Survivorman and Helle knives collaboration knife.

There are already Mora knives that run $30 or more. :confused: The Bushcraft, Mora 2000, and the Mora 2000 Neverlost are all $30 or there abouts.

They have some full tang models that are the same prices as Helle blades. $100+.

Someone mentioned that at the SHOT show, the signature models are selling for $100 even.

The production models will probably be right where the other Helle knives are price-wise.

IMO the perfect Helle would be the Viking, but with a carbon blade.

Love the new Helle / Les Stroud knife the Temagami.

Last edited:
hopefully Ken doesn't mind me posting this link to his site...

http://lundestudio.com/2011SHOTShow/helle.html

2011shotshow-01192011-02.jpg

I wonder if the "high" price for this knife has to do with the target market.

Compare it to Bear Gryll's recent Gerber. It has cheap steel and a cheap price. It's geared toward the general populace who probably owns one knife if one at all. Bear's knife will be in Wal-marts, sporting good stores all over the nation. It's for the guy or girl who is shopping and see the knife sitting on the shelf and says, "Cool! I want that! Only $**? That's not bad, I think I'll buy it."

Les Stroud' Helle knife is marketed toward us woodbums and bushcrafters who are constantly searching for the next knife and will think of nothing to drop $100-$200 on a knife to add to their collection.

I think that's why the price is high (for the moment, anyway). People will pay the price for a knife that they are searching out and seeing Les' name will only solidify the deal for most.

I think the Helle Temagami knife is priced higher because it is of far better quality. It's crafted in Norway by people who have been making knives for 80 years and not spit out of an assembly line in China somewhere like a Gerber. Just my two cents.

I think the Helle Temagami knife is priced higher because it is of far better quality. It's crafted in Norway by people who have been making knives for 80 years and not spit out of an assembly line in China somewhere like a Gerber. Just my two cents.

two of the knives that Helle markets that are VERY similar to the Temagami are about in the $70-80 (street price) range vs the $180 (presumably msrp)...

if the Temagami is $99 or so? i'd strongly consider it. esp if it comes without those indexing/spark marks on the spine. if it were $80? no brainer. $180? not so much.

Someone mentioned that at the SHOT show, the signature models are selling for $100 even.

The production models will probably be right where the other Helle knives are price-wise.

IMO the perfect Helle would be the Viking, but with a carbon blade.

$100 at the show? i wonder if less later?

i have a few contacts there... mmm. they could snag one.

man, decisions. that hurts. i hate deciding :)

Like others have said, I think it's a high price for a Helle, not compared to another company's "survival" themed knife.

The only reason it's priced higher is because of Stroud's endorsement.

Really?

I thought it was a carbon core sandwiched in stainless?

Damn, now I need to buy three. ;)

You should get a Helle Viking, it's a great knife!

If the best thing to come out of this collaboration between Les and Helle, is that more people buy other Helle knives, it's a good thing.:thumbup:

I have 2 Helle knives, I'll be getting more.. For stick tang knives I like a metal space between the handle and the blade as I think a thing tang on wood could cause handle splitting if the knife she be used roughly.. Not that I plan on abusing a knife ever, but it might be pressed into service if the need should arise, at which point I'll take the extra insurance.. My current favorite Helle is the Fjellkniven, which seems similar to the stroud model.

Back