The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, does the DEK1 have a reinforced tip? Also, since you’re doing a penetrator tip, could you make that sharpened appropriately 1” like the shiv?

No it's not reinforced, it's like an EDC. But it still has good utility as a weapon, you're just not going to be poking any holes in body armor or brick walls. The DEK1 is a weaponized EDC.

I wish that you'd use 15 or 18 DPS as the standard on these smaller knives. But then again, I don't plan on cutting nails or staples with my knives...

you would be surprised by the number of people who buy a knife and use it for years and never actually resharpen it only stropping it. A 20° edge holds up well for these people for years and years whereas the narrower edge angles that folks like you and I enjoy require more maintenance, and people doing that are able to resharpen to whatever angle they like. And remember, a true 20° per side knife, which is measured to centerline and is actually only about 15° per side relative to the bevel angle which is what some people go by, is more acute than the vast majority of knives available for people to buy. It's certainly is not very obtuse. Unless you're a knife nerd. Which I am and apparently you are too. :thumbsup:

And remember, a true 20° per side knife, which is measured to centerline and is actually only about 15° per side relative to the bevel angle which is what some people go by, is more acute than the vast majority of knives available for people to buy. It's certainly is not very obtuse. Unless you're a knife nerd. Which I am and apparently you are too. :thumbsup:

Guilty as charged, sir :D

JRukgU3.jpg

I wish that you'd use 15 or 18 DPS as the standard on these smaller knives. But then again, I don't plan on cutting nails or staples with my knives...

I've taken an EDC2 a FK2 and one HDFK down to around 15 dps and really enjoy them there. The D3V holds up damn well even at that. They have needed a bit more touch up than they would had I left them at 18 - 20 but I get all giddy and stuff when I get to use them and they go through everything like butter ... I don't mind if I may have to sharpen them a bit more often to get that performance is well worth it IMHO.

Last edited:
Maybe it's stupid but Does different steel have different weights? Or it's too small for making a difference? Like one DEK in aeb-l and one in 3V

There is some very slight differences but for all intents and purposes all steel is essentially the same weight and stiffness.

In your spare time, have you been able to work on an optimized heat treat for Cruwear?

I’m sure it won’t be ready anytime soon, but when that time comes it would be great to get a ‘hard and thin’ swedged DEK with 64-65 hrc Cruwear :eek:

Cruwear is on my radar. I've played with it. I usually do the ht optimizations over winter and we were moving the shop this year but I do plan on working on CW at some point for some specialized pieces.

Back