The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Mr.sig239 Mr.sig239 , I don't know what a "300 series custom run" is. I would describe the RDD as a "collaboration" and, to my knowledge, each of the Dr Death versions was produced in a run of 100. I may be incorrect, but I believe the light brown boxes are more recent than those used for the earlier collaboration runs including the first two versions of the RDD.

Forgive the lousy pics, as it's another dreary day in a weeks' worth of them here on the Cape, but here's what came with my RDD.

Edit: Slow on the uptake here, as I was writing while CPP CPP posted. Funny how our cards have the same number. ;)
56V2kpT.jpg

6lCoqO7.jpg
ChazzyP ChazzyP , did I cross a line by posting a picture of what is now your RDD?

ChazzyP ChazzyP , did I cross a line by posting a picture of what is now your RDD?
Not at all, my friend. I think I posted one of your RDD pics a ways back (I think in another thread) before actually taking possession, so at the very least turnaround is fair play. :p

Mr.sig239 Mr.sig239 , I just did a little Googling and I was incorrect about the number of RDD CFs made. Apparently there were 200 in that run, not 100 as I had thought. In the course of casting about for info, I discovered that there were 100 of the original all Ti RDDs produced as well as 100 Arctics built in the latest iteration of the knife.

Has anyone made/found a tool that fits onto the "custom division/collab" scale screws that look like an inverted slotted screw? The exact opposite of a standard slotted screw.
I've done some searching, but as they make their own hardware in-house, I'm not sure where I'm going to find a tool for them!
SCD111KSBLnb.jpg

https://www.shirogorov.com/forums/announcements/novosti/1308/#comm60529

Fresh from the "virtual" Arsenal Show since the pandemic has pretty much cancelled the real show! The NeOn NL I think should satisfy perhaps a bit of longing for the return of the older Lite/Ultra Lite. From what I've seen the F95NL has been pretty popular and this is the equivalent of that in a NeOn sized package. Again similar to the F95NL this is an entry-level knife that has a micarta inlay this time in burgundy and no internal milling. Even with it it seems that it's saving 9 grams of weight: 75g vs 84 on the Zero.

Perhaps the best part of all is the price, which is looking to be much cheaper than the Zero, looking at Russian prices over 30% cheaper :)

1-1586442294.jpg

2-1586442294.jpg

Personally I think a full flat grind and more traditional looking blade shape while still combining the slightly longer blade length is a great combo. The steel is Elmax just like on the F95NL and the jimping looks a bit closer to what we've seen on the full sized knives, which I think is more functional that the jimping that is now on the Zero and new F3NS

9-1586442295.jpg

A return to the simple lanyard loop on the show-side handle along with a standoff is an instant reminder of the NeOn Ultra Lite. A really interesting design element is the lack of the backspacer on the Zero which "captures" the blade tip and prevents accidental injury is now replaced with 3 horizontal rods, something that reminds me of the spine area on the Sinkevich Coordinal collaboration.

4-1586442294.jpg

5-1586442295.jpg

I like that, especially the lack of a backspacer. Might have to think about picking one of these up, IF they do something other than the micarta. I’m not a fan of insert materials.

Thanks for sharing those Shirogorov NeOn NL pics and your thoughts, mikomonday mikomonday . I followed your link over to the Workshop's website, where I've also spent time enjoying both the knives and the seemingly endless amusement of Google Translate. I noticed in Shiro's text a reference to "1M" knives and later a commenter's mention of both "1M" and "3M", which I take to be analogous to the Bear Numbers that were supposedly abandoned. Perhaps they're still being used on the other side of the pond as our Russian brothers and sisters are less easily confused than their American counterparts (?). Could be just vestigial too....

The pricing of the knife is indeed quite affordable for a Shirogorov. Using an equivalence between R1/Workshop pricing based on the HatiOn, the NeOn NL comes out at a little over 5 bills (edit, to indicate "here") which harkens back to the pricing of the the sorely missed UL, though I still and will always have mine.

While I find the NeOn a bit small for my own usual use, given both my arthritis and general preference for larger blades, I'm very fond of the features on my UL--the open-back construction with a single standoff (Google translated variously as "bonker" or "bonka" :rolleyes:) plus the single-sided lanyard attachment also featured on the F95 series. That Shiro is expanding their serial production line into more affordable models, be they "entry level, 1M, or 1 Bear", is great for introducing greater numbers of knife knuts to their knives and putting more of these great pieces in more users' hands.

Now I'm waiting for the Hati NL which Tom teased over at USN, though it may just end up as a one-off prototype. :(

a-4-1582050790.jpg

Last edited:
ChazzyP ChazzyP Indeed I do believe it's a vestigial of the bears system, however we still have some random oddities like the HatiOn Lite which was considered a "2M" model, of which I think is the only modern "2 Bears" knife...

About the HatiNL, I'm unsure where this sits at the moment. The production knives are in an interesting time as many of you know the design language and trends of the Zero and F3NS will I'm sure soon make its way to other long standing serial models. I would expect seeing as how the HatiOn Zero now by default has a lock-side inlay that the Hati if updated too (HatiNS?) would see one as well :)

As for some, has anyone noticed it's a bit weird that the F3NS just came out of nowhere? Usually the flow of features goes from custom -> Custom Division -> serial right? Probably should keep a look out soon for this year's new batch of CD knives ;)

mikomonday mikomonday , it's interesting that Shirogorov's newer design concepts flow down from their highest-end offerings rather than being trial balloons floated through their production lines. There are no serial line Shiros with "Prototype 1 of 100" laser etched on the blade as there are with other makers' offerings. ;)

On another note, I'm not that taken with the three-bar tip protection at the butt of the NeOn NL. Seems a curious add-on and not immediately attractive to these eyes. I have deliberately tried to poke myself on the unprotected tips of several of my Shiros thusly constructed just to see if there was any danger of impalement there and have not managed to injure myself either deliberately or inadvertently. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself with that assertion. :eek:

mikomonday mikomonday and ChazzyP ChazzyP I echo your sentiments on the neon NL. The 95NL being one of my favorite users, this might finally convince me to test drive one of the smaller Shiros. I agree that the tip protection seems like an afterthought, as a designer that just does not exude thoughtfulness. IF those are free floating pins that will add another difficulty during reassembly. Surely they could have made like a mini - backspacer that simply cups the blade tip or something. Other than that the changes look great, I agree the blade shape and jimping seems really usable.

Will this be on MRBS like the other neons?

Yes, they will be the standard 2 row MRBS found on serial neons that ride directly on grooves in the titanium handle.

I assume these pins aren't press fit (would be unprecedented in a Shirogorov knife) so if the pins do bother some people, it would be a simple affair to simply remove them without affecting any outwardly visible aesthetics of the knife :)

Micarta inlays on a NeOn are a quite temptation for me, I wish it had the standard Zero back-spacer though. The pins remind me of the mouth part of Hannibal the Cannibal's mask...
220px-Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.jpg

I was reminded of Bane, but his rig's more of a scale appropriate to a 111.

U0agWaQ.jpg

Reactions: CPP
mikomonday mikomonday , it's interesting that Shirogorov's newer design concepts flow down from their highest-end offerings rather than being trial balloons floated through their production lines. There are no serial line Shiros with "Prototype 1 of 100" laser etched on the blade as there are with other makers' offerings. ;)

I think this is what really makes Sergey and the whole of the Shirogorov Workshop distinct from the term manufacturers and brand as opposed to knife maker. If you stop and think, how many makers are out there that are also in charge a production-level outfit for their knives as well? You'll never see Sergey collaborating with another production company for his designs that's for sure. It's that mindset of keeping everything in-house down to even the production level that you see this inverse flow happening. Sergey's true passion still rests in seeing what cool things he can do with the customs and everything else borrows elements from that.

Back