Super polished edges

20170615_191149_zpsf4sep7co.jpg

20170615_191030_zps8gyao5n6.jpg
Well, last time I checked 154CM was NOT microclean..you shouldn't be allowed to produce an edge like this ..o_O

IMG_20170622_162509_958_zpsoywz8yja.jpg

Please forgive the Sharpie. Hadn't wiped it off yet.

I was just testing the performance on this one. Micro-shavings from free-standing arm hair. I thought it was just dead skin at first.

We'll see how it holds up. I don't normally take D2 down to this level. Finished at 1/10th of a micron.

IMG_20170622_162509_958_zpsoywz8yja.jpg

Please forgive the Sharpie. Hadn't wiped it off yet.

I was just testing the performance on this one. Micro-shavings from free-standing arm hair. I thought it was just dead skin at first.

We'll see how it holds up. I don't normally take D2 down to this level. Finished at 1/10th of a micron.

Nice looking edge T.L.E. - I don't know if you experienced the same, but the D2 on my Brous (above) was REALLY tough to reprofile and put a mirror polished edge on. Took a ton of time and effort, way more than other steels I've worked on. Even with my CKTG 140 diamond stone, it was a bit@h to work that steel off. The edge is now beautiful and laser sharp, but for that much time & effort I'm expecting it to hold up for a good long time. Only use & time will tell.

Last edited:
Anyone polish convex edges to a mirror shine? I feel like I have a huge amount of practice ahead of me...

Thanks.
I started with my Edge Pro and a lot of minute angle changing & repositioning of the knife, then wet 1000 & 2000 grit sandpaper on a spongy surface, then Edge Pro tapes on a soft surface, then a ton of stropping on four different strops to finally get it where I wanted it. You can see the wavy irregularities at the transition line between the primary and secondary bevel. It was an interesting experiment I hope to never do again! I was totally winging it just to see if I could figure out a way to do it and get a decent result. Took a lot of time, trial & error. Ultimately it made me appreciate my Higo even more, however they pull off their magic at Rockstead.

Thanks.
I started with my Edge Pro and a lot of minute angle changing & repositioning of the knife, then wet 1000 & 2000 grit sandpaper on a spongy surface, then Edge Pro tapes on a soft surface, then a ton of stropping on four different strops to finally get it where I wanted it. You can see the wavy irregularities at the transition line between the primary and secondary bevel. It was an interesting experiment I hope to never do again! I was totally winging it just to see if I could figure out a way to do it and get a decent result. Took a lot of time, trial & error. Ultimately it made me appreciate my Higo even more, however they pull off their magic at Rockstead.
Well it looks pretty damn good for using the blending method! I'm not going to go crazy trying to get a mirror as I am working on O1 steel and it's a working blade.

IMG_20170625_205527_204_zpsn7qzvywd.jpg

IMG_20170625_205115_786_zpsnjmorsu3.jpg

This book cover didn't work as well as I'd hoped. It's bright, but also has a lightly textured finished that just doesn't pop well on the reflection. Will have to re-shoot these tomorrow.:(

Back