.jpg

i-V5F5wct-X2.jpg

But here's the edge under a little different lighting! no where near what a true mirror polished edge is... but it is a nice user polish to be sure =)

i-vTdKcCp-X2.jpg

Back