Super polished edges

Yeah, that side definitely looks nice and even. Uneven factory bevels are super annoying. They make it really easy to throw off a whole sharpening.

And continuously learning is the name of the game. It never ends.

yeah, tell me about it. My 940-1 that i got back is so uneven it is disappointing. It is the worst i have seen from them. But i am really liking the 20cv mistake. This steel takes a very keen edge. As far as the 940-1 uneven grind goes, i am not going to go to town on it. I will gradually correct it over months of touch-ups. The valet was actually decent except for the back where you see the plunge grind. Also, about 3/8" from the back the grind was quite a bit off from the rest of the knife.

yeah, tell me about it. My 940-1 that i got back is so uneven it is disappointing. It is the worst i have seen from them. But i am really liking the 20cv mistake. This steel takes a very keen edge. As far as the 940-1 uneven grind goes, i am not going to go to town on it. I will gradually correct it over months of touch-ups. The valet was actually decent except for the back where you see the plunge grind. Also, about 3/8" from the back the grind was quite a bit off from the rest of the knife.

Yeah, I've had factory grinds on 20CV and S90V 940's that were pretty wonky as well. Not sure what it is about that model, but it seems like Benchmade has (or used to have) a hard time getting an even edge on them. The 940-1 I have now came pretty good from the factory and profiled down to 17 degrees per side very easily, it was ground almost there to begin with.

And reprofiling by hand is tricky business, especially without diamond stones. I used to do free hand, and am definitely glad to have moved on to a fixed angle system. I do miss it sometimes, though.

Progression went as follows
Atoma Plates 140 , 400 , 600 , 1200
Shapton Pro Stones 220 , 1k , 1500 , 2k
Shapton Pro Stones enhanced with CBN 5k , 8k , 15k , 30k
Stropped with Nanocloth and Polycrystalline Diamond , 0.25u and 0.1u

Or something similar anyways. I may swap out for a Nubatama stone from time to time , or on simpler steels omit the CBN and Atoma Plates. Its always slighty different. Sometimes even adding 0.05u , 0.025u and 0.015u Poly Diamond

You freehand these? They look amazing.

Usually I just post sharpening pics right after finishing one. Thought I'd show how one holds up over time.

This is my Large Sebenza 21 with micarta inlays, which I sharpened over a year and a half ago. It's been carried and used plenty, only stropped to maintain the edge, which will still shave hair.

sMiRmkY.jpg

xID2Zxg.jpg[

Last edited:
Usually I just post sharpening pics right after finishing one. Thought I'd show how one holds up over time.

This is my Large Sebenza 21 with micarta inlays, which I sharpened over a year and a half ago. It's been carried and used plenty, only stropped to maintain the edge, which will still shave hair.

sMiRmkY.jpg

xID2Zxg.jpg[

It is really cool that your edge has lasted that long. How many times would you say you have stropped it so far? S35vn is a great knife steel. I am finding that m390 responds well to stropping so far. Haven't had enough time with 20cv to comment yet.

It is really cool that your edge has lasted that long. How many times would you say you have stropped it so far? S35vn is a great knife steel. I am finding that m390 responds well to stropping so far. Haven't had enough time with 20cv to comment yet.

Oh, more times than I can count. Pretty much after any day it gets carried and used.

Hey guys so some of you may remember a post I made a few weeks back about how I wish I had more knives/blade types and steels to work and practice on. Well..one of our fellow BF members graciously sent me some of his collection! Today I finished up his M390 PM2. Stopped it at 1000 grit as the client only needed it to be a user. But that chromium still shows through!
More to come!

Hey guys so some of you may remember a post I made a few weeks back about how I wish I had more knives/blade types and steels to work and practice on. Well..one of our fellow BF members graciously sent me some of his collection! Today I finished up his M390 PM2. Stopped it at 1000 grit as the client only needed it to be a user. But that chromium still shows through!
More to come!

Aquaholicc, that looks even better as a full size picture compared to how my email has it shrunk a little.:D

As Aquaholicc mentioned, I saw his post about wanting to sharpen his skills on other knives and with some of my knives needing a quality sharpening, it was a great way for me to get my knives sharpened and for Aquaholicc to get the experience he was after with different blade steels.

I'm looking forward to my other knives that I did want mirror polished, if that's how a 1000 grit looks.:eek:

If there are others out there looking to get their knives sharpened, look no further than Aquaholicc.:thumbsup:

Aquaholicc, I'm assuming that's ANSI 1,000 grit? If so, then there's hope for me. Using a Spyderco Double Stuff stone and a Garos paddle strop with compound, it's really slow going and while my Endura 4 is beginning to look pretty good (can barely see a scratch pattern anymore), I've never obtained a legit mirror polish before. I'll just keep at it!

Back