The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

It is, Thankyou! A fellow lefty on Instagram told me there is a learning curve with this knife and he was not lying. I cut my thumb already closing it lol. It drops so fast. Also figuring out where to position my fingers when opening is taking some getting used too.
As a lefty you're probably very used to opening right handed flippers and not having to concern yourself with applying pressure to the lock bar. Just put your middle finger on the tip of the clip and you should have no problem in that regard. I have read that some Zero's take a bit of breaking in to soften up their detents. A dab of Firstline, CRK, or similar grease on the detent ball can ease that release as well as smoothing out its travel through its opening and closing arc.

Congrats on your new NeOn and welcome to the Den!

One nitpick I have about the NeOn and Hation Zero is that the detent ball needs a ramp or an earlier engagement with the blade. The larger knives, sans the Quantum, all have the detent engage the blade very early, so as soon as the lock is disengaged, the blade is past the detent and it can drop freely. Not so with the smaller knives, the blade has to travel significantly for that to happen. Almost as if that wasn't something that was thought about when the smaller models were designed

One nitpick I have about the NeOn and Hation Zero is that the detent ball needs a ramp or an earlier engagement with the blade. The larger knives, sans the Quantum, all have the detent engage the blade very early, so as soon as the lock is disengaged, the blade is past the detent and it can drop freely. Not so with the smaller knives, the blade has to travel significantly for that to happen. Almost as if that wasn't something that was thought about when the smaller models were designed

I found that an interesting observation and grabbed my F95R and NeOn UL (don't have a Zero) to compare. I traced their movements on a sheet of paper and indeed the 95 swings only 10 degrees until the detent ball hits the locking ramp edge while the NeOn swings 25 degrees to the same point. In practice, for the way I disengage and close, that presents no problem at all as the diminutive Neon flipper tab hits the corner of my thumb well after the ball is riding the tang. I can see how one could choke up further forward on the NeOn's lock bar and cause the blade ramp to catch on the detent ball, but I can do the same with the F95 to get the ball to hang up as well. I seem to just naturally disengage a bit further back--maybe it's just my short thumbs. :rolleyes:

I've never noticed any of my Shiros including the little guy being a problem with this issue and it's one of the reasons I like my Bears so well. My Hinderers, on the other hand, mostly all can present some disengagement difficulty with their long hooked flipper tabs. If I don't very deliberately stay back on the lockbar, the ball hangs up and impedes a hitch free closing. As much as I enjoy my numerous RHKs I do find that characteristic annoying. I generally have more disengagement issues with frame lock flippers than trouble opening, given my thick, short-fingered hands and arthritis. That's one of the reasons I've divested myself of most of the ZTs I've had given their usually stiff lock bars. :(

I found that an interesting observation and grabbed my F95R and NeOn UL (don't have a Zero) to compare. I traced their movements on a sheet of paper and indeed the 95 swings only 10 degrees until the detent ball hits the locking ramp edge while the NeOn swings 25 degrees to the same point. In practice, for the way I disengage and close, that presents no problem at all as the diminutive Neon flipper tab hits the corner of my thumb well after the ball is riding the tang. I can see how one could choke up further forward on the NeOn's lock bar and cause the blade ramp to catch on the detent ball, but I can do the same with the F95 to get the ball to hang up as well. I seem to just naturally disengage a bit further back--maybe it's just my short thumbs. :rolleyes:

I've never noticed any of my Shiros including the little guy being a problem with this issue and it's one of the reasons I like my Bears so well. My Hinderers, on the other hand, mostly all can present some disengagement difficulty with their long hooked flipper tabs. If I don't very deliberately stay back on the lockbar, the ball hangs up and impedes a hitch free closing. As much as I enjoy my numerous RHKs I do find that characteristic annoying. I generally have more disengagement issues with frame lock flippers than trouble opening, given my thick, short-fingered hands and arthritis. That's one of the reasons I've divested myself of most of the ZTs I've had given their usually stiff lock bars. :(
Thanks for checking! It’s nice to get numbers. This also validates how my Hation Zero felt in hand.

I recall that on the Hation Zero, if the flipper tab catches the very end of my thumb, Closure is smooth and fine from there. I can make the blade ride over the detent before I let go of the lockbar, any more and the blade stops at the detent. It just seemed dangerous as a small deviation can send the blade flying towards my thumb.

If Sergey just adjusts the location of the detent ball so it rides earlier on the lockbar during disengagement, akin to the F95, there would never be a risk of cutting your thumb. Of course, the language barrier and their lack of presence on BFs makes this just a wish.

Current Shiro collection:
doakZHs.jpg

Thanks for checking! It’s nice to get numbers. This also validates how my Hation Zero felt in hand.

I recall that on the Hation Zero, if the flipper tab catches the very end of my thumb, Closure is smooth and fine from there. I can make the blade ride over the detent before I let go of the lockbar, any more and the blade stops at the detent. It just seemed dangerous as a small deviation can send the blade flying towards my thumb.

If Sergey just adjusts the location of the detent ball so it rides earlier on the lockbar during disengagement, akin to the F95, there would never be a risk of cutting your thumb. Of course, the language barrier and their lack of presence on BFs makes this just a wish.

Tom is a shiro rep over on USN in the shiro forum.

I put a deposit on a bronzed quantum today. I’ll pay it off in a few weeks and once it’s in I’ll show it off.
When I first got my neon zero I wasn’t disappointed but I wasn’t impressed either, over time though, my appreciation for shiro has grown. Grown to the point I’m buying another and considering and nl too.
I was kind of the same way about my hation zero which was my first Shiro, but I still bought a quantum soon after. The quantum blew me away in comparison. It really feels like a totally different level of knife - I doubt you'll be disappointed!

I was kind of the same way about my hation zero which was my first Shiro, but I still bought a quantum soon after. The quantum blew me away in comparison. It really feels like a totally different level of knife - I doubt you'll be disappointed!

now I’m excited. I just may say fk it and pay the whole balance Friday so I can get it sooner.

And then there were 2
First impressions of the F3NL Bronze........I love it! The scales really pop in sunlight. (see last pic)
wuo7Nue.jpg

bihDusm.jpg

DwXogHr.jpg

wc6k9kP.jpg

AQATfmR.jpg

eo25ig2.jpg
I just ordered the exact same one! (they just came back in stock at the American dealer that shall not be named, in case anyone is looking).

Your last photo helps a lot as the stock photos kind of make all the colors look the same. Excited to get mine and hope you enjoy that one!

I just ordered the exact same one! (they just came back in stock at the American dealer that shall not be named, in case anyone is looking).

Your last photo helps a lot as the stock photos kind of make all the colors look the same. Excited to get mine and hope you enjoy that one!
I normally prefer black but I quite like bronze and copper look.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Great pics and some nice knives mpjustin! How's the action on the F3NS? Mine is scary quick and smooth right out of the box. I think Shiro found the perfect combo on this one.

Great pics and some nice knives mpjustin! How's the action on the F3NS? Mine is scary quick and smooth right out of the box. I think Shiro found the perfect combo on this one.
I agree - the action is quick and snappy. Very pleased with the QC on this one.

B0E74E81-9F02-4C1D-A1D9-A3C4152E7F8B.jpeg
Hey all! looking for recommendations for aftermarket or custom scales for my F3 in carbon fiber or maybe some canvas micarta to jazz it up a little. Contacted Dept 13 which comes highly recommended and does nice work however I would prefer somewhere state side if possible. Haven't had much luck finding readily available Shiro scales and curious where to look or do I need to find a custom maker here on the forums? Love the F3 just feel like it deserves something a little nicer looking!

Back