The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Thanks!

Hrmm... Guess I need to decide if it's worth the hassle of selling and then re-buying. Otherwise, what an excellent and beautiful knife!
I just went back and looked at your post on the previous page and saw your new F3 is the NS. That model was introduced just over a year ago with an MRBS pivot. This, from Tom, the Shiro rep over at USN back on 2/22/20--
"The F3 NS is a logical continuation and development of the F3R model.... The F3NS comes with M390 blade steel, MRBS multi-row bearing system with steel underlays, CF scales, and milled liners."

I don't believe the NS ever had SRBS. MRBS knives have those letters engraved inside the lockside slab near the top. SRBS knives have a circle with a single rank of dots around the perimeter on the lockside slab near the pivot. Both my older F95 Turtle and F3 Python have those identical SRBS markings.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Guess I was wrong about the model then, whoops. It's definitely an F3 with CF scales, M390, and SRBS (I see the logo inside, def the SRBS).

Is that a different model number, or just an F3?

I believe that yours is just an earlier F3 model. Newer ones have single screw pocket clips and MRBS.
Yours is still a great lusted after knife!

Phil's correct, B bort2.0 . I looked harder at your pic and your F3 is definitely not an NS--different clip with scales all the way to the liner edge and no jimping in the CF. You confirmed SRBS so your knife also predates the F3R, but Phil is also correct that it's a fine one indeed. I'm very pleased with my SRBS/S30V F3 and would not consider replacing it, though that wouldn't stop me from adding an MRBS/M390 F3NS to my stupidly large accumulation if the urge hit. I didn't replace my F95T--just added an F95R to the mix. :rolleyes:

Nice knife you've got there, regardless, and congrats on picking that one up. :thumbsup:

I’m finding myself missing having a Shiro in my collection. I’ve owned four different Shiro’s and all at the same time. The F95 were a little too large for my hands...the last one was sold to another member here, because he is a friend and it was his “grail.”

I believe the Neon and Hation were the same size scalewise. I’m still trying to find out if the handle is longer on the Neon NL than on a Hation. So perhaps if anyone has an original Neon and a Neon NL for a comparison photo...that would be greatly appreciated. :)

I’m finding myself missing having a Shiro in my collection. I’ve owned four different Shiro’s and all at the same time. The F95 were a little too large for my hands...the last one was sold to another member here, because he is a friend and it was his “grail.”

I believe the Neon and Hation were the same size scalewise. I’m still trying to find out if the handle is longer on the Neon NL than on a Hation. So perhaps if anyone has an original Neon and a Neon NL for a comparison photo...that would be greatly appreciated. :)
I only have the NeOn Ultra-Lite which is dimensionally the same as the NeOn Lite, the original model. Those knives have 80 mm blades and 108 mm handles. The HatiOn and NL models are based on the newer NeOn Zero pattern which, aside from a few other changes, is marginally larger with an 85 mm blade and 110 mm handle. Here's a pic I leeched from my friend Tom, the Shiro rep over at USN.

92rcRl4.jpg

This second purloined pic is probably a better representation of what the slightly more than 1/16" difference between the two platforms actually looks like.

K4ctm3B.jpg

For those seeking one out, the mid-sized Shiro seems to be the same elusive, mythical sort of creature as the mid-sized CRK. :(

I only have the NeOn Ultra-Lite which is dimensionally the same as the NeOn Lite, the original model. Those knives have 80 mm blades and 108 mm handles. The HatiOn and NL models are based on the newer NeOn Zero pattern which, aside from a few other changes, is marginally larger with an 85 mm blade and 110 mm handle. Here's a pic I leeched from my friend Tom, the Shiro rep over at USN.

92rcRl4.jpg

This second purloined pic is probably a better representation of what the slightly more than 1/16" difference between the two platforms actually looks like.

K4ctm3B.jpg

For those seeking one out, the mid-sized Shiro seems to be the same elusive, mythical sort of creature as the mid-sized CRK. :(

Chazzy, thank you. That helped a lot. Oh the decisions...I really want to try the Neon NL out, but I fear it will be too small.

Truer words were not spoken...the medium size Shiro’s and Crk’s are elusive...thank goodness for Cheburkov. :D

Thanks again, my friend. That really did help. I think the grip may be a touch longer on the bottom side of the scales, which is where the Hation was a touch too short.
May just have to pull the trigger on the Neon NL and give it a fair chance when they become available.

And now back to the regularly scheduled program...thanks for letting me butt in, Denizens. Much appreciated.

Thanks everyone! Maybe it's just the feeling of being a novice and spending a bunch of money, and needing to feel validated. Silly, but it's human!

I didn't but it here... I don't think I got a great deal on it, but I don't think I overpaid either. Just good to know that it's a good and well respected knife.

I plan to use it, and to use the @#_! out of it. But damn, using it the first time and making the first cut is a difficult decision.

I guess I'm being ridiculous. I should stop. :)

This is why I was excited about the Kami. Sits right in between the Neon/Hation 3.35” blade and the 95’s 3.75” blade with a blade that is 3.5” - and a more “wharncliffe-esque” tip!

View attachment 1535065

This is why I was excited about the Kami. Sits right in between the Neon/Hation 3.35” blade and the 95’s 3.75” blade with a blade that is 3.5” - and a more “wharncliffe-esque” tip!

View attachment 1535065

yes sir! That is a freaking beautiful knife you got there. How is the scale thickness?

Thanks everyone! Maybe it's just the feeling of being a novice and spending a bunch of money, and needing to feel validated. Silly, but it's human!

I didn't but it here... I don't think I got a great deal on it, but I don't think I overpaid either. Just good to know that it's a good and well respected knife.

I plan to use it, and to use the @#_! out of it. But damn, using it the first time and making the first cut is a difficult decision.

I guess I'm being ridiculous. I should stop. :)
Not ridiculous or silly at all. It took me quite a while to relax and use my first Shiro (F3, BTW) even a little. That one is still a lighter, EDC sorta carry despite having a faint blade scratch and some worse marks on the clip. Now my Turtle, Hati, and Tabargan are all work users, so time will get you chilled out about actually cutting stuff with your NL and F3.

Really appreciate that. I've been using the Neon a lot, and feel pretty good about that now. Will get to the F3 in due time. I'm a big proponent of buying things right the first time, instead of spending more time and money to buy 10 wrong things.

I'm slowly but surely rebuilding and remodeling my whole house, so for that alone...

Back