1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Super polished edges

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by razor-edge-knives, Feb 23, 2015.

1. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2014
    +1 to all this. And I'm still a long way from pro. Maybe someday. :D

2. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    Halden.doerge, you should really get something more colorful with sharp details to reflect off your knife edge to show off the work! Like a king of hearts from a card deck or similar. It is hard to see your detail work in your images.

3. Aquaholicc

Aquaholicc Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Funny our stories are similar in the fact that I started with a Sharpmaker as well and quickly moved onto the Edge Pro after seeing it featured in a video from jdavis. I just added a 2300 grit stone to my collection and much like you can see myself honing the “skill” per say. As the last knife seemed to be some self justification for that.

But I think now is the perfect time to ask the wife for a WE since the holiday is just right around the corner :D

Scrim likes this.
  4. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Look further back in the thread. I use playing cards sometimes. What I need is better lighting...

5. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    Ok. I feel that i get some of my best lighting for knife and watch photos by shooting adjacent to a window during daylight.

6. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Thanks for all the unsolicited advice.

7. Aquaholicc

Aquaholicc Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Construct a white box with A couple LED lights shining into it! Luckily my dining room table has 8 LED Pendant lights hanging from it. (Wife’s “awesome” idea.)

halden.doerge likes this.
  8. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Yeah, something like that is what I plan to do. Getting the shop in order is a seemingly unending task.

Aquaholicc likes this.
  9. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    I find it regrettable that my post has annoyed you but you gave me a good recommendation with my 940-1 and i wanted to try to reciprocate so that perhaps you could expose more detail on your edge shots since you said you are running a sharpening service.

10. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. Cheers.

11. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    There is some really nice sharpening work going on in here. I am posting a pic of one of my edges. It is not "super polished" but it is shiny. I sharpen free hand on spyderco medium and fine ceramics then finish up with with a few passes on a home made green compound loaded strop. On this particular one i did 8 passes on each side on the loaded strop after finishing on the fine spyderco ceramic stone.

Scrim likes this.
  12. Scrim

Scrim Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2014
    sov tang 2 sides.jpg

Aquaholicc and halden.doerge like this.
  13. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Latest work, another M4 beast of a blade, the Spyderco Galye Bradley 1. Tried to get my photos as detailed as I could...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aquaholicc and Scrim like this.
  14. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    Nice work! Nice photo! Is the tip flaring a little though with a slight burr? Or is that just illusion?

15. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Just a tiny micro bevel.

16. Scrim

Scrim Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fresh off the grill...
    spydiechef mirror edge.jpg mirror2 spydiechef.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    Aquaholicc and halden.doerge like this.
  17. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Bummer about jacking up that plunge grind. I miss the Valet sometimes. Good knife.

18. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    The Valet unfortunately came from the factory like that. It had another defect on the tang but i sanded that out. But it is not bothering me because it is not affecting the use of the knife. Good eye!

19. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    The other side came ok from the factory though. But my sharpening skills are not perfect, i still make mistakes sometimes. Mostly at the tip. And I sharpen free-hand so my bevels are not perfect. I am working on improving that. When it comes to sharpening, it seems i am continuously learning. This knife is not mirror polished and beautiful like yours, but it is shiny.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    Scrim likes this.
  20. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Yeah, that side definitely looks nice and even. Uneven factory bevels are super annoying. They make it really easy to throw off a whole sharpening.

And continuously learning is the name of the game. It never ends.