The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

bort2.0

Gold Member
Here are mine: Neon NL and F3. I'll keep the Neon forever, a perfectly executed small knife. The F3 is amazing, but thinner like the Hati R or the F95 would work better for me.

The F3 is in new condition. The Neon is in great shape, except I took a tumble on the ice the other day, and landed on my hip... And scuffed up the clip pretty good. No worries, it is, was, and always will be a user.

I've long since wanted a Shiro with a sheepsfoot-ish blade. That Kami that went to lottery winners looks perfect. Alas, the price tag is even more breathtaking. Any winners care to share a review here?

bort2.0

Gold Member
Here are mine: Neon NL and F3. I'll keep the Neon forever, a perfectly executed small knife. The F3 is amazing, but thinner like the Hati R or the F95 would work better for me.

The F3 is in new condition. The Neon is in great shape, except I took a tumble on the ice the other day, and landed on my hip... And scuffed up the clip pretty good. No worries, it is, was, and always will be a user.

Sold the one on the right. Have a F3 carbon fiber on the way, so will add another photo when it arrives. Then, I gotta cut back on stuff for a while (no pun intended). I guess a 111 would be fun to have something huge, but between the F3 (working knife) and the Neon (EDC), I'm all set. I buy things to use them, not to collect them. So I'm pretty excited to go from zero knives to two awesome ones so quickly.

Edgeoflife

Gold Member
Speaking of scales that pop in sunlight... hehe. Taking tendrils off the muscadines today. Should see some new growth soon!
View attachment 1526071

Just gorgeous! How do you like the Alutex scale material?

The Hati is a favorite of mine and just picked up a Hati R which is in route. I’m pretty excited about acquiring an updated version to my older Hati on washers and trying out MRBS. The older Hati has a CF show scale so not sure how that will compare to the Alutex or what that even is exactly if anyone knows? Some type of composite i assume?

bort2.0

Gold Member
Just gorgeous! How do you like the Alutex scale material?

The Hati is a favorite of mine and just picked up a Hati R which is in route. I’m pretty excited about acquiring an updated version to my older Hati on washers and trying out MRBS. The older Hati has a CF show scale so not sure how that will compare to the Alutex or what that even is exactly if anyone knows? Some type of composite i assume?

Congrats on the Hati R. I had a very very tough time saying no to it, but ended up spending more to get the carbon fiber F3. But nothing at all bad about that Hati, and happy for you that you got it!

Edgeoflife

Gold Member
Congrats on the Hati R. I had a very very tough time saying no to it, but ended up spending more to get the carbon fiber F3. But nothing at all bad about that Hati, and happy for you that you got it!

Thanks and thats a nice Neon NL you have there. Been Curious about those myself and most likely will try one out eventually. I really like the new style F3 also and look forward to seeing yours in CF. i will post up my new to me Hati R when it arrives as well.

bort2.0

Gold Member
Thanks! The Neon... I'm using it constantly. There's an identical one here for sale (maybe still FS?). Simple, smooth, and classy. I really thought about getting an F95 to match it (maroon micarta), but at least for now, I'm going to appreciate the variety.

Edgeoflife

Gold Member
The Hati R arrived today and is my first experience with MRBS. What an impressive action! Comparing the Hati R to my older Hati on washers I notice several subtle refinements. Another thing i noticed right away is a much lighter detent compared to the older Hati and even my F3 on SRBS. The lockbar tension does seem lighter than the Hati also. Did Shiro lighten their detents on later models or does it need a trip to the motherland? I Apologize for the low quality pics.

9E95B5A1-5708-4D44-B676-A182C63D18A4.jpeg DD55DCA1-D86E-4BF4-84BF-514AD50A86DC.jpeg

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
The Hati R arrived today and is my first experience with MRBS. What an impressive action! Comparing the Hati R to my older Hati on washers I notice several subtle refinements. Another thing i noticed right away is a much lighter detent compared to the older Hati and even my F3 on SRBS. The lockbar tension does seem lighter than the Hati also. Did Shiro lighten their detents on later models or does it need a trip to the motherland? I Apologize for the low quality pics.

View attachment 1534155 View attachment 1534156
I think they lightened up the tension some lately as my F3NS seems easier.

Congrats on your new Hat R, Edge! Nice scales. :)

I do believe Sig is right about the lighter detents. That would certainly be the case with the Hati after making the jump from PB washers to MRBS, but my MRBS knives certainly have less lockbar tension than those with SRBS. One of the things I look for and appreciate in flippers is how easy they are to successfully deploy with minimal force or technique and I don't care much for knives that may "fly out like a rocket" but are dependent on wicked stiff detents to do so. This doesn't seem like good mechanical design to me. Shiro is so good at getting the proportions of their flippers right that providing a freer moving pivot will allow for a lighter detent and an easier flip to open. It's amazing how surely my F95R comes out compared to my SRBS Turtle or F3, that are certainly no slouches in the flipping department themselves.

bort2.0

Gold Member
A revised family photo from me, just got the F3 NS today.

My last F3 was G10 and Elmax. This one is Carbon Fiber and M390. So... Sorta upgrades I guess. Still SRBS, and I *do* think the action on the Neon with MRBS is noticeable. Then again, the Neon is broken in, and the F3 is brand new. And how can I complain about the F3 at all?

The F3 clip is cool too, haven't seen this style apart from a few customs. Maybe just older or something. You can see the scratches on the Neon clip, too.

Question -- inside the F3, where the SRBS logo is engraved, there is also engraved I16. What does this mean? Some kind of serial number or shop number?

Edgeoflife

Gold Member
I think they lightened up the tension some lately as my F3NS seems easier.

Your F3NS is a real beauty and another model I have been eyeing a lot lately. The improvements look very nice and good to hear confirmation about the lighter detent/ lockbar tension :).

Congrats on your new Hat R, Edge! Nice scales. :)

I do believe Sig is right about the lighter detents. That would certainly be the case with the Hati after making the jump from PB washers to MRBS, but my MRBS knives certainly have less lockbar tension than those with SRBS. One of the things I look for and appreciate in flippers is how easy they are to successfully deploy with minimal force or technique and I don't care much for knives that may "fly out like a rocket" but are dependent on wicked stiff detents to do so. This doesn't seem like good mechanical design to me. Shiro is so good at getting the proportions of their flippers right that providing a freer moving pivot will allow for a lighter detent and an easier flip to open. It's amazing how surely my F95R comes out compared to my SRBS Turtle or F3, that are certainly no slouches in the flipping department themselves.

Thanks I wasn't sure how I would feel about the orange scale initially which is more of a burnt orange in person and does look nice. The Alutex material is interesting and from what I've gathered is a mix of aluminum and fiberglass vs the CF Shiro used previously. There is a little blotchiness on the scale which may just be handling/pocket wear as I did acquire from the secondary market although i have nothing to compare it to.

I appreciate the confirmation as well and sounds like my new to me Hati R is running as intended which eases my mind. The MRBS has a very different feel that my 3 other Shiros, (Tabargan on washers, Hati on washers, and the F3 on SRBS as mentioned previously), and I am happy to have this one added to the collection. While I like them all, I really do like the Hati models, being light weight for the size as well as the slim feel in pocket. The Hati R definitely deploys with considerably less effort as you described in comparison to my other bears which is nice :cool:. I think this one will be getting a lot of pocket time :).

Edgeoflife

Gold Member
A revised family photo from me, just got the F3 NS today.

My last F3 was G10 and Elmax. This one is Carbon Fiber and M390. So... Sorta upgrades I guess. Still SRBS, and I *do* think the action on the Neon with MRBS is noticeable. Then again, the Neon is broken in, and the F3 is brand new. And how can I complain about the F3 at all?

The F3 clip is cool too, haven't seen this style apart from a few customs. Maybe just older or something. You can see the scratches on the Neon clip, too.

Question -- inside the F3, where the SRBS logo is engraved, there is also engraved I16. What does this mean? Some kind of serial number or shop number?

Congrats on the F3! Carbon Fiber scales always look great!

My quantum has been waiting for me at home while I’ve been out of state working. I’ll finally get to play with it Sunday. The cheburkov wolf paws too.

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey folks! It’s been a while since I’ve been in the Den...

I’m curious, does anyone have a new Neon NL and a Hation for size comparison?
I’m super interested in the Neon NL but had a CF Hation and it was too small for my hand.

Thanks in advance Denizens!!