1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Testing Banner Ads - it's not a bug, it's me screwing things up

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Spark, Jan 7, 2014.

1. RussMo

RussMo

Apr 1, 2007
    I'm just glad it's over!!! It was taking me twice as long to navigate through the forum from both my WI-FI at home and land line at work. I was almost ready to give it up when I found this was a run test. Frankly I don't have time to sit like in the old days and wait for your computer to load something up. It was almost like a large PDF file on every click of the mouse.

If money is needed, then raise the rates. If you don't want to be even a basic member, make it a ROM type (Read Only). Pay to play is the only way to go!!! Just my .02...

2. LeeBower

LeeBower

Aug 25, 2005
    Not sure what was causing the popups then, I ran full scans of both microsoft security essentials and Trend Micro house call and also ran Malwarebytes and superantispyware and got nothing.. I did the steps for removal from that link too and I didn't have anything installed or any of the registry entries they said to erase.. and I only ever got pop ups while on bladeforums.. I also did a quick check of a hijackthis log and did not see anything amiss.. then ran Rkill just in case and it did not find anything either. Not sure what was triggering the pop up, but i don't think it was a virus on my end.

3. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey

May 20, 2013
    ^^ Not sure either....I only got the pop-up 3-4 times while on BF and have yet to see it again. It also didn't behave like the link described. I didn't get any redirects or browser hi-jacking, just the pop-up that went away when closed and popped up when loading a new page. I'm also on a work computer that has pretty good internet protection (I know they aren't perfect) and it hasn't had software installed lately which is how they suggest the virus is spread.
    Not trying to place blame here or point fingers, just stating my experience in the interest of helping resolve the issue (all though it seems as if it is gone now).

4. richard thurman

richard thurman

Nov 9, 2005
    here is a thought become a gold member so you won't have to see them.

5. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey

May 20, 2013
    I've had that thought, it didn't seem worthwhile for me.

6. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I will be glad when the ads are gone. Just got a pop up again.

7. grybsh7

grybsh7 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Yeah I'm still getting 2 per page in different spots.

8. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm still getting them, i thought they were taken care of.

9. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    There's one at the bottom of every page and additionally when viewing a thread one more at the first post on that page. Spark is aware of this and said he'll take care of it after he returns from the SHOT Show.

10. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Uh if I upgrade to platinum will they go away,because they're back. :eek::confused: I have webroot installed ( not free ),btw. :)
    Lol, if that wasn't bad enough, now I'm even getting banners and pop-ups in my sleep.:eek:

11. richard thurman

richard thurman

Nov 9, 2005
    if you people are getting them then how come I am not?? I have not seen them for a couple of days for now.

12. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    I am still seeing ads. Not as many as a couple days ago but they are a couple in every thread.

13. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    There is an American Express ad in the first post on this page and some game ad on the very bottom.

14. richard thurman

richard thurman

Nov 9, 2005
    I have not seen none of the adds that where there during the test time.

15. A.l.e.x.

A.l.e.x.

Jan 1, 2013
    Hello!

Still getting ads after post 1.

Regards,
    Alex

16. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I've had ads seemingly migrating from here to other sites, which I've not had before.

17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Don't know if what I just had was a pop-up, but a floating animated ad, which blocked the text and didn't allow me to scroll past it. Ads seem to be getting worse, not better.

18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Reluctantly installed Ad-Blocker. No ads and improved loading times.

19. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    Sorry, it's been a busy work day. I'm trying to get to removing the "after first post" ad now.

20. puukkoman

puukkoman

Sep 30, 2004
    Sorry to poke a tender spot, but... will gold members be seeing the ads permanently, or will they "go away" soon?